IGNORED

Marvel Movies [formerly MCU]

Rubin Farr

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

new avengers starts off really badly, and only gets a bit better as it goes along. only a few cool parts, mostly fairly lame. was something fake and computer-gamey about the whole thing. the dialog was crap too, real lazy shit, whedon phoned this one in.

he pretty much admitted that it was a disaster in a very polite way. He said the first day of shooting they only had the one actress (who played scarlett witch) because 'everyone else was having babies' to film the very last act of the movie on the floating city. As soon as he yelled 'action' Joss Wheadon experienced panic because nobody on the movie team nor him actually imagined or mapped out what Scarlett witch's powers were supposed to do or look like on screen. So in terms of why the movie's CGI looked so piss poor/lazy and rushed I'd wager that he actually didn't have the resources or time to actually stage properly the scenes which would have CGI added to them (compare Elysium's effects to Avengers Age of Ultron, elysium looks like it came out ten years later). Another part of the reason why the action looked coherent and visually goot in Avengers part 1 is because almost the entire city of New York set was redone in cgi. A lot of the action in Age of Ultron takes place on real/non cgi backdrops where it doesn't look properly blended.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

The worst part of avengers was the script I felt. I wish they had done more like the first one with only some emotional scenes that last maybe a minute tops and then have more of the "distant" action stuff. More impersonal I guess. The romance between black widow and banner felt out of place. I didn't like most of the locations. Whether the farm or the old european city. I've only seen it once in theater and in 3d, so I need to see bluray to really get a full grip on it. I felt like vision was the most interesting, Ultron was okay. I'm not sure how 'deep' it will go in infinity wars, but I really like all the insinuations in ultron about humanity being doomed, the blending of jarvis and the ultron code, etc. I dig all of that sci-fi supernatural stuff more than any of the human drama. If they wanted to do like a "hero in a dark place" movie it needs more time to grow and more time in general, rather than rushing it like they did in this. Also more futuristic scenery or at least the city. I liked the locations of cap america winter soldier and avengers 1. age of ultron with an ai felt inherently futuristic to me but they didn't do that. Well I mean for the first 1/4th of the movie or so, I remember liking the locations. Also Ultron should survive for future movies, if all they had to do was destroy the physical body ultron was building, then the whole point of ultron is gone, namely that he is "code on the internet" and is fucking hard to get rid of. I really hated it when they introduced that body and then made that the point. But again they couldn't do it otherwise because ultron couldn't be like a superbadass indestructible thing. Which is why if they thought it through a bit more, maybe they could have found a cool way to "pause" ultron or capture / scare him away somehow, but without using that stupid body as the target and thus maintaining more of the menace.

I'm not sure if I'm putting too much into the marvel movies. Maybe they are just shallow superhero movies that use ancient storytelling tropes without any depth, but I know how much I loved winter soldier and the secret wars comics recently and such, so there is something there

Edited by coax

the way ultron and the vision acted and were portrayed on screen overshadowed everything else in the movie for me. Even captain america, who i really started to dig after Winter soldier was demoted to his caricature status from the 1st avengers. I agree the script was a mess as a whole, individual parts of it i thought were good though.

the way ultron and the vision acted and were portrayed on screen overshadowed everything else in the movie for me. Even captain america, who i really started to dig after Winter soldier was demoted to his caricature status from the 1st avengers. I agree the script was a mess as a whole, individual parts of it i thought were good though.

It really should have just been Iron Man 4; Stark builds Ultron, Ultron builds Vision. Maybe with a cameo by Banner, the rest of the plot, settings, and characters were completely irrelevant.

i dont know, i never really thought iron man was a particularly strong part of the marvel cinematic universe. I was pretty much a 'hater' since the first iron movie tbh, and i couldn't even make it through the Ed norton hulk . Until i had seen Thor and the Avengers I wasn't really convinced the connected marvel universe would work in film form. I almost would have preferred them go a more campy route and have Hank Pym from Ant Man do it like in the original comic.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

• 1 month later...

O1ZVIa9.jpg

edit: Sinister, eh?

maybe someone, somewhere will construe this one as a spoiler:

b4oZxqg.jpg

oh god it looks so nasty, who oks this shit. Then again i didn't like the early shots from guardians and it was pretty great. This will not be great though, look at that shit, nothing like actors in some sort of warehouse to know you're in for a cheapo ride.

Ant-Man 6/10 big disappointment, obviously Edgar Wright's sloppy seconds. Nothing really cool except the macro photography, standard hero's journey. Two Avengers teasers at the end.

Fox is so scared this Fantastic Four reboot will bomb, they have: canceled the 3D version, and come up with a lame X-Men crossover movie to save their Marvel franchises.

http://benfalkyahoomovies.tumblr.com/post/124844030094/bryan-singer-confirms-plans-for-x-men-fantastic

terrible practical makeup job for Apocalypse, looks like a made for TV monster movie.

Yeah he looks like a Star Trek:DS 9 background alien.

Seriously how the fuck do you go from this:

X-Men-Apocalypse-Bryan-Singer1.jpg

to that abomination posted above.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jan/21/superheroes-cultural-catastrophe-alan-moore-comics-watchmen

"To my mind, this embracing of what were unambiguously children's characters at their mid-20th century inception seems to indicate a retreat from the admittedly overwhelming complexities of modern existence," he wrote to Ó Méalóid. "It looks to me very much like a significant section of the public, having given up on attempting to understand the reality they are actually living in, have instead reasoned that they might at least be able to comprehend the sprawling, meaningless, but at-least-still-finite 'universes' presented by DC or Marvel Comics. I would also observe that it is, potentially, culturally catastrophic to have the ephemera of a previous century squatting possessively on the cultural stage and refusing to allow this surely unprecedented era to develop a culture of its own, relevant and sufficient to its times."C

Edited by bossman

It could that bold so when they run the filter over it it won't wash out as much, my grandfather used to have to use pink instead of white when he was making film because the white with all the lights they had to have on set would be too reflective. We'll see, i'm defo in the anti-camp camp atm.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jan/21/superheroes-cultural-catastrophe-alan-moore-comics-watchmen

"To my mind, this embracing of what were unambiguously children's characters at their mid-20th century inception seems to indicate a retreat from the admittedly overwhelming complexities of modern existence," he wrote to Ó Méalóid. "It looks to me very much like a significant section of the public, having given up on attempting to understand the reality they are actually living in, have instead reasoned that they might at least be able to comprehend the sprawling, meaningless, but at-least-still-finite 'universes' presented by DC or Marvel Comics. I would also observe that it is, potentially, culturally catastrophic to have the ephemera of a previous century squatting possessively on the cultural stage and refusing to allow this surely unprecedented era to develop a culture of its own, relevant and sufficient to its times."C

From this quote it is apparent that this guy is a douche who himself has no 'understanding of the reality that he is actually living in'. What were people watching in the mid-20th century, they were watching pulp film noir, pulp westerns, horror and huge budget fantasy epics. This stuff is nothing new, what would he have us watch, probably the most dire of dire director trolling the audience with painfully awful 'arty' story telling about some socially disenfranchised or backward sort who doesn't even get a chance to overcome, they die a miserabloe death and everybody doesn't bother with the popcorn and leaves the film fucking early because their "REALITY THAT THEY ARE ACTUALLY LIVING IN" is already fucking bleak and they go to the movies for escapism.

This btw, probably helps explain the rise of the superhero films, the fact that everyone is so economically screwed at the moment. It's also worth noting that box office receipts rise in economic downturns.

fucking guardian, what a load of pointless leftie understand nothing but still without any self awareness contemptibly poo poo everybody, hatehole. And i'm left wing.

I understand what you're saying

but i think as adults these stories don't serve us well, especially in the hands of big studios. the marvel/dc colorful aynrandyness of men imbued with advanced powers&abilities protecting, governing the seemingly innoccuous, impotent populace from dangers beyond their capability & understanding is sorta a dangerous idea to keep cramming in the eyeballs & brains of kids, no'? &the fact that so many adults, especially parents are eating this stuff up so fervently as the world around them looms scary and big just feeds this idea of latent impotence against such an ineffable reality lurking outside the home theater..

If you want to blame anyone, don't blame the people, instead blame hollywood and the five corporations that control most of the media that the US watches/reads/listens to, it's not like there's much choice out there beyond what is fed to the masses. Not to mention, most people aren't cut out for high brow entertainment are they. Also everything i said before, read it again.

As and adjunct to the second to last sentence in the above paragraph i will add an anecdote that goes against the spirit of that sentence. Back when BBC two supported the program civilisation, it was ridiculed as a costly white elephant that noone would watch. Turns out that it was spectacularly popular and the public religiously watched every episode. So perhaps people do want to learn things that are outside of their usual comfort zone, and if it's done right you will educate the population and end up with a richer more satisfying culture as a result.

Unfortunately that doesn't make happy mindless consumers does it, plus all the stuff i said in my previous post, read that again.