IGNORED

Programming

zlemflolia

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see, so technically it's just a more parsimonious way to explain shit...if im getting it right.

Googles "parsimonious" - Nope, nope it's not.

mHDlfoi.gif

hmm..explaining the same stuf with less parameters is parsimony, thats pretty much how mokz put it I think.

Please continue to derail this thread with a 3d video demonstration of this rotation of the imaginary plane stuff

Hm, I don't know of one, but you should watch this video regardless:

I'll keep looking later though, in a hurry now.

well ok i'm not en expert obviously but those are all abstract systems that might have some usage in some fields as mokz said . i mean you can say that 2+2=flol and see where it can be applicable.

do complex numbers describe something natural that real numbers can't ?

Quantum mechanics. In QM, complex numbers are absolutely necessary, because probability amplitudes are complex. This can cause interference between events: If we're considering outcome O, which can result in two possible ways A and B, with probability amplitudes a and b resp., then the probability of O is a^2 + b^2 + 2abcos(p) where p is the angle between the complex numbers a and b. the 2abcos(p) term can cause destructive interference, where the amplitudes cancel out like a wave, i.e., if -2abcos(p) = a^2 + b^2, then the probability of O is zero, even though the probabilities for A and B aren't.

You can't dodge the bullet; real probabilities don't do that. The necessity for complex numbers in physics is way deeper and more extensive than this, that's just the simplest way to see it.

Please continue to derail this thread with a 3d video demonstration of this rotation of the imaginary plane stuff

Hm, I don't know of one, but you should watch this video regardless:

I'll keep looking later though, in a hurry now.

well ok i'm not en expert obviously but those are all abstract systems that might have some usage in some fields as mokz said . i mean you can say that 2+2=flol and see where it can be applicable.

do complex numbers describe something natural that real numbers can't ?

Quantum mechanics. In QM, complex numbers are absolutely necessary, because probability amplitudes are complex. This can cause interference between events: If we're considering outcome O, which can result in two possible ways A and B, with probability amplitudes a and b resp., then the probability of O is a^2 + b^2 + 2abcos(p) where p is the angle between the complex numbers a and b. the 2abcos(p) term can cause destructive interference, where the amplitudes cancel out like a wave, i.e., if -2abcos(p) = a^2 + b^2, then the probability of O is zero, even though the probabilities for A and B aren't.

You can't dodge the bullet; real probabilities don't do that. The necessity for complex numbers in physics is way deeper and more extensive than this, that's just the simplest way to see it.

what's your field, man?

• 2 weeks later...

awesome dude! I've been tempted to legally ;) download Unity. Do you recommend it? I'm thinking of doing artsy games or whatever similar. It's coded with C#, right?

awesome dude! I've been tempted to legally ;) download Unity. Do you recommend it? I'm thinking of doing artsy games or whatever similar. It's coded with C#, right?

I love it. I read some article earlier in the year about a person who wrote an AI bot to make games using Unity and I thought - Fuck if an AI can do this surely I can. Since then I've fell in love with Unity. You can do any type of game you want, and you have the choice of either coding them up in C#, Javascript, and Boo. I never tried C# before, I'm sorta falling in love with it. Also that was all done with the free version.

i did the ludum dare thing. I made a game about a shark that eats people :) This is how I did it.

I have never heard the music in the youtube video, love the first three tracks - who did em and what are they called?

Those are all songs by me :)

They are on my 2013 album Rampaging on Wax.

The first one is K9 Pharaoh, then Sovereign Factions, and last is My Drinking Song

Cool. I didn't knew there was a "free" version. Gonna try it :)

Depending upon how "artsy" you want your game, you should certainly compare the differences between the Free and Pro versions. The Pro version has some fancy graphics enhancements that I can't say I've needed for any of my games ... yet.

And feel free to ask if you have any questions. I'm in the middle of making a 2D platformer and I'm designing my first major boss battle in it. The kinds of things you think about are usually best bounced off other people who making games as well.

I really want to learn java because it would be useful for my work, but it's so damn alien to me I feel out of my depth even trying to learn the basics.

Depending upon how "artsy" you want your game, you should certainly compare the differences between the Free and Pro versions. The Pro version has some fancy graphics enhancements that I can't say I've needed for any of my games ... yet.

And feel free to ask if you have any questions. I'm in the middle of making a 2D platformer and I'm designing my first major boss battle in it. The kinds of things you think about are usually best bounced off other people who making games as well.

thanks dude! And yeah, I mean I won't be making a super graphics charged game and shit like that. What I have in mind is something in the style of "To The Moon" or Limbo. I think it can be done with it, right? At least a simple game but similar.

Yeah you can definitely do a To the Moon or Limbo style game with the free version of Unity. Limbo has this sorta .. lens filter effect on it that make subtle distortion, something like that would be easier with the Pro version but is accomplishable with the free one as well.

Guest Jonah

i wish the pro audio features were in the the free version w/o all the graphics stuff. i made a fun, useable playable "sequencer" / real time effects processor within a few days. i dunno for 1.5k i'd rather get dedicated audio gear, i think, but it is interesting.... even the free version is neat, but you can't do all that much dsp. but fun panning and positional sound shit...

actually though.... if i had super audio dsp chops making a 1st or 3rd person virtual world for people to place musicians, instruments, mics, speakers, let them plug stuff in, turn knobs with a idealized game character, studio space and slave engineer minions would sell really well, i think. it'd be like the sims or dungeon keeper crossed with those drummers from logic x. talk to a musician to bring up their sequencer. quantize by hiring a session player. lol old school producer style. tbh, i could probably even get away with it sounding like shit if it looked expensive....maybe....

working on a MIPS32 processor simulator in c++ right now

got it where I can encode any instruction written as text, and decode any encoded instruction back into text again. its pretty cool

now i just need to write like 350+ functions to change the internal state of my processor object for each instruction lol. add, addi, addiu, sub, basic shit. BUt then some weird shit like C.UEQ.PS and LUXC1 and all sorts of things i have no idea what they do (yet) as theres hundreds of these and i havent read them all. I think i'll ignore the more OSdev oriented instructions since nobody would ever use this program for that

once im done with this ill move on to making a gameboy color emulator.

i wish the pro audio features were in the the free version w/o all the graphics stuff. i made a fun, useable playable "sequencer" / real time effects processor within a few days. i dunno for 1.5k i'd rather get dedicated audio gear, i think, but it is interesting.... even the free version is neat, but you can't do all that much dsp. but fun panning and positional sound shit...

actually though.... if i had super audio dsp chops making a 1st or 3rd person virtual world for people to place musicians, instruments, mics, speakers, let them plug stuff in, turn knobs with a idealized game character, studio space and slave engineer minions would sell really well, i think. it'd be like the sims or dungeon keeper crossed with those drummers from logic x. talk to a musician to bring up their sequencer. quantize by hiring a session player. lol old school producer style. tbh, i could probably even get away with it sounding like shit if it looked expensive....maybe....

Nice, I also was pretty pissed off at the audio features in the free version. The fact that I couldn't assign a low pass filter to the master bus for my shark game was insulting.

I think your game idea sounds great but also a ton of work. Good luck with that :)

I'm just digging into Cinema 4D and I will be the first to admit that I'm a complete noob! My version of that game would look like shit!

Guest Jonah

I was about to dive into some obj-c books... While that's probably still a good idea, I'm tempted to just focus on swift now.

do you know c? if not, imo swift and c then meet in the middle latter if you need to could be good.

ime c before obj-c made things way smoother, but you have to kind of get into and appreciate just doing and learning at 1st because it's a while before you make anything sexy. so it helped to work with something quite different because if it's too close to c it's easy to start thinking c is fucking stupid because it is - and it isn't :) and higher level when i needed a break - i used max or whatever, swift seems cool or at least cheaper. ;)

but, yeah, swift could be this generation's BASIC. a fast, fun gateway into programing that gets kids over the hump (self confidence that you can solve problems), because honestly it's not that hard once you get over it, but it seems (and then becomes for most people) incredibly hard until you do.

rad that they have something called "playgrounds" as like a big FU to all the "pros" that "don't use toys" to create. sure, some people can be creative when they aren't having fun, but they all end up committing suicide early on in life....!

dunno gonna read the book and try it.

i think part of the reason we've seen a stagnation and i even feel somewhat of a regression in the music and other art over the last 10ish years is that the methods of communicating with our technology haven't kept pace with what it's capable of doing and in a lot of ways become more obtuse - but it's great we are starting to see a reversal in that with some new options. hopefully we've just been in a momentary lull.

not being nostalgic, i don't think, in that the amount of fucking weird "personal" programs took a dramatic u turn. and the computer went from being something to do things in a new way, to broaden your understanding of the world and increase your perception to being these magic boxes that somehow make you more productive and social just by owning and using one. it's sold as a thing to use to fit in rather than to break out.

like it goes from...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crbfSY6vf7s

...it gets more affordable, but more business like...

...to using other people's tools to "empower" you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaOvHKG0Tio

I know Java, JavaScript, and Python. I think I'll go ahead and go through these Obj-C books, as it'll be some time before Swift stands alone, I imagine... People will still have old Obj-c that will need supporting for many years so i should be familiar with it. Once I get through these books then I'll start looking at swift more seriously.

Archived