IGNORED

Programming

zlemflolia

Coded a 128 byte intro in x86 assembler for a little competition I have with my friends.. :mu-ziq: Haven't really done any 16-bit x86 assembler in the last ten years but it all came back pretty quickly.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been searching for a viable programming solution to all my pointless-idea needs. I used to program almost anything I wanted with BASIC and my TI-83, but since throwing my calculator away ( :-( ), I need something new. Due to doing web coding shit for the past 15 years, I've concluded that maybe the best option to create my programs is java/javascript/node.js/php-- you know, that whole powerpack ultrapunch of web-based utilities. Combined with the awesomeness of modern css, I figure I could make anything quite pretty and snazzy. The php would mostly be for spider shit and statistical analysis, node.js for realtime game/comm related shit, and js for whatever pointless else. (the last computer based programming I did was on Chipmunk Basic, ha-!)

But can anyone hardcore dyudes/dyudettes recommend to me maybe a self-contained world of programming that can accomplish all my pointless programming needs in a convenient and efficient manner? Any IDM insight much appreciated. Thoughts on Xojo, if any (which I just learnt of now, after remembering I used to fuck with real basic)...

An example of the type of shit I'd be working on (and have been working on in non-code-specific logic): Web crawler to gather text from various forums, create grammatical rules to analyze text data and output emotional trends on various tingz; for purposes of cross-referencing data on other topics for correlation, over time. Facial recognition pointlessness, to connect with your butt.

@peace7: Try Python

Well- if you could elaborate on benefits, that'd be cool. Or I could research! Because from a technical perspective, I could use Java for almost anything. Or I could be a real hard ass and use BASIC, writing 20,000 lines of code just to draw a sprite.

Extensive libraries, fast development, etc. There's a python library for almost anything.

python.png

Guest jasondonervan

198h0qtvpap0mpng.png

I need to up my programming game - my job doesn't exactly call for anything particularly taxing in that department, but I used to enjoy the buzz from just coding away. I should have a dig around in this thread for some inspiration!

Extensive libraries, fast development, etc. There's a python library for almost anything.

Dead easy to crawl web pages, harvest and manipulate text data, etc.

Dead easy to crawl web pages, harvest and manipulate text data, etc.

Thanks d00dz. You both formally have pre-invites to my crystal castles that I build using purely Python. (I've already downloaded a Python book, thanks-- buuut I wanna get an e-ink e-book reader, no backlight, cuz I'm sick of reading on a computer)

python.png

lel

never really tried an interpreted language....

getting more and more into C, does that have an xkcd too? something with secret underground tunnels which you can use to crawl to places where nobody else gets, but if you take the wrong turn you will die a horrible & slow death...?

lel

never really tried an interpreted language....

getting more and more into C, does that have an xkcd too? something with secret underground tunnels which you can use to crawl to places where nobody else gets, but if you take the wrong turn you will die a horrible & slow death...?

Well, in my experience this one is pretty accurate in regards to working in a HUGE C project. It took about an hour to compile everything from scratch.. :cisfor:

compiling.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'm programming a game where you are a cow that breaks free from a slaughter house and kills things by either shooting it with milk from its udders or shitting explosive cowpies.

You can also drink beer to power yourself up.

First level and boss done.

[youtubehd]g3a9MBISI4s[/youtubehd]

I'm doing CS50 at harvardX, already know some bash, html etc, would swift be a logical next step after i have got all the fundamentals or is it something I should follow on after python/perl etc?

I'm programming a game where you are a cow that breaks free from a slaughter house and kills things by either shooting it with milk from its udders or shitting explosive cowpies.

You can also drink beer to power yourself up.

First level and boss done.

[youtubehd]g3a9MBISI4s[/youtubehd]

beautiful. I really like it, and the music is nice too.

which language, platform, are you using?

edit:

Unity.

Sweet game! Graphics remind me a bit of that meatball game...? uh, whatever it was.

Aesthetically, perhaps flat colors would be good for the wood bits? Cuz that super blocky style is nice.

Yeah, I haven't quite figured out the aesthetic yet.

I only did that super blocky style cuz i'm shit at drawing. The guts are bit too high quality to match as well, but I really like how they turned out.

Yeah, I haven't quite figured out the aesthetic yet.

I only did that super blocky style cuz i'm shit at drawing. The guts are bit too high quality to match as well, but I really like how they turned out.

Maybe look at some of the Cactussquid ( http://cactusquid.com/games.htm ) and Messhof ( http://www.messhof.com/ ) games. They seem to have a similar style of your sprites with the 'high res' particle effects.

• 1 month later...

Anyone messing with Swift?

I started a day ago.

I actually feel like its charming the pants off me in some reguards, and not in others.

I read the swift manual the day after it was announced, and was very pleased with what I saw. I am, however focusing on C/C++/objectice-c for now, as there will be a lot of legacy code for sometime, that I want to be able to understand. Also,a lot of the lower level stuff like core audio etc is in C, and so I want to really know how to use that. I do really look forward to getting hands on with swift soon though.

My Mandelbrot set viewer is coming along beautifully. Making it in C++ and Qt. Makes high quality images. Just wish there was a cross platform floating point type longer than "long double" - it gets pixelated when you zoom in too far because of rounding errors

aCjrB.png

Question:

So I have decent skills in Processing, also I'm learning Pure Data (but I guess it isn't that much of a versatile language). Which language should I learn next? I like to do creative cool stuff, no boring databases and shit like that. C++, Java, C#, Python, or any other?

Archived