IGNORED

Programming

zlemflolia

I'm testing the waters with vi / vim.. Someone please reassure me this editor is worth it.

I've progressed barely beyond simple configuration and changing my color scheme. It's already a

bit overwhelming.

I know a bit of vi from my days as a unix sys admin. I wouldn't bother learning it again, use emacs instead.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of my friends swear on vim. They even use Firefox and Visual Studio plugins to emulate the vim interface on them..

I have to use vim now and then because it has been configured as the default editor on some systems, but I prefer emacs/xemacs.

yeah, with vi/vim it's a choice of either selling your soul to it and learn about all these otherworldly functionalities which are hidden within behind a wall of incredible blandness, or don't invest in it and basically go for the emacs route. i haven't sold my soul, but knew people who did. those people always tend to be glad they did. but it's hard to tell wether they're being honest, or they have so much invested they cannot admit it was a waste of time. there is a lot of macro-like stuff which is pretty impressive, btw. so it might be a good investment if you want to go hardcore.

• 2 months later...

I'm interested in Haskell.. tried it out a little, but I need a goal/project to get me going.. I can program in C variants, but I don't really use the skill.. Learned LISP back in school and I can appreciate it, but I would never think of making any practical use out of it.

Has anyone played with the Logic Pro X MIDI plug-in Scripter? You can use JavaScript to make your own MIDI plugins... Super fun to approach music from a programming perspective!

so i'm a vim diehard and swear by it but I strongly suspect that its because i've been using it since I was a wee lad so its rather ingrained into my brain. I can't use another editor or I start getting grumpy.

It's great, but given its steep learning curve and that there are a multitude of wonderful feature filled editors and IDE's in 2014, I can't find myself promoting learning it if you don't already know it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Hope this isn't too off-topic, but it seems like you guys might be of some help.

So I'm thinking that my design job prospects aren't that great unless I have some programming know-how (in addition to all the Adobe software and all that standard stuff). I've been doing some "lessons" at codeacademy.com, and its seems like pretty simple stuff (Ive gone through the HTML and CSS lessons, working on Javascript now). Does anyone have any tips for getting better at programming? (or at least achieve moderate competence without going back to school).

Hope this isn't too off-topic, but it seems like you guys might be of some help.

So I'm thinking that my design job prospects aren't that great unless I have some programming know-how (in addition to all the Adobe software and all that standard stuff). I've been doing some "lessons" at codeacademy.com, and its seems like pretty simple stuff (Ive gone through the HTML and CSS lessons, working on Javascript now). Does anyone have any tips for getting better at programming? (or at least achieve moderate competence without going back to school).

Read books about it, bro. Simple as that.

Nobody got good at programming reading books.

Does anyone have any tips for getting better at programming?

write code often. it's a practice, you lose your ability if you don't keep it up. think of applications that you'd like to see and write them yourself. you'll learn heaps of stuff along the way, both in terms of new skills and in terms of best practice.

I had an idea - a long time ago now - to write a fancy shell application for Windows that would incorporate both command-line elements and GUI elements. wanted it to be fast, flexible, and allow for as much keyboard functionality as possible so you wouldn't have to move a hand to the mouse unless you absolutely needed to (I hate doing that).

Nobody got good at programming reading books.

Well, I mean, learning from books and applying that shit with your own projects. I don't think that codeacademy and similar are enough.

Guest fiznuthian

Programming is a really beautiful thing..

If I had one serious piece of advice though it is take care of your position, typing habits, ergonomics, etc.. And take frequent breaks.
I recently went through a phase of wanting to change careers and so spent a bunch of time learning python and javascript, then started to ease into C/C++..
Then my pain problems started.. now I can't type for too long on the computer or my nerves/tendons flare up again.

Ended up saying fuck it all.. my arms just don't seem to heal completely from it.

If I had one serious piece of advice though it is take care of your position, typing habits, ergonomics, etc.. And take frequent breaks.

I recently went through a phase of wanting to change careers and so spent a bunch of time learning python and javascript, then started to ease into C/C++..

Then my pain problems started.. now I can't type for too long on the computer or my nerves/tendons flare up again.

Ended up saying fuck it all.. my arms just don't seem to heal completely from it.

what is your career, bro?

Guest fiznuthian

what is your career, bro?

Currently nothing.. I was working in a warehouse regulating shipments from hundreds of vendors for Backcountry.com, but then I quit because management were getting paid too much to act like gradeschoolers. They severely underpay their employees too.

Right now i'm self-studying horticulture and soil-less culture systems, hoping that a local hydroponic greenhouse will scoop me up.

• 1 month later...
Guest OJCensor

C/C++. Wrote a game engine in C++ with SDL/OpenGL (about 50k lines). Been using Scipy (Python environment for Matlab type stuff) to research methods for continuous collision detection under translation + rotation.

Currently learning Haskell, taking a detour to brush up on my maths & category theory. Haskell is really great I'm tempted to try it for a game engine. The other day I wrote a Haskell program to brute-force calculate the number of unique cyclically invariant drum patterns for a 16-step drum track (answer: 4115).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived