IGNORED

Jay Z raps over gonjasufi track on his new album

Ivan Ooze

Just heard this track from his new album on the radio were he raps over Gonjasufi's nickels and dimes

i like Gonjasufi cause he puts soul and a hart in his tracks and now jay z talk some more shit about his money and ego on one of my favorite tracks :cry:

wtf is up with this dude and kanye trying to make some cheap succes with my beloved Warp artists

next level my ass, so sad :dry:

i am dissapoint!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I try my best to keep away from Jay Z (i'm pretty successful), Complete fucking horseshit imo. As for that Kanye West geezer...mmmm...I know some of his tracks, not many. He seems like a plonker so I try my best to keep away. Having said that I might listen to this Yeezus, just to see what the fuss is all about.

Mainstream hip-hop seems like something to be avoided at all costs.

Beerwolf over and out :biggrin:

haha kendrick lamar is good mainstream and *blush* A$ap rocky (imo)

yeah check out the new kanye, it's so bad it's kinda good (in a weird way) and at least it has a sense of humour :nacmat:

sorry to hear about that ivan.

haha it's ok! i bet Sufi got a fat cheque, could help him in making some more musics and maybe some people will discover gonjasufi this way :cisfor:

but ffs man, jay-z, haaarghglll !!! :wacko:

Well I'm relieved that the Jay-Z album is receiving far less glowing reviews than Yeezus (I'm not endorsing Yeezus btw) The last thing this year needed was another overrated and overhyped major label release. He's decent, I remember fondly taking his Black Album acapellas and mashing them up with random songs for fun, but I've never really found him that appealing.

Also, Magna Carta Holy Grail (seriously just fucking read that out loud) had an excessively shallow campaign surrounding it. There was this silly exclusive partnership with Samsung for fans to download the album. You know, that's fine and all, it's his business on how he wants to make money, but then he had some half-baked statement about how it was revolutionary because it was challenging what defines "platinum record sales" and would coined the effort "#newrules" on twitter. Absolute bullshit.

Kanye may be just full of it but he doesn't come off as that arrogant or ignorant, just annoying. Kanye never pulled shit like profiting off the Occupy Movement by selling gimmicky t-shirts but then essentially dismissing the movement (and not knowing anything about it's intentions). Jay-Z was a decent rapper but I don't think he's that bright or sincere. He's just another rich asshole living in NYC. Kanye at least has some work ethic and talent beyond rapping.

I looked up at this album, funny how it even has the original chorus in it sung by Sumach besides his own production, though he hasn't been credited as 'feat' unlike Timberlake, Frank Ocean, Beyonce and Rick Ross. Shame he sold the track to these media vampires.

I find it amusing RS hasn't reviewed this yet, whereas they awarded Yeezus a near perfect score as soon as it leaked. Music journalism is tricky, calculated business.

Also, Magna Carta Holy Grail (seriously just fucking read that out loud) had an excessively shallow campaign surrounding it.

i actually prefer to call it "magna carta holy banger"

also, one thing i don't get. why does anyone take these guys seriously when they brag so much? i get rappers need to a have a certain amount of braggadocio and swag, but to the point where i'm buying your album to hear you tell me how rich you are?

can you imagine buying an ipad or iphone only to have the opening screen have narration from the jobs family telling you how rich they are now? that's how i see rappers market themselves since even dre, given the chance, will produce place his stupid headphones into everything he's a part of. you know- just to remind you he got that swag. i just don't get how people see this as being acceptable behavior.

what if christopher nolan was walking on the warner bros sign during the opening credits and breaking it then declaring himself 'filmmaking god' would you guys think that was cool and acceptable?

Jay-Z: A almost 50 year old man that dresses like a 14 year old teenager, and spends all his time bragging how money he got.

Reasonable Doubt is a pretty good album though

Also, Magna Carta Holy Grail (seriously just fucking read that out loud) had an excessively shallow campaign surrounding it.

also, one thing i don't get. why does anyone take these guys seriously when they brag so much? i get rappers need to a have a certain amount of braggadocio and swag, but to the point where i'm buying your album to hear you tell me how rich you are?

can you imagine buying an ipad or iphone only to have the opening screen have narration from the jobs family telling you how rich they are now? that's how i see rappers market themselves since even dre, given the chance, will produce place his stupid headphones into everything he's a part of. you know- just to remind you he got that swag. i just don't get how people see this as being acceptable behavior.

what if christopher nolan was walking on the warner bros sign during the opening credits and breaking it then declaring himself 'filmmaking god' would you guys think that was cool and acceptable?

People will always aspire to become something greater than themselves, that's probably the fuel behind the fire of brag tracks. I actually agree with you tho, i really, really REALLY dislike brag tracks but sometimes i can enjoy them if its a rapper i like and some good production behind it, Example:

I find it amusing RS hasn't reviewed this yet, whereas they awarded Yeezus a near perfect score as soon as it leaked. Music journalism is tricky, calculated business.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0637GjJDvk&feature=player_detailpage

LOL dafuq

Braggadocio is like hip-hop overall itself: there's the good, there's the bad, there's the ugly. From the very start bragging was part of rapping:

Check it out, I'm the c-a-s an the o-v-a

And the rest is f-l-y

Ya see I go by the code of the doctor of the mix

And these reasons I'll tell ya why

Ya see I'm six foot one and I'm tons of fun

And I dress to a T

Ya see I got more clothes than Muhammad Ali and I dress so viciously

I got bodyguards, I got two big cars

That definitely ain't the wack

I got a Lincoln Continental and a Sunroof Cadillac

So after school, I take a dip in the pool,

Which really is on the wall

I got a color tv so I can see

The Knicks play basketball

Hear me talkin bout checkbooks, credit cards

More money, a than a sucker could ever spend

But I wouldn't give a sucker or a bum from the rucker

Not a dime til I made it again

Everybody go

Ya go hotel motel

Whatcha gonna do today (Say what?)

'Cause I'm gon get a fly girl gonna get some spankin

Drive off in a def oj

Braggadocio was at the core aspect of rapping: it's a positive, fanciful way of competition lyrically and and alternative to the harsh reality of most young black males. Now obviously this changed dramatically when rappers became actual millionaires in the 90s and with the emergence of gangsta rap as well, and a lot of this has become a perverted, negative aspect of hip-hop that makes many black you delusional and, perhaps worse, gives critics of hip-hop ammunition. Also, many indie and underground rappers hustle their mixtapes and albums themselves, form collectives and often pay their dues in that form until they get signed. This is the case everywhere beyond LA and NYC. This feeds back into that aspect of rapping. Here's a good example imo, from the late 90s in Houston:

It's not just a hip-hop thing either, a lot of cultures where oppression and struggle are constant manifests activities and traditions that assert self-confidence and pride. In South Africa, during apartheid especially, dressing nicely was a huge aspect of working-class men. For decades villages, townships and migrant worker dorms would have competitions called Swenkas on who the best dressed man was. Likewise they did competitions with singing and music as well.

http://www.vice.com/read/swank-v14n5

Here's another thing: even those who are well-known and successful don't necessarily have millions. I remember seeing a random interview (on NBC Dateline I think) with the terrible but nonetheless popular entertainer Flo Rida and basically he indicates his lifestyle - fancy tour bus, nice hotels, mansion, huge posse, etc. is completely bankrolled by his music label. It's a false wealth. Obviously there are those with money, Jay-Z being the greatest example, but that's all from their business endeavors, not their album sales. So for him to rap about his life now is in itself a conundrum. Far more of his peers are better at now... or they retired or went on to other ventures like acting.

i don't have a problem with braggadocio itself (like with the example you posted) because that is actually humorous. another example is mf doom when he says on the song doomsday when he says "rappers need to fall off just to save me the trouble yo" and that he can turn "H2O to cognac" i see it as being playful and a oneup on any rival and fellow mc's lyrics and style of braggadocio. it's more like a tongue twister if anything else-

but with jay (hova) now comparing his new album to the actual magna carta documents- then talking about how he's now appreciates art and doesn't mind if his daughter sleeps on it- it comes off as he's saying he can live that way because he's now rich. do you guys find that inspiring?

if i said "let's compare bank accounts right now to see who's got more money" with someone that clearly was struggling in their life, would that be because am trying to inspire them or because am arrogant and just like to show off?

you said that braggadocio creates a positive and fanciful competition alternative from their harsh realities. do you know what the number one killer of black males is in america? black males. do you know why? because of jealously.

can you really compare braggadocio such as jay z talking about buying expensive artwork to someone talking about "taking a dip in the pool which is actually on a wall"? i mean- the later seems more fantastically inspired out of someone's "rich imagination while the former seems to be more selectively telling you about their own "rich reality"

here is another example. now, i obviously realize he's doing this out of comedy and doubtful he's even been as much of a loser as he paints himself to be, but he actually makes it sound "baller" how he just rolls with the punches and pridefully acknowledges it. to me, this is more inspiring than showing off entering your jet in slow motion with a bunch of "fly bitches" holding champagne for you and your crew to pop en-route to paris to start a new clothing company. i thought artists were supposed to challenge themselves and their listeners.

Kanye at least has some work ethic and talent beyond rapping.

Kanye is an arrogant, full of shit, talentless piece of garbage. He's so full of himself shit is coming out of his ears. He epitomizes everything that is wrong with mainstream music. The guy acts like he's the second coming of jesus or some shit and really he's just a talentless piece of garbage.

Come on, the guy calls himself a genius on a regular basis. His newest album is called "yeezus"...

He's far more arrogant and prickish than JayZ.

endrant

Archived