IGNORED

Logic Pro X is out now!

kcinsu

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still haven't heard anything back from Apple. I'll call them Monday if I haven't heard anything back by then.

200 dollars right out the window.

I'm surprised you found a way to email them. I posted earlier but I guess you missed it. I bought Logic 9 4 days before X came out and managed to get a "one-time" refund for it in the form of store credit. Contact the Mac App Store support: http://www.apple.com/support/mac/app-store/contact/

Cool, thanks man! I'll try that!

Guest cult fiction

Dug into the revised track view - they took the worst part of logic(dealing with audio on the arrange window) and made it fucking awesome.

Remember Flex Time and how it was mostly useless because the interface blew? Now you can tag up your transients in the 'File' view, and then switch to the track view and:

* Drag the transients around

* Click a play button on the region itself to set it looping

* Hear flex stretch the audio with the mode you chose in real time

* Switch to scissors, cut it up into regions along the transients

* Drag the regions around

All with an awesome, accurate editor. I feel like I could actually cut up a breakbeat without losing my mind in Logic finally.

Now if they would only make it so that converting a region to a new audio file didn't ask you for a name, and Logic would be a pretty decent audio editor.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Wall Bird

Excellent upgrade for an excellent program. Go for it.

I remember when Logic 7 was at least $500. Since then, every iteration of Logic has become less expensive than the last, leaving us at the current price of (holy shit) $200. That's incredible. Don't hesitate. It's an amazing deal. I'm gonna upgrade as soon as I'm done mixing this record.

• 3 years later...

Even though the performance and resource usage (or lack thereof) here seems best in class I'm still hesitant to make the jump to Logic. While everything I've seen so far looks fantastic there are a couple things that are throwing up some red flags for me, like the Garageband Apple preset loops thing and the cheesy as fuck "drummer" tracks. Are there any users that can explain how its workflow benefits them? I haven't really seen anyone making IDM on it. Is it feasible or is it just not geared toward experimental electronic music?

Even though the performance and resource usage (or lack thereof) here seems best in class I'm still hesitant to make the jump to Logic. While everything I've seen so far looks fantastic there are a couple things that are throwing up some red flags for me, like the Garageband Apple preset loops thing and the cheesy as fuck "drummer" tracks. Are there any users that can explain how its workflow benefits them? I haven't really seen anyone making IDM on it. Is it feasible or is it just not geared toward experimental electronic music?

I have Logic, though I can't say I use it very often unless I need side chaining (Renoise doesn't have side chaining) or I want to make use of some of its plugins, which are pretty good. That said, there's no reason it isn't feasible to make IDM or anything. It has a complete midi editor. What more do you really need beyond that?

I don't like the workflow at all though, which is probably why I don't use it a lot. I don't understand the shortcut system at all. It feels like I'm trying to figure out Emacs or some shit. I prefer Reason & Studio One's style of midi editing - numerical or qwerty keys to select the tool you need and draw, easy peasy. I think Cubase might be similar to that, as well? I should probably look into that, but the bastards didn't have a demo available the last time I checked. Logic's UI feels a bit sluggish, especially when moving around windows and it used to crash on me quite a lot when I pressed the wrong shortcut. Resource usage didn't seem that great to me, either. Diva seems to choke a lot faster than in Renoise or Reaper, but I might have the block size set differently, so take that with a big grain of salt. There's no VST support. You're forced to use AU version of plugins, which is fine until you want to use, for example, Phoscyon (303 Emulator) to sequence another plugin. AU can't do that, as far as I know, but maybe that's just specific to that plugin?

The real problem is that they don't have a demo available. You pay just to find out if you actually like using the damn thing.

So you're still on Logic 9 or are you planning on making the jump to Logic from another DAW?

Frankly speaking, a DAW is like a religion. The one you use is the right one until you find something that else then that becomes your new religion which you'll defend to death.

I only made the jump to Logic X because I had to. Before that I was a Logic 9 guy because I that's where I felt at home. But as soon as I got my hands on Logic X and changed their new moronic shortcuts into the old Logic 9 shortcuts I felt right at home. Actually, I've never looked back since I started using Logic X - and I was a Logic 5 - 9 user for 12 years before switching.

You're right about the Garagebandification they had going to begin with but you can disable that altogether. When you install it it'll ask if you're a n00b? Hit no and tell it to show you all the "professionnal" settings.

I haven't really seen anyone making IDM on it. Is it feasible or is it just not geared toward experimental electronic music?

I made these in Logic:

Logic is really fucking good, but I've also been using it since around 2002.

As noted, whatever you're used to is grand.  All I know is that if I can imagine it, I can do it with Logic.

From a workflow perspective, Reaper is quite similar (and "free", also with VST support).

i use logic, it's awesome. don't like the autodrummer? don't use it... the sample libraries and presets are all actually really good but again if you don't like the sound of them, don't use them...easy to import your own innit.

Guest Chesney

I use Logic (9). I have no reason to upgrade as I don't use any of it.

I use it purely to track audio and arrange. I use the dynamics and sometimes the reverb (space designer) for ease when something is already recorded or if I want something specific i'll fire it back out to hardware again.

I barely touch anything else as I prefer to do the majority of making the music outside of the DAW but it does exactly what I want it to so have no reason to change to anything else (never tried anything else either).

I would say that I have never been fully convinced of it's overall sound. It sounds grey and flat, almost exactly like apple visually. That may be in my head because of the way it looks. Every so often i'll get jealous of how somebody else gets their overall sound and usually it's Reason that is used. I don't know what it is but it sounds sort of grittier and earthy. If I had to compare the sound of those two DAWS to cheap synths, i'd say Logic was a Waldorf Blofeld and Reason was the microkorg (weird analogy sorry).

Also, the synths in Logic are fine if you want them, sculpture is crazy and can be fun but I have never really used it for anything.

The guitar amp side of it is garbage, sounds awful and not sure how much better Logic X would be. The only good you may get from any of that is with whacking anything but guitar through it. Pedalboard can be good for that I guess.

Hold on, why am I going on about Logic 9?

Anyway, Logic is fine, it's pretty traditional which is how I like to work.

Plaid use Logic too, I think you can tell by their overall sound on past few albums.

^ just dont ask sean what's wrong about this picture

haha funnily enough that's how I re-found the picture!

:biggrin:  :beer:

I use Logic (9). I have no reason to upgrade as I don't use any of it.

I use it purely to track audio and arrange. I use the dynamics and sometimes the reverb (space designer) for ease when something is already recorded or if I want something specific i'll fire it back out to hardware again.

I barely touch anything else as I prefer to do the majority of making the music outside of the DAW but it does exactly what I want it to so have no reason to change to anything else (never tried anything else either).

I would say that I have never been fully convinced of it's overall sound. It sounds grey and flat, almost exactly like apple visually. That may be in my head because of the way it looks. Every so often i'll get jealous of how somebody else gets their overall sound and usually it's Reason that is used. I don't know what it is but it sounds sort of grittier and earthy. If I had to compare the sound of those two DAWS to cheap synths, i'd say Logic was a Waldorf Blofeld and Reason was the microkorg (weird analogy sorry).

Also, the synths in Logic are fine if you want them, sculpture is crazy and can be fun but I have never really used it for anything.

The guitar amp side of it is garbage, sounds awful and not sure how much better Logic X would be. The only good you may get from any of that is with whacking anything but guitar through it. Pedalboard can be good for that I guess.

Hold on, why am I going on about Logic 9?

Anyway, Logic is fine, it's pretty traditional which is how I like to work.

Plaid use Logic too, I think you can tell by their overall sound on past few albums.

Speaking of summing-- for whatever programming magic reason, Reaper's summing sounds A LOT like hardware.  Very very raw.  Perhaps Logic's summing (I also use 9) is too perfect, which maybe can make it sound flat if not used properly (the best sound from Logic comes from keeping all levels quite low, fooor whatever reason, even though you'd think there is no ceiling- still makes a difference at the end).

Guest Chesney

Agree that why I send it all out to a mixer for final mix and then it's coloured enough to have as little of the logic sheen on the final product.

Archived