IGNORED

Moving to UK

zlemflolia

depends what your like. if you are like me, you would find london extremely expensive and its atmosphere depressing. liverpool is shit. i like glasgow, its music scene is as tightly nit and full of excellent music as seems humanely possible, and you can find rent for 150 quid a month in the right bits, without going off the (single) subway line. cant speak for anywhere else in england, although id pick between bristol, leeds, and manchester, they are all pretty fun places with engaging music scenes. newcastle is meant to be excellent for getting drunk and getting your hole.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How hard is it to move to the UK from the US and find work (specifically in the middle eastern area of England)

Will have a bachelors in computer science when the time comes as well as a reasonable amount of work experience by then hopefully

Is it impossible?

I have a friend from Stratford-upon-Avon who did the complete opposite. He's been living in the U.S. for over 10 years doing IT work in Austin.

I was born at RAF Lakenheath (don't recall it) but subsequently lived there again as a teenager from 1999-2001. Norwich and Cambridge were decent sized towns and both about an hour away. I liked East Anglia a lot, there's definitely a different pace of life out in the more rural villages but people were nice. I came across anti-Americanism sometimes but I was a zitty punk military brat and let's be honest, there's bound to be resentment from some local people when you live on a base occupied by foreigners operating military jets and stock-housing nuclear weapons for NATO.

Are you pretty set on the UK? or do you want to simply work overseas? I have a friend who just got back from teaching in Korea and travelling much of Asia for months, and he and his partner are set on working somewhere in SE Asia soon. They said the living is affordable and plenty of job opportunities. He had a bit of IT experience and she was a college student who worked at a local organic grocer, nothing crazy in terms of their resumes.

i dont really think you need to worry about anti-americanism. i mean, everyone thinks americans are fat idiots, but only when not actually hanging about with an american who isnt a fat idiot, and its more like a friendly disdain. i mean you can pretty much go anywhere and the people from that place will think people from the next town are fat idiots, just because its fun to take the piss out of people.

Guest cult fiction

newcastle is meant to be excellent for getting drunk and getting your hole.

Tyres, kerbs, and "getting your hole" - clearly this is not a place for an American!

newcastle is meant to be excellent for getting drunk and getting your hole.

Tyres, kerbs, and "getting your hole" - clearly this is not a place for an American!

It's a great place to be a student, not sure I'd recommend it for real life though. Depends on how high your hole standards are, I suppose.

All this "city or nothing" talk is kind of amusing, considering I know someone who lives in Stoke-on-Trent who can't imagine why anyone would choose to live somewhere as busy as London. :) It's up to each individual to work out if they'd rather live in a hectic urban environment or a more laid back country one, or somewhere in between, and I'm sure all countries offer the full spectrum of options.

I can certainly relate to this. I moved out of the city and to the country nearly three weeks ago, whilst still working in the city. The extended distance costs more in fuel, but my overall stress has been reduced considerably.

So overall, if one works in the city and lives in the country, it's not a bad way to go.

Yeah. I'm lucky in that my partner and I both telecommute, so we're about to move to Stoke-on-Trent where it's a bit more laid back and the land's cheaper. Should be good! Weekends in the Peak District and Wales, yay!

i live in a tree. i think i just saw a bug, but i cant be sure. i plan to crawl toward ground level, ...........security agents blocking every entrance, and if you want to proceed any given way, you have to show a passport. its getting bad...dont go into the computer if you plan on going back, but if you plan on going forward, god speed, and for god speed, stay away from the grasshopper people. good luck soldier! i believe in you!

Jody, i think we need to change the name of your debut album from Jody Dark: What's Behind Darkness to Jody Dark: What's behind that Matsui 14'' TV playing an episode of Russell Howard's Good News

Guest Pennywise

Brighton is pretty lively. I live in Brighton and I like it. There's never really a day where I think, 'I hate living here'. I just really like having the sea there. If I lived in a big inland city, I'd get fed up with being surrounded by buildings all the time. London feels like a big maze at times.

As some have already mentioned - East Anglia can be a pleasant place to live. Lots of really lush rural areas/villages. Quite a flat area of land so not many scenic hills like some parts of the Midlands would have but still has amazing wooded areas (Rendlesham Forest and Thetford Forest towards the upper part of East Anglia). Not too expensive to live and only just an hour away by train from the capital. I think it is always good to live close enough to London so that when you want to make your way over there, you're not enduring a lengthy/tiresome journey every time you want to visit. Keep a relatively small distance away from London so you don't miss out on what it has to offer as far as art/events/music etc.

Thank you Bread that's some excellent info

I'm not really the night life type so this city-or-nothing mentality that's been mentioned by others isn't relevant to me. Though definitely relevant to most people I'd say

I want to live in a rural area within travel distance of a more metro center for work and such

Guest Pennywise

England is so small though. You can travel anywhere in like a couple hours.

Why is that problem? I don't get it.

I'd probably choose Bristol, went to university there and it's great. For some reason I have now chosen a job that ties me to London and the place slowly strangles everyone.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

England is so small though. You can travel anywhere in like a couple hours.

Why is that problem? I don't get it.

I don't think it's a problem. If you're in the middle you can get pretty much anywhere in a few hours. Zeffolia should go to the middle

• 3 weeks later...
Guest trananhhung

Ok, people. I just moved to London. Now tell me where can I listen and dance to the music we all love. I need clubs/bars names right now!

Archived