IGNORED

Osla for n

zlemflolia

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a 64 kbps MP3 jazz drummer on a gyrating platform with a construction worker aggressively stacking roof tiles left and right, occasionally dropping and breaking a tile. When the UFO lands the construction worker half forgets what he's doing and just starts stacking the roof tiles in time with the drummer. Also roof n.

Yeah I just got the EP today but this is the most engaging track so far. Reminds me a bit of the crashing tiles in Prince Of Persia.

Guest hecanjog

Not knocking the rest of L-event, but I found this one the most rhythmically interesting of the four. The whole EP is in 4/4 (which is rad!) but this one doesn't resolve to 4/4 until the halfway point & I think works really well especially in the context of the EP.

It's the beginning of the second act, right? Our heroes are becoming mired in a troubling situation until - ah 4 again!

Guest cult fiction

Sounds like a 64 kbps MP3 jazz drummer on a gyrating platform with a construction worker aggressively stacking roof tiles left and right, occasionally dropping and breaking a tile. When the UFO lands the construction worker half forgets what he's doing and just starts stacking the roof tiles in time with the drummer. Also roof n.

Yeah I just got the EP today but this is the most engaging track so far. Reminds me a bit of the crashing tiles in Prince Of Persia.

Actually sounds more like a pair of hoarse dogs coughing into each other's faces

Guest hecanjog

I've listened to this EP so many times, but now that I've made some kind of statement on an internet forum, I just went back to 3&4 and wow - all kinds of more intricate rhythm happening in 4 than I remember counting. It always sorta teases 4, but there are sections where it sounds like a bar of 5, then 2 bars of 4, repeat for a while. Didn't catch that. Cryptodance.

Actually sounds more like a pair of hoarse dogs coughing into each other's faces

Hey... No need to embellish. It sounds like a couple of cancerous dogs shitting in each others food bowls and the dogs are so cancerous they can't find other food so they eat each others shit from the bowls.

This is hands down the most ridiculous and terrible track out of AE's archive. It's absolutely hilarious that so many people are trying to make something from nothing. This track was a JOKE.

-50000 / 10

It's the best track on the ep and I get excited when it comes on, I can't think of anything clever to say about it 'cos I don't know tech stuff, but I love the atmosphere, the slow build up, the chords. the noises, especially the note/noise at roughly the 2 minute mark, I'm always waiting for that bit.

I don't like this thing where people invent weird reasons why people must like something that they don't, I don't like track 3 that much, it sounds pretty strange to me, but I don't think people who like it are stroking their neckbeards and thinking they're abstract art connosieurs, I just think they like it and I don't(yet).

track 2 rather, m39 diffain

You don't have to try, you are a dick alright.

:cisfor::biggrin:

1) No I am not

2) Jump off a bridge, I'm sure there are many close to where you live. Hopefully there is deep water underneath it! :happy: (note please that this is my incredibly harsh sense of humor and I'm not being serious. Look at my fucking avatar. lol)

3) Yes, I was being hypercritical. But I honestly think this song is complete trash compared to the rest of their catalogue. Don't try and win me over with some sort of analysis on why this track is gold. 8+ minutes of someone scraping the ice off their car windows is not saleable, never mind categorizable as AAA electronic music.

It really seems to serve as a counterpoint to their more dense tracks. It's almost like that track exists as a palette cleanser of sorts.

Then again, I'm no authority on their music. That's just my take on it.

I'm very happy for all of you that enjoy this track so much.

cheers

I like it more every listen, it does have some nice subtle modulations/variations in texture (and no that's not wishful thinking, listen to it intently).

That said, I can also see where StephenG is coming from, it did seem like a bit of a pisstake to me at first.

Right now the only thing that really bugs me on the ep is the intro to newbound. Newbound is great by the end, but the bombastic start bugs me.

Guest bitroast

I like it more every listen, it does have some nice subtle modulations/variations in texture (and no that's not wishful thinking, listen to it intently).

Yeah. Y7 is king in that regard:)

the textures in this song are what makes it listenable, I tried to ask them how they did it in the chat but they remained pretty oblique. I keep hearing these modulations on newer AE stuff that sound almost like the audio equivalent of a fractal. Hear me out: what about instead of using traditional LFO controllers they do this type of sound with some kind of Shepard tone/endless barber pole tone controller, so that the control/modulation sounds 'endless' and not like an up and down type of modulation. They did admit to using this technique on earlier songs, but wouldn't comment on the new stuff.

how it would work is basically a much lower frequency/sub-audible version of the same thing as an audible shepard tone, the same way a shepard tone works which is usually at minimum a 4 x sine wave stack creating the effect.
A decent indie plugin guy named Oli Larkin did a series of plugins called 'endless' based off this principle, i think he has a phasor, flanger and a few others .Also Anarchy FX had an endless pitch shifter as well.

your breakdown of Fold4 gives some clues that they've used a similar technique before but applied to different things.

yes it would have to be, and there would have to be a similar crossfading apparatus a shepard-tone had to fade between each 'stage' of the effect, so there would have to be 4 different phasers all slightly offset from each-other but in sync just like there would have to be at least 4 oscillators to do a single shepard tone effect.

but the thing with autechre (big surprise) is they aren't doing it in a straight forward manner, the frequency of the shepard tone array itself is being modulated in all different funny ways, the speed jumpts to really fast an then slows down again sort of synced to the beat

Archived