IGNORED

RIP Akifumi Nakajima aka AUBE

awepittance

I found the news posted on facebook about his passing:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=598353570231008

993477_598353570231008_784644927_n.jpg

Very sad news today learning that Akifumi Nakajima (AUBE) has passed away. Officially he passed away on Sept 25 due to pneumothorax. He was a very special and kind person and someone who I very much respected and admired. He was one of my earliest contacts in the early 90s and helped me tremendously. Here is a photo I took of him at a beautiful garden in Kyoto. Please play AUBE music in memory of him.

daniel menche wrote that right?

yeah. It's interesting how little of the big 'noise friendly' publications seem to give a shit. I guess they only care about Merzbow, when Aube was probably the most prolific Japanese noise musician besides merzbow.

very saddened, as he was probably one of my biggest inspirations musically. Someone in the ambient thread recently said they had very little 90s ambient and I immediately thought of how much Aube shaped my perception of ambient music, and was one of the only artist who fused noise and ambient together so naturally. Him and MSBR seemed to die way too young.

Bought Le Syndrome Aquatique immediately when I first heard it.

best album packaging of all time, did you track down a copy of the original pressing off Manifold? I have mine somewhere, have no idea what happened to it. I have a stack of his old G.R.O.S.S. cassettes too, 'Feed the fishes' in particular was pretty awesome, water sounds looping through massive sheets of distortion. He didn't do much actual noise with the water sounds, most of that later stuff was pretty straight ambient/rumbles.

You heard Metal De Metal or Starred Gleam? His most famous albums were Cardiac Strain and Wired Trap but I never fell in love with those. Off the top of my head probably Aqua Syndrome, Feed the Fishes and Starred Gleam were my favorites. I feel like i'm definitely forgetting some. I remember people in the noise scene thought his album where he tore up a bible was offensive, which is weird considering how much obscene imagery and violent/rape type shit noise artists back then used to use purely for aesthetics.

also check out Sian http://www.discogs.com/Sian-Synapse-Atmos/release/600021

it's a synth based ambient project he did, extremely minimalist but also really awesome and ahead of a lot of the other ambient minimalist composers who got popular in the late 90s

Bought Le Syndrome Aquatique immediately when I first heard it.

best album packaging of all time, did you track down a copy of the original pressing off Manifold? I have mine somewhere, have no idea what happened to it. I have a stack of his old G.R.O.S.S. cassettes too, 'Feed the fishes' in particular was pretty awesome, water sounds looping through massive sheets of distortion. He didn't do much actual noise with the water sounds, most of that later stuff was pretty straight ambient/rumbles.

You heard Metal De Metal or Starred Gleam? His most famous albums were Cardiac Strain and Wired Trap but I never fell in love with those. Off the top of my head probably Aqua Syndrome, Feed the Fishes and Starred Gleam were my favorites. I feel like i'm definitely forgetting some. I remember people in the noise scene thought his album where he tore up a bible was offensive, which is weird considering how much obscene imagery and violent/rape type shit noise artists back then used to use purely for aesthetics.

also check out Sian http://www.discogs.com/Sian-Synapse-Atmos/release/600021

it's a synth based ambient project he did, extremely minimalist but also really awesome and ahead of a lot of the other ambient minimalist composers who got popular in the late 90s

No, I don't have the infamous waterbag package. I have the version I discogslinked. Cool that you have a bunch of those tapes. Which ones you got? They're hard to find, even online. Pretty interested to hear them. And as Daniel Menche said on facebook:

"I hope folks will upload his music on Youtube or something to at least keep his music alive for the future."

Don't let the guy down.

But I'm mostly interested to listen to the tapes compilation: http://www.discogs.com/Aube-Tapes-1992-1997/master/49154

Because cd rip vs tape rip and stuff

Stared Gleam is OK I guess, but Metal Du Metal is pretty great. An album that also stuck with me was 108.

I'm not familiar with Wired Trap, but I do like Cardiac Strain tho. Another more noise oriented release I like is Duplex-Sphere

Wait, so the noise community felt offended by the act of him ripping papers out of a bible? Or was it more about the album itself? It's an interesting album, but maybe not his best work.

Will check out Sian.

id be happy to rip the tapes I have to put online, I have a few that aren't for sale on discogs anywhere. IF anyone is interested in helping me with this effort let me know. Ill get in touch with Daniel to see how many he has. Sad i missed out on that CDR collection.

id be happy to rip the tapes I have to put online, I have a few that aren't for sale on discogs anywhere. IF anyone is interested in helping me with this effort let me know. Ill get in touch with Daniel to see how many he has. Sad i missed out on that CDR collection.

Thanks, that's cool. It's pretty frustrating, but I did stumble on that entire CDR tape collection on soulseek, but I haven't managed to get my hands on a single track, and the guy who put it up doesn't seem to be getting online again. Maybe he banned me or something, not sure. But I haven't searched beyond soulseek to be honest.

I was also saddened to read about his death but I cannot count myself as a true lover of his work. I just got the recommendation months ago from a friend who really adored him, but wasn't able to track down something yet from his discography to dive in.

But I know that he had a great impact on the noise scene and he is wellknown in that circles. He also had some very fruitful collaborations.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived