IGNORED

After gay marriage, where do I sign for poligamy?

Allize

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Insanity is right:

http://www.b4uact.org/

Learn about "minor-attracted persons." It's not a disorder, it's an orientation!

A group dedicated to helping minor attracted people is somehow a problem? You should get out of small town Texas and away from those rednecks. Educate yourself a little bit instead of being in an echo chamber of ideological paranoia. This site is literally dedicated to making sure that minor attracted folks get proper psychological help...

"small town texas"

I live in San Antonio (1.3 million people). There was actually a city ordinance passed which makes it illegal to speak publicly against homosexuality. So yeah, tons of rednecks here.

You obviously didn't really look at that site. They are advocating the removal of pedophilia from the DSM. Here are abstracts from a conference they had in Baltimore.

http://www.b4uact.org/science/symp/2011/speaker/abstracts.pdf

Go the the last one by Jacob Breslow.

One of the major changes attempts to establish a clear distinction between pedophilia as a non-diagnosable

ascertainment, and pedophilic disorder as a diagnosable, distressing and non-normative disorder that requires

psychiatric intervention. Allowing for a form of non-diagnosable minor attraction is exciting, as it potentially creates

a sexual or political identity by which activists, scholars and clinicians can begin to better understand Minor

Attracted Persons. This understanding may displace the stigma, fear and abjection that is naturalized as being

attached to Minor Attracted Persons and may alter the terms by which non-normative sexualities are known.

Furthermore, this paper argues that this distinction is potentially another step towards the complete re-thinking of

paraphilias within the DSM – a step that follows historically and theoretically from the removal of homosexuality.

Apparently he got much more graphic during his talk, saying children's sexual consent is not necessary.

"small town texas"

I live in San Antonio (1.3 million people). There was actually a city ordinance passed which makes it illegal to speak publicly against homosexuality. So yeah, tons of rednecks here.

You obviously didn't really look at that site. They are advocating the removal of pedophilia from the DSM. Here are abstracts from a conference they had in Baltimore.

http://www.b4uact.org/science/symp/2011/speaker/abstracts.pdf

Go the the last one by Jacob Breslow.

One of the major changes attempts to establish a clear distinction between pedophilia as a non-diagnosable

ascertainment, and pedophilic disorder as a diagnosable, distressing and non-normative disorder that requires

psychiatric intervention. Allowing for a form of non-diagnosable minor attraction is exciting, as it potentially creates

a sexual or political identity by which activists, scholars and clinicians can begin to better understand Minor

Attracted Persons. This understanding may displace the stigma, fear and abjection that is naturalized as being

attached to Minor Attracted Persons and may alter the terms by which non-normative sexualities are known.

Furthermore, this paper argues that this distinction is potentially another step towards the complete re-thinking of

paraphilias within the DSM – a step that follows historically and theoretically from the removal of homosexuality.

Apparently he got much more graphic during his talk, saying children's sexual consent is not necessary.

Yeah, I realize San Antonio is a larger city. But you think and talk like you come from Pecos.

You brought this up in way that implies you believe it has a relationship to polygamy. It doesn't. You're paranoid.

I imagine legally, polygamous marriage is a whole lot more difficult than gay marriage.

Not as difficult to have kids.

Also, about the OP, I have no problem with polygamy. They aren't hurting me, although if it became popular it would deeply denude the availability of the lovely ladies. Then again, maybe they'd all want to be my wife, :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: and we could make it legal.

• 7 months later...

what's wrong with polygamy if everyone in the relationship is down for it??

Nothing!

The only reason it's illegal is because it complicates taxation.

Well... that's a major reason anyway.

Uh, the super seriously intricately complicated tax system is worried about possible increased complication? I highly doubt that is the main reason, and I suspect it has more to do with religious ideologies being forced upon the masses via the threat of force by the state.

huh, i didn't think of that, but it makes perfect sense. thanks stephen!

Nothing!

Uh, the super seriously intricately complicated tax system is worried about possible increased complication? I highly doubt that is the main reason, and I suspect it has more to do with religious ideologies being forced upon the masses via the threat of force by the state.

idk, the government takes their taxes seriously.

i wonder if people are more or less opposed to polygamy than gay marriage?

Nothing!

I've increased the size of the important part there for you.

Also, google. I've taken a few taxation courses during my degree that go quite in depth regarding marriage, dividing assets etc.

Also, you're right that religious ideologies are a big reason.

Edit: how do you tax a polygamous family, especially in big compounds that have large income (churches lol, see Warren Jeffs, 100 million USD net worth?)...? Who is considered a dependent? What is considered a tax writeoff when you have to buy a home/homes for dependents?

hm, I'm with sheathman on most of his posts, actually, apart from the latter ones where he brings up the strange scare tactic of legalizing pedophilia.

I think it's been shown in several studies that stable two-parent households lead to psychologically healthier offspring. Makes intuitive sense, too. This data is mostly brought up when the subject of divorce comes up, not polygamy. I was a child of divorce which theoretically left me with 4 loving parents, I can't claim that I was unloved by any of them. And yet, shuttling back and forth between households, having to deal with different rules and expectations, wondering why my parents split and later learning it was because my dad cheated repeatedly, etc, not only put a certain amount of strain on me as a child, it made me quite leery and skeptical regarding the whole idea of commitment and love. It's always tricky to say whether I would have been more well-adjusted in a two parent house where my parents disliked each other, rather than in a divorce scenario, but...perhaps. I do think a loving monogamous relationship is something to be aspired to, as the best form for producing healthy kids.

I also think sheathman's point regarding most polygamy being polygyny and therefore inherently sexist is being conveniently sidestepped, as is his reply to bringing up the "muslim world", and the fact that polygamy and genital mutilation somewhat overlap. Anyone who says this is "correlation only" has his head in the sand. From wiki: "The only form in which polygamy is legally recognised in countries which do so, is for a man to take multiple wives (polygyny)."

But then I guess the proponent's reply would be "no, I'm a new-age polygamist, actually I'm a polyamorist but I can imagine one day getting married with my two girlfriends and one boyfriend". I gather that's called group marriage, not polygamy. Wiki has a good article on group marriage, it's most common in the realm of science fiction, heh. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_marriage. I would say the idea of swinging and wife-swapping is probably more "normal" psychologically speaking (always a dangerous claim) than the notion that you could somehow create an equal-minded, stable, *married* polygamous arrangement.

I think it's usually the young who believe in the notion of polyamory, before it inevitably collapses. Speaking of youth, I think the best path in life is to get out all your fucking in your youth. Fuck everything that moves, guys and gals, whatever. Burn the ghost of random sexual encounters out of your neural circuitry. Fuck until you're bored of fucking, and then fuck a little more just as a "fuck you" to the universe. Because I'm willing to bet at some point you will tire of it. And once that's done, you may find (as I did) the idea of marriage much more appealing.

Humans are, indeed, designed to procreate (although we are not obliged to). And, unfortunately, I think it's true that those who don't have kids will never quite understand how much it changes and matures you. Yes it's a huge hassle sometimes but I do think (from my vantage point of only being 1.5 years into parenting) that it is a remarkable experience. Not that you can't have a fulfilling life otherwise, but certainly a young horny twenty-something dissing the importance of monogamy in parenting is like a blind man trying to offer a useful critique of Monet's water lilies.

first i'm too late on this thread to catch up every comments here,

i'm going to react on first post and title ! (also some that jumped to my face)

WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK ?!!!!

how do you even compare those things, it's like saying, "love has no barrier, so let legalize zoophilia"

polygamy isn't something you're born with and make you suffer your whole life until you have the chance or not to meet people that will make accept who you are and start to love yourself a bit, it's not something like that,

polygamy is luxury and pleasure or it's a real choice of life, questionable or not, to me it's weird, but i don't care what people do of their lives if they don't hurt anyone.

this is pure homophobia to make this kind of comparison,

why on earth do you even think gay marriage will change anything of your lives ? it wont affect anything for you, your family, your job, the only reason you are uncomfortable with this is because you are not gayfriendly (using a gentle word voluntary) and since our society has moved on and this is a common subject you force yourself to not being too negative and convince yourself you're not homophobic

this thread and some post here are outrageous !

For some reason I'm reading this thread in the voice of Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Make all of your inner monologues this way and you'll always be happy.

Archived