IGNORED

After gay marriage, where do I sign for poligamy?

Allize

I mean, there's no difference now. No barriers, the same logic applies: you can't control or dictate the love someone has for another. Everyone should be entitled to love whoever they want, so why be restrict the amount of people you can love?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My view has been that polygamy is more like an exclusive dating group than actual marriage. Small selection, but with more options than traditional marriage has to offer. Why not just stick to dating?

But don't you feel it should be legal and accepted by society?

As long as everyone involved is ok with it, I don't think it's illegal to date several women or men at once. Marriage however is another thing.

I've heard that even in harems, women developed high jealousy towards each other. And that's because eventually the owner of the harem preferred only one of the girls above others.

My view has been that polygamy is more like an exclusive dating group than actual marriage. Small selection, but with more options than traditional marriage has to offer. Why not just stick to dating?

But don't you feel it should be legal and accepted by society?

I don't think it NEEDS to be illegal, relationships aren't something that should be dictated by legislature anyway.

As for social acceptance, that's something beyond the control of legislature, some people will always consider polygamists to be small-scale sluts.

You can't stop people from lovin' but besides commitment, marriage is all about property rights and things of that nature. There are so many legal ramifications of getting hitched. Imagine how complicated it would be for a threesome, foursome. Then there would be limits on how many would be allowed and you could imagine people using the new laws to get away with some shit. Immigration would be insane. You'd have random people getting married to take advantage of the rights much more than you do now.

You can't stop people from lovin' but besides commitment, marriage is all about property rights and things of that nature. There are so many legal ramifications of getting hitched. Imagine how complicated it would be for a threesome, foursome. Then there would be limits on how many would be allowed and you could imagine people using the new laws to get away with some shit. Immigration would be insane. You'd have random people getting married to take advantage of the rights much more than you do now.

That's a point I hadn't considered. Marry a bunch of immigrants and get them to work for you for cheap. When you die, don't write a will and let them fight over your shit.

Okay, so polygamy being illegal seems to have some merit when dealing with those aspects, and I can't imagine the Feds wanting to sift through eight wives and four husbands or whatever to figure out who gets what and who belongs in the country...

Let's just do away with marriage .....how about that.

It's a lovely gesture in a ceremonious sense when people get married IMO, it shows a bond they wish to have with that person. I think it's touching. Yes I cry at weddings, fuck you. :cry:

But the legal/contractual thing the USA has turned marriage into is sickening and in a culture that promotes people as possessions when it comes to intimacy and monogamy, its no bueno and most end in divorce- marriage is well fucked from the beginning with that mindset anyways.

My parents were freaky swinging hippies. They stopped around the time I was 8, mostly because I assume their sex drive went down.... It was a weird experience and thought as a child and young adult seeing your parents who love each other and raise you all the while slowly piecing together the weird parts of the past then knowing that they used to bone their friends spouses and stuff all the time. They view sex as sex and love as something different, not saying sex cant have love behind it, but that they are not the same and one doesn't lead to the other.

And I wonder why I have problems with monogamy...

Maritial Polygamy is for Mormons, just be freaky swingers. :w00t:

It's a lovely gesture in a ceremonious sense when people get married IMO, it shows a bond they wish to have with that person. I think it's touching. Yes I cry at weddings, fuck you. :cry:

But the legal/contractual thing the USA has turned marriage into is sickening and in a culture that promotes people as possessions when it comes to intimacy and monogamy, its no bueno and most end in divorce- marriage is well fucked from the beginning with that mindset anyways.

You forgot tax deductions.

This is why housewives suck. Half of your property investment goes down the drain if divorce happens. Everyone gets brainwashed to marry and have children because their fucking parents did it. Parenting is like cloning. You teach your kids all the shit you know and nothing else.

This is why housewives suck. Half of your property investment goes down the drain if divorce happens. Everyone gets brainwashed to marry and have children because their fucking parents did it. Parenting is like cloning. You teach your kids all the shit you know and nothing else.

Prenup.

I have one with my gf and we aren't even married.

Prenup.

I have one with my gf and we aren't even married.

Kids force parents to stay together. Divorce is even more fucked if you have children. But of course, everyone lives happily ever after with new partner, and divorce is always just the other party's fault.

Because no one has ever lived in the past, and no one will ever live in the future. So just live in the moment and make babies if you feel like it.

One more reason i'm against gay marriage is that now my lover can insist from me to left my wife and marry him! fakshit!

Regarding polygamy, im trying to imagine mixed marriage with two of my lovers (one of them is bisexual btw), five mistresses (two of them are bisexual) and me ...hmmm AND kids! my god!

''xox, are you my dad or is it Anna?''

''I'd say it me Tim, but i'm not sure if this statement is legal or not. Wait for 20 yrs and ask me again.''

You forgot tax deductions.

Tax standards and rules in America suck. All investment and no gain, huge inequalies. For example, the NFL is legally a "non-profit" organization. They actually get tax subsidies. They still net millions because of licensing game broadcasts, merchandise, etc.

I mean, there's no difference now. No barriers, the same logic applies: you can't control or dictate the love someone has for another. Everyone should be entitled to love whoever they want, so why be restrict the amount of people you can love?

You can still be pro-gay marriage and pro-monogamy. The only difference is a gender restriction to male and female couples, as argued by for those who support "traditional" marriage. A lot of socially liberal Christians argue this point. There are many gay couples who have open relationships and there are many straight couples who have open relationships. Only the latter get far more legal and social leeway by default. The same conservative anti-gay types rarely have the same furor on the usually more tremendous and egregious sins of adultery, spousal abuse, weak/forced relationships, parental neglect, bad parenting etc.

Stable, 2 parent families are great, work for most people and is a good benchmark, but historically it's a very idealized and recent concept. For one, most families lived in extended households, expected high loss of children, married out of financial and social security and not love, and for most societies land and money transfer was the sole catalyst, especially among the rich and privileged. Pragmatically it's hardly been a real-life option until recently. (I say this as a happily married man btw - also while we'd never divorce we're too meager financially to worry about such a dispute anyway :emotawesomepm9: ).

One of the better Penn & Teller episodes does a good rundown:

http://youtu.be/npB4XfBTICA

Archived