IGNORED

afx live GEAR ?

YEK

just wondering, any era....

more like early 90's before laptops and when he was hiding on stage and such. he did say in interviews that it was hard to play live and make the tracks sound like the released versions... is that even true?

fannnnn bOII!

Of course live is harder. You either make the tracks, or just partially, before hand, which isn't much different from just making releases. Then you do twiddle some knobs in real time. It's not like real instrument performance, which involves either improv (most improv I've found lack variety) or follow a written score, or somewhere in the middle.

To me, I feel like if you are going to play live, at least do something different with the tracks so it's not like the audience can just go home and listen to the same music on the computer, instead of paying for the ticket price. I feel like I would get the most out of my ticket prices if 1. it's an artist I like 2. He plays a different variation of previous releases, or completely new tracks.

In live performance, the visual and lighting are also very relevant in adding to the whole experience. Plus, you are also paying the ticket price for the opportunity to get laid after dance floor jigs, and the access to various drugs.

isn't there some footage of him doing an old school autechre style performance with some fx boxes and a couple of roland drum machines? Most other times i've seen him playing it looks like he's doing a laptop set, especially in the late 90s and more recently he's doing a laptop running traktor(?)

Late 90s live AFX gear: DAT player and/or PC with CRT monitor.

plus maybe a couple of broken machines and some cables

Preferably also a sofa.

laptop set, especially in the late 90s

No laptop in the 90s, strictly desktop PC with CRT monitor. :wang:

i know hes a compulsive liar, but he told me he had never played 'live' in a conventional sense of sequenced synths and drum machines because hes a ridiculous perfectionist, and prefers to get stuff finished in the studio then just play the track.

Yeah, in that clip he's basically hunched over an Alesis QuadraVerb (with the "homemade gear" in that Future Music interview off to the side, the one that another musician close to him later said was just a box of junk, I believe) while you can hear what sounds like an unreleased track and the regular studio version of .942937. The longer version of that video also includes Start As You Mean to Go On, if I remember correctly, a good two years before it was released, also sounding like the regular studio version.

I'm not entirely sure if this sort of music can be played live, so if it isn't, you can't really blame him.

Yeah, in that clip he's basically hunched over an Alesis QuadraVerb (with the "homemade gear" in that Future Music interview off to the side, the one that another musician close to him later said was just a box of junk, I believe) while you can hear what sounds like an unreleased track and the regular studio version of .942937. The longer version of that video also includes Start As You Mean to Go On, if I remember correctly, a good two years before it was released, also sounding like the regular studio version.

I'm not entirely sure if this sort of music can be played live, so if it isn't, you can't really blame him.

Haha, nice info about the box of junk. The first track is a Polygon Window track though, 5th track on the Quoth CD ("Hidden Track"). He only slightly twiddles a filter over it a few times, that video is well entertaining.

Ah well, it's like a Dutch radio host once said about him: the D. in RDJ stands for 'DAT', or 'DAT gaat vanzelf' (that goes automatically) after Aphex announces a liveset and just plays a DAT in the studio and falls asleep next to it.

Haha, nice info about the box of junk. The first track is a Polygon Window track though, 5th track on the Quoth CD ("Hidden Track"). He only slightly twiddles a filter over it a few times, that video is well entertaining.

That's what I get for buying digital downloads occasionally... Are there any other hidden tracks of his then?

• 4 weeks later...

Ah well, it's like a Dutch radio host once said about him: the D. in RDJ stands for 'DAT', or 'DAT gaat vanzelf' (that goes automatically) after Aphex announces a liveset and just plays a DAT in the studio and falls asleep next to it.

Especially when that wanker comes in on stage dancing like an idiot

Guest dragon feces

3189335574_ff64c70952_o.jpg

There's this pic from around that time period. Lots of homemade bits, mpc60, ms20/ms50, synthi aks, fx pedals, ar116 direct injection box...anyone know wtf is going on with that ethernet cable on the mpc?

That looks like:

• Korg MS-20
  • Korg MS-50
  • Akai MPC-60
  • The fake homemade synth from the live video and Future Music interview
  • Some homebrew devices, a guitar pedal, and a key fob with AFX stickers on them
  • Atari ST with a missing right mouse button (which looks like it's turned off in the live video)
  • BSS Audio AR-116
  • EMS Synthi
  • Various other homebrew or disassembled synths

Not that he's necessarily actually using any of these things.

Any idea what the guitar pedal is on top of the MPC? Looks like a Boss to me. Closest one I can find is the Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor, with the knobs off. Not sure though.

That looks about right to me. Does it matter though? It's not even plugged into anything. Really, you could just take any of these tasty old monosynths, a DAW, and a MIDI to CV converter, and make some beautiful music...

Relevant. :)

Any idea what the guitar pedal is on top of the MPC? Looks like a Boss to me. Closest one I can find is the Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor, with the knobs off. Not sure though.

That looks about right to me. Does it matter though? It's not even plugged into anything. Really, you could just take any of these tasty old monosynths, a DAW, and a MIDI to CV converter, and make some beautiful music...

Relevant. :)

Of course it doesn't matter - I just find it fun to track down stuff like that. You won't find me saying you *need* anything specific to make good music - I'm happy using my iPad.

Ha - nice find. (To save anyone from digging through AH - that's panflet poking fun at people obsessing over this image: http://www.nin.com/visuals/2-23-05.jpg)

Archived