IGNORED

Anyone sick of the word FOLKS?

JS20

God damn Aphex avatars. A lot of folks here think RDJ is Jesus or something. I respect him as an artist, but some of his fans just go overboard with their reverence for him.

Yes, I said folks. Deal with it.

Hmm, mixing up an avatar (which is a personal thing) after noticing visual similarity in two unrelated images of things I happen to like (a LOT more than Jesus), is not cool? 'Least I put a LITTLE effort into mine :dry:

Guest Alex0112

I cracked the hell up when I read this thread title.

Anyone else a server? This is my default word for addressing groups of people at the fine dining joint I work at. The only place I ever use the word.

"Good evening folks"

That's an unfriendly attitude.

Don't get me wrong, folks is a great word when you use it as a term of endearment or in the spirit of comradery (I call my parents "folks"), but not so much when one abuses the word or treats it like a gimmick just to improve one's public image or get a bigger tip.

anyone heard from Waschbar? we were supposed to meet up for our weekly discussion of heat vs night but I haven't been able to reach him since this last post.

Hey folks! Still very much alive, I've just been distracted by all the relevant policy changes the Obama administration has implemented! You should check out http://www.barackobama.com/ if you know that change is paramount to our growth as a people! If you have any questions about the democratic party and the exciting developments we are implementing please contact me. Your opinion matters!

In the past 4-6 years I have noticed a dramatic increase in the general public (at least in the USA) substituting the world "folks" for the word "people" and it's pissing me off. People are people, dammit! "Folks" used to imply a casual, close, friendly reference to a small gathering of people, your family, your parents, etc. Now people use it when referring to an arbitrary group of people, those whom they have probably never even met or heard of.... agggggghhhh!

I think Obama's speech writer started the whole fad as a way to make the prez sound more down-to-earth, even though few world leaders truly know, appreciate or give half a turd about these "folks" they keep talking about/to.

/rant

It's nothing to do with obama, the bush administration was really big on the use of folks, as a down homely way to replace the word people. They also were big on homeland (as a placeholder for fatherland really) instead of country.

• 1 month later...

check a dictionary before you start kicking off

folk
fəʊk/
noun
  1. 1.
    informal
    people in general.
    "her parents were country folk"
    synonyms: people, humans, persons, individuals, (living) souls, mortals; Mor

Archived