IGNORED

Which language should I learn next?

logakght

you dont like Hayao Miyazaki?

Oh yeah, forgot about him. I've only seen a couple films of his tho - Ponyo, Princess Mononoke, and one I can't friggin' find the title of that came out like two years ago. Started with an "A" I think.

Not a Miyazaki fan per se, but Mononoke is probably my favourite one I've seen by him. Katsuhiro Otomo will always be my number one anime director tho.

Anyway, going back on topic - I think whatever language is the most widely spoken in the world might be one with practical applications. A few of us mentioned Mandarin, of which I have only entry level skill. Spanish is widespread throughout the Americas, but I never bothered really learning it.

Satoshi Kon is the man for amazing anime if you ask me, but this is a sidetrack.

Taa

Taa has at least 58 consonants, 31 vowels, and four tones (Traill 1985, 1994 on East ǃXoon), or at least 87 consonants, 20 vowels, and two tones (DoBeS 2008 on West ǃXoon), by many counts the most of any known language. These include 20 (Traill) or 43 (DoBeS) click consonants and several vowel phonations, though opinions vary as to which of the 130 (Traill) or 164 (DoBeS) consonant sounds are single segments and which are consonant clusters.

I would say french first, because it is so similar to spanish, and then cantonese next for business purposes.

Again, if you're going to learn a Chinese dialect for business purposes, Standard Mandarin over Cantonese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Chinese

Portuguese might be useful, I'm not sure how different the Brazilian Portuguese is from the Portuguese spoken in Portugal, but Brazil is the growing economy out of the two, and opportunities abound there.

Maybe learn Cornish, then you can become Aphex Fanboy#1....

For the same reasons as you, I approached German and Chinese (Mandarin). I reckon Russian could be an option too.

I'd stick with Chinese tho. Not so many people speak it, so knowing it may be useful in the professional filed in the future. I work in IT and I bet more and more IT will come from china.

I would also suggest one of the chinese / japanese languages especially for business. I learnt japanese speaking and readin when i was about 18, it was really great fun and once you get into it makes alot of sense. plus i love how they use alot of sounds as kind of slang so it becomes very interesting. Probably one of the chinese ones is going to be more useful as theyre really going for it in the global markets

I would say french first, because it is so similar to spanish, and then cantonese next for business purposes.

Portuguese might be useful, I'm not sure how different the Brazilian Portuguese is from the Portuguese spoken in Portugal, but Brazil is the growing economy out of the two, and opportunities abound there.

Quite different, but it's a good idea to learn European Portuguese because it makes understanding Brazilian Portuguese easy as long as it's not too colloquial (colloquial Brazilian Portuguese is very inventive and that's hard to learn). Spoken European Portuguese, however, is not easy at all to understand if you are only used to Brazilian accents (even for natives).

Or so I've heard.

Again, if you're going to learn a Chinese dialect for business purposes, Standard Mandarin over Cantonese.

for some reason I thought cantonese was more common all these years

for some reason I thought cantonese was more common all these years

the-more-you-know.png

I'd go with a language that would allow you to collaborate with artists you wouldn't be able to communicate with otherwise

is there any sane artist in the world today (with an iq of >= 100) that doesn't speak at least a bit of english? i can't believe that. maybe on mars

Archived