IGNORED

Which language should I learn next?

logakght

I don't know if this is thread worthy, since it is a simple question, but I would like to hear different opinions about languages that could make me/us a more "professional" worker.

I already know english and spanish. But I don't know which one should be my third.

Any suggestions? I'm really into digital art/animation/creative artistic stuff in general, so which countries have predominance in those areas? I'm already thinking of german, but I don't like it that much.

Thanks a lot in advance.

japanese

Aye. There's at least a couple of us here who can show you the ropes.

I'm kind of curious about learning more Korean and Russian tho. Maybe even Arabic.

Hey! Japanese is one of the languages I really want to learn, but I sometimes feel it would be more of a "me" rather than a "me professional". I'm not into it cause anime or shit like that, I just think it is an alien language (and I like aliens).

If you wanna learn it it's worthwhile, and it doesn't require becoming a weeaboo or anime addict. Any anime made after the 1980s I pretty much ignore anyway (with the exception of Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop)

I already know english and spanish. But I don't know which one should be my third.

chinese (cantonese). the most people in the world speak it (over a billion people) and everything is made in china. how can you go wrong?

also whilst you're at it, learn some kung-fu

chinese (cantonese). the most people in the world speak it (over a billion people) and everything is made in china. how can you go wrong?

also whilst you're at it, learn some kung-fu

Actually Mandarin would be the most useful dialect to learn...

Korean and Japanese would definitely be more for self-improvement rather than professional development.

If you want to be smart about it, identify an upcoming market in whatever field it is that you work in, and learn that language. Some variant of Hindi might be useful, or Arabic.

Also, there have been some brilliant anime made after the ones mentioned earlier, and I'm not even an anime fanatic (meaning I'll watch something casually but am not dedicating hours of my life to anime/manga).

Esperanto perhaps...

"Esperanto is the most widely spoken constructed international auxiliary language. Its name derives from 'Doktoro Esperanto' ("Esperanto" translates as "one who hopes"), the pseudonym under which L. L. Zamenhof published the first book detailing Esperanto, the 'Unua Libro', on July 26, 1887. Zamenhof's goal was to create an easy-to-learn, politically neutral language that would transcend nationality and foster peace and international understanding between people with different languages.

Estimates of Esperanto speakers range from 100,000 to 2,000,000 active or fluent speakers worldwide, including perhaps a thousand native speakers who learned Esperanto from birth as one of their native languages. Esperanto has a notable presence in over a hundred countries. Usage is highest in Europe, East Asia, and South America."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto

I'm learning Japanese and I like doing it but if you're in it for professional reasons I'm not sure it's a good choice. Not because there aren't any possibilities, but because it takes a long time to learn, and more discipline than your average European language. Learning materials are also more expensive than for other languages (because of import taxes), but on the plus side there are tons of them. If you do choose Japanese, though, beware of Internet fanaticism - don't spend too much time on language learning sites unless they're actually teaching you some content.

Dunno, French, German, Russian is probably what everyone is going to tell you, I guess... Maybe (Brazilian) Portuguese?

french is pretty easy, especially if you already got english & spanish

working on german now myself because a lot of the word structure seems v.similar to english

major asian languages are definitely on the to-do list

I'm not sure about Mandarin or Russian. Knowing a language is already enough to make you stand out regardless of whether the language is spoken in a superpower, and it takes motivation to learn one, especially if it's difficult like those two are. Make sure you're interested in Chinese or Russian culture, or that you want to have to do with China or Russia in what you do.

Oh yeah definitely, but a lot of companies have big clients in those regions, so having an employee fluent in the language is a big plus. Especially if you're headed towards graphic design or animating intros and stuff for television.

Did anyone say arabic yet?

I'd recommend learning Italian. It's pretty easy to learn when you already speak other romance languages.

Also, in my humble opinion, german is pretty interesting language. Might not be the easiest to learn, but I think it's pretty poetic, when you dig deeper into the vocabulary, because there are some words that don't exist in any other language.

If you wanna learn it it's worthwhile, and it doesn't require becoming a weeaboo or anime addict. Any anime made after the 1980s I pretty much ignore anyway (with the exception of Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop)

you dont like Hayao Miyazaki?

i'd go german. it the world's best philosophical language, the most expressive, besides of arabic, imo.

Yes, if you're into philosophy German and French are the two musts. I can't wait to the point where my Japanese is at a reasonable level (hah!) so I can work on my pitiful German...

At least it isn't that hard provided you get your plurals and your irregular verbs sorted...

Archived