IGNORED

µ-Ziq - Rediffusion

auxien

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll try and avoid turning this into a longer running argument, since we both know how you handle those.

The fact that you've managed to burn through four iPods in five years, when I know people who have had a single one for longer than that, says more about the way you treat your possessions than the "digital format". Actually, why even bring that up? It's got nothing to do with my post at all, and honestly it wasn't even directed or you (hence why I didn't quote you, hint hint).

BUT, with that out of the way, you have to admit it's somewhat amusing how so many threads on here, for vinyl releases, turn into discussions about whether or not the distortion that appears on track-x is intentional or not, records that are warped, surface noise, bent sleeves etc., instead of the actual music. If you can't see the humor in that, I feel a little sad for you. Because it IS funny.

I'm sorry if I offended you with my extremely aggressive and mean-spirited post, AND for not being able to reach through my screen and clean up your vinylz, but please refrain from commenting on other people's behavior. Glass house and all that, ukno.

Now that you're in university, maybe you'll take an economics course and learn about something called planned obsolescence. iPods are designed to wear out with regular use within a very short time. Unless you treat the thing like an egg or a newborn baby (like the people you know) they are designed to break within 1-1.3 years. Incidently, this is in line with their product release schedule.

The vinyl is not dirty, it is poorly manufactured.

And yeah, I fail to see the humor in some of us paying for stuff and getting damaged product. I really do. Where is the humor in that?

And no-one said: "extremely aggressive". I said "passive aggressive". Thankfully, reading comprehension is a skill required in university and you will learn this in the near future.

Just an observation: page two of this thread (given my settings) begins with a recommendation from someone to not call established members "dicks", but that same person at the top of page three calls an established member a "dickhead".

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting a copy of this soon. His output lately has been impressive, from what I've heard. I was a huge fan of "In Pine Effect" and "Lunatic Harness" back in the day, but kinda lost interest around "Royal Astronomy".

FF was just making a joke about vinyl. He wasn't being a dickhead. You should chill out.

K.. I will chill out, it's not worth getting angry over you're right.

But he does tend to post in numerous threads laughing about people that have problems with vinyl, that's all. So after reading about it the umpteenth time and being a little frustrated having issues with two vinyls in one week, it made me a little pissy.

Chill time! :happy:

Have a good day/night

StephenG, step up your Applecare game. No need to keep buy new ones.

What's it cost for you? For me, a "refurbished" ipod costs $229 which is only $70 less than a brand new one!

That's past the 1 year warranty.... they always seem to die right after the warranty except for one year where I had 3 hard disk failures in one year ($199 to fix =S )

Is there a better option than ipod? The Zune seemed pretty good but that's long gone =(

What's it cost for you? For me, a "refurbished" ipod costs $229 which is only $70 less than a brand new one!

That's past the 1 year warranty.... they always seem to die right after the warranty except for one year where I had 3 hard disk failures in one year ($199 to fix =S )

Is there a better option than ipod? The Zune seemed pretty good but that's long gone =(

I think refurbs are ~$199 US, the Apple extended warranty (1 additional year I think) is $59 US though. It's worth it, since I've never had one last two whole years.

Maybe try a Sandisk MP3 player, if you don't need iTunes. Sony makes some nice ones too, but their availability is a little dodgy in North America.

Glad to hear it's not just me having problems with the apple products! I use mediamonkey instead of itunes. I'll either A) try a new mp3 player next time or B) get the extended warranty if it's available (for some reason I don't think it is, otherwise I would have gotten it all those times!!).

Cheers man =)

Also my apologies to Friendly Foil for going off the deep end a bit there, just frustrated is all.

Sorry for you Stephen, I really never had any problem with my iPods touch. Got the 1st gen, then went to the 4th one, and now I'm using the 5th one, hoping for a 6th gen at some point soon, usually after the new iPhone gets released. I understand the planned obsolescence theory and it's true in many cases, but Apple hardware is rock solid, at least in my experience. Where they go for the planned obsolescence is in their iOs or OS X. Once they upgrade their OS or iOS, sometimes the hardware starts getting slower over time. But as for the hardware itself, it's quality stuff I'd say. The same applies to Macbooks and iPads, again, in my experience.

I was looking into getting one of these. They seem to be pretty good.

Thanks for the tip, pattern, I will look into those. Always open to try a new gadget.

Asynchronous USB DAC function - what does that mean? It synchronises with iTunes or has a synchronisation software of its own? Cause I see iTunes on their page.

checking this out! It looks pretty sweet actually.

checking this out! It looks pretty sweet actually.

The bad reviews I find are all about the software. The sound seems to be great tho. If I can, I will try it.

you're out of your mind if you've blown through that many iPods in that time span! i had one of those early gen iPod nanos that was shaped like a mini cigarette box and it lasted me all the way through high school haha

APPLE MASTER RACE!!!!!!!!! AHHHH!!!!!!!! lol =) (flol)

I take care of them though that's the thing. I have a protective case and there's not even a scratch on this one (had it for a year).

The problem I have is always the hard drive in it screwing up. It makes this clicking noise and comes up with "hard disk error" on the screen. To repair it outside of apple is $185.

Every single time it's that hard disk error, haven't had any other issue.

I don't know what kind of storage protocol ipods use. I imagine it's probably flash from here on out, but back in the day it was some sort of mini platters spinning around in there like a normal HDD. Those are quite susceptible to damaging if you often change their orientation while they are being used or orient them improperly during use. I've one of the ones capable of playing video, but not touch screen. It's pretty old though. Don't really have any issues although I only use it on trips or to play mp3's in the car, but I used to store it in my vehicle year round. That's above 100 degrees that thing was experiences sometimes.

Yeah, as I suspected...

Pods have been criticized for alleged short life-span and fragile hard drives. A 2005 survey conducted on the MacInTouch website found that the iPod line had an average failure rate of 13.7% (although they note that comments from respondents indicate that "the true iPod failure rate may be lower than it appears"). It concluded that some models were more durable than others.[103] In particular, failure rates for iPods employing hard drives was usually above 20% while those with flash memory had a failure rate below 10%. In late 2005, many users complained that the surface of the first generation iPod Nano can become scratched easily, rendering the screen unusable.[104][105] A class action lawsuit was also filed.[106] Apple initially considered the issue a minor defect, but later began shipping these iPods with protective sleeves.[citation needed]

Archived