IGNORED

Star Wars Episode VII *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Rubin Farr

saw it yesterday. someone at work blurted out that han got killed, which was a huge bummer. i'm not super sensitive to spoilers but this one was tough for me because I watched the whole movie anticipating that emotional blow. but the visuals, the acting, the spaceships!!!!, the story, all that was good enough that by the time i knew it was coming i was ready and not super bummed. i think i need to see it a second time to just enjoy it because i got the sense that it was a super enjoyable movie but yeah, had that shit hanging over my head.

anyway, i thought the two kids were superb, better actors than the old regular cast and it was especially striking when they were in scenes together. that makes me super hopeful for what comes next. i was a little bummed this one had the EXACT same beats as episode 4, but that's forgivable. and for the love of god don't let rae be a skywalker/solo. just let her have her own mystery. jeez. we already re-did the patricide thing. do we have to redo the weird brother sister chemistry thing? no!

I was originally going to wait until it calmed down before seeing it, but I was worried this would happen, so I went a sap. Your coworker should be fired

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought we figured out a while back from a hint in one of the trailers that we were going to meet Luke's offspring. Who else would it be either than Rey? There were so many clues in the movie that she is the offspring of Luke. How she connected with Luke and Anakin's old lightsaber for example. If you're worried about a brother/sister chemistry thing, at least this time (hopefully) there won't be incestuous make out sessions. Just cousins tryin' ta kill each other for a while.

I'm pretty glad I read the 4 comics leading up to the movie. Nothing huge, but at least it shows how Poe is so skillful and possibly hints at other things to expect. And of coarse it kinda explains the state of the Empire after episode VI leading us to see how it got to the state in episode VII to an extent. I'll be reading the new canon books soon too. I'm pretty excited with all this new Star Wars material.

As for that link to the bunch of "plot holes", that was a pretty disappointing read as I was able to come up with lots of counter arguments until I got to 20 something where I gave up on the list and dismissed the whole thing as rubbish. Not that I was looking forward to plot holes, it's just that I was expected a good argument on something I had missed or something.

The comics are Shattered Empire.

I watched the film again as well, this time with headphones on and the dialogue was much clearer, and I had let go of my expectations. Kylo Ren was much more likeable and Han really held the movie together. Maybe Adam Driver will expand his role more in the next one. But like a lot of forums are saying, Rey felt like a Mary Sue. Rian Johnson has written the next two episodes, and stated they will be "totally fucking weird" so I'm gonna hold him to that, lol.

Happy Life Day!

wouldnt let me edit:

i did stumble onto a rumour tho that the more i think about the more i think it could honestly have some levity to it.

gonna put this in spoilers again cos potential episode 8 / 9 spoilers / hypothesizing going on here.

this got me thinking a lot, is the implication that Snoke is related to Darth Plagueis somehow?

Guest bitroast

well, i'm guessing more the two are one and the same.

there is the question of " who the fuck is super duper old looking snoke son-of-a-bitch and where did he come from all of a sudden ? ".

plus the mention that plageuis knew how to cheat death.

it seems ... possible, at least. and the music clue. the music could be more a part of linking snoke to sidious because the two both play a similar mentor role to vader/kylo. but i actually kind of dig the idea that plagius was behind it all and just manipulating the fuck out of everyone over all these years.

rubin farr linked to that article comparing the differences between episode 7 film and novelization. and the novel apparently makes some references to snoke being alive during the original trilogy and being aware of vader and everything that was happening during that period as well.

i also kind of like the theory on the level that. ... the prequel trilogy doesn't exactly add much to the overarching story that isn't already established in passing sentences in the original trilogy.

we get to see anakin fall to the dark side ... but as the audience we already know that because it's said in the original trilogy " anakin was obi wans student, a really good pilot, a good friend of obi wans, and then he fell to the dark side and became darth vader, and anakin as obi wan knew him was from a certain perspective dead. "

so ultimately, what is the point of the watching the prequels if the audience already knows the entire frickin story.

i kind like the idea that the new films, while fan servicing the original trilogy left right and center, will actually manage to give the prequel trilogy some worth by giving Darth Plagueis a bit more of a prominent role in the whole thing.

maybe ....

we will see.

episode 7 is so sick. everyone is buzzing and trying to figure out the little secrets and fill in the gaps.

i hate the prequels and love to shit on them as much i can and i m gonna do it again RIGHT NOW. the films put no effort into establishing secrets and then paying them off a film later with a big shocking " i am your father " / " there is another skywalker" reveal. what reveals and surprises the prequel films did have were all built on hints established within the same film. i'm really appreciating that episode 7 is laying down the ground work for big surprises down the line :)

if rey is a 'mary sue'what does that make luke?

a dumbass. he fails repeatedly, even after he's been trained by yoda. rey on the other hand needs no training to do anything, she's magically perfect. it's bad writing, but Daisy Ridley does a good job regardless, so it's not such a big deal.

Guest bitroast

luke leaves his training early because vader dangles a carrot and lays a trap using his buddies as bait on cloud city.

luke was never fully trained.

luke leaves his training early because vader dangles a carrot and lays a trap using his buddies as bait on cloud city.

luke was never fully trained.

yeah, and because he left early vader easily defeated him. he continued to be a dumbass throughout the movies.

Guest bitroast

Im starting to think the shot of the mechanical hand touching R2D2 is actually Anakin on Mustafar, not Luke.

... care to elaborate ??

Im starting to think the shot of the mechanical hand touching R2D2 is actually Anakin on Mustafar, not Luke.

... care to elaborate ??

ok,

Anakin/Luke's lightsaber seems to be showing Rey its "memory", although why we've never heard that concept before is a ridiculous Abramism. In my theory, it is showing her the battles it has been involved in, maybe those where it was used by the Darkside, or against it. Her first hallucination is the gantry entrance on Bespin, where Vader confronts Luke, then we see the mysterious hand on a fiery looking surrounding touching R2, with those embers floating around like Mustafar, which is where this saber was used by Anakin against Obi Wan. The only hole in this theory, is then it shows her the Kights of Ren slaughtering the New Jedi Order, even though it wasn't present at that location, so this is a shot in the dark, but then so is Abrams' entire writing career, lol.

There's been multiple instances of Jedis foreseeing future events in the films, so I don't understand why seeing past events is such a ridiculous concept to you.

Because they're giving sentience to a Lightsaber. If that's the way they wanna go, then they just need to stick to it. I'm getting the feeling they're setting up a six episode structure here, not just three. Maybe we'll see more experimental directors as they go along.

Because they're giving sentience to a Lightsaber.

no they're not, it's just the force doing it's thing via the lightsaber, triggering the force in her to see past/future shit

If you read my previous spoiler, I can see how that makes sense, but then Luke should have seen something as well when given Anakin's saber by Ben Kenobi. It's no big deal it's just a movie after all.

You need to spoiler that shit BCM.

Oh, and the lightsaber is not just a common inanimate object, it's imbued with the force by it's maker. There's also a bunch of wishy washy new age lore about the crystals that I never cared to get into. So the whole idea of it triggering her vision makes sense in that context, especially if it was used/made by someone in her family... the film is also written by Lawrence Kasdan (the guy behind the Empire Strikes Back, the best star wars film) and Michael Arndt, so don't blame JJ for everything. Anyway, this film is all about the characters, the rest is just a bunch of foreshadowing and silly entertainment.

Enough stupid geek arguments for me this year. Get over it gocab.

Archived