IGNORED

Star Wars Episode VII *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Rubin Farr

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes! lots of open communication. no physical violence. perhaps a bit loud, but the stakes were VERY high. so understandable behavior. you're not wilfully alienating yourself again, are you?

I'm sure there was no blood involved, but the hyperbole was a nice way to bring in bambi as a saving metaphor for "the poor guy". also touching how you seem to identify with the "poor guy" instead of all those other people who were annoyed by some idiot waving his phone around like it was some torch.

Movie was much better than expected.

+1 on "Turn off your phone you fucking moron"

That animal already had a polite request bellowing down at him from a 50' x 75' screen, in 3D, with surround sound and everything. Likely on more than one occasion. Completely warranted.

Guest bitroast

yeah +2, agreed 100%

post film discussions with friends and have ironed out my opinion just a bit.

left the film feeling a bit ' HMM ' but i think that was largely due to nitpicking or general sloppiness here and there that was sticking out a bit for me. but upon rethinking about it and thinking about the film and the story and the characters and the acting and the emotions and everything, i think its safe to say i like this film. it did feel a bit TOO close to home at times ( and the confusion regarding who / what / why re: republic post rotj and the resistance is still confusing to me // un explained )) but overall, i enjoyed it.

as a (almost literal) reboot of the franchise for a modern audience + sequel for familiar fans, i think it works pretty perfectly.

already booked tickets for 3 d imax in jan to get a 2nd viewing and soak it in again this time with no stress / no exceptions for story / just go in and enjoy the film :)

Guest bitroast

the lack of fanfare prior to destroying the star system in which the senate reside was a bit odd. it was sort of like 'oh, so that's it? they're done?'

yeah absolutely.

to the films strength and advantage, it very much echos EP IV in its story telling almost 100% to a T, but manages to flesh it out and follow the characters arcs in a much more grounded & different way. so while the death star (starkiller) blowing up felt anticlimactic, it also wasn't too much an issue because i was still totally invested in the overarching story and the characters and was ultimately satisfied with the film that the death star stuff felt more like the plot skeleton for the rest of the film to be built around. whether or not that is a criticism or not is a tough one cos in some parts they nailed it and in other parts they didnt. the death star blowing up definitely felt underwhelming.

another underwhelming element (for me!) was Supreme Leader Snook. Snoke. Bloke. whatever. he just felt, under established and confusing. who is this guy?? why is he controlling kylo ren. how is he controlling kylo ren. obviously he's a sith or something.

i guess my point is. that part felt underdeveloped. you could argue its left intentionally blank for the sake of mystery and digging deeper with in the future films, but for me it felt like overly deliberate Visual + Plot referencing to original trilogy without much self merit to the overall film. hopefully the future films prove me wrong but straight off the bat the Snoke charcater left me underwhelmed.

Guest bitroast

but if it wasn't a starring wars film we probably wouldn't bat an eye hehe

having said that..

this IS episode 7 and the sequel to the original trilogy. so i think the criticisms are totally fair.

yeah.

yeah yeah yeah.

star wars.

*makes lightsaber noises with mouth while swinging around *air lightsaber* with hands*

the lack of fanfare prior to destroying the star system in which the senate reside was a bit odd. it was sort of like 'oh, so that's it? they're done?'

yeah absolutely.

to the films strength and advantage, it very much echos EP IV in its story telling almost 100% to a T, but manages to flesh it out and follow the characters arcs in a much more grounded & different way. so while the death star (starkiller) blowing up felt anticlimactic, it also wasn't too much an issue because i was still totally invested in the overarching story and the characters and was ultimately satisfied with the film that the death star stuff felt more like the plot skeleton for the rest of the film to be built around. whether or not that is a criticism or not is a tough one cos in some parts they nailed it and in other parts they didnt. the death star blowing up definitely felt underwhelming.

another underwhelming element (for me!) was Supreme Leader Snook. Snoke. Bloke. whatever. he just felt, under established and confusing. who is this guy?? why is he controlling kylo ren. how is he controlling kylo ren. obviously he's a sith or something.

i guess my point is. that part felt underdeveloped. you could argue its left intentionally blank for the sake of mystery and digging deeper with in the future films, but for me it felt like overly deliberate Visual + Plot referencing to original trilogy without much self merit to the overall film. hopefully the future films prove me wrong but straight off the bat the Snoke charcater left me underwhelmed.

I'm sure they'll develop him a lot further, and I say that with a ton of confidence. After all, you were comparing how similar episode VII is to IV, and the Sith/Empire's leader wasn't even in that episode. We first met him in episode V where he was also first shown only as a holographic projection. Then in episode VI we finally see him in the flesh... the mangled, wrinkly *shudders* flesh. So I was pretty happy that they already introduced what seems to be the new lord of the Sith. And I like how massive he is. Now I can see what Andy Serkis was talking about on why his character was fully CG and motion captured.

Actually, I saw the movie with my good friend, and afterwards we were joking on how since we only saw Snoke's holographic projection, maybe he just likes to make himself feel big through an enlarged projection because he's actually about Yoda's size and suffers from self-esteem issues. Also, of coarse Matt Parkman (Greg Grunberg's character) was a Jedi all along.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that I really liked it. It definitely took a good first step into a new post-episode VI universe.

The more I think about the decision to make the new movies separate from the expanded universe, the more I like the decision. At first, I was disappointed to see characters like Mara Jade go, but they have pretty solid stories already that are still there in books n stuff. Disney's attempt at explaining these characters could have gone very wrong in a lot of ways, too. And if they stuck completely to the expanded universe canon, then we would already know what happens. That would take away a ton of suspense. I think we can agree that suspense is pretty damn important in film. Which is obviously why a lot of people try to avoid spoilers. Anyways, I've made my point enough for now. Bed time.

Guest bitroast

oh man. the expanded universe / fan fiction is definitely an area they NEEDED to deviate from.

that whole multi collaborated just seemed like a bit of a mess tho in which certain books would confuse and complicate and contradict each other and the best way to enjoy the books would be to pick your own personal favorites and ignore the others.

there's no reason you can't enjoy both, just as i choose to enjoy the original trilogy while largely ignoring the prequel trilogy. star wars is what you make it. enjoy the books if you want to. plus now you can enjoy the films and have real anticipation as to what is going to happen next.

Guest bitroast

oh man. it's so great finally having *FULL ACCESS* again to the internet. catching up on all the star wars related vids i missed out on in trying to avoid spoilers .

Having the displeasure of watching the "enhanced" original trilogy before seeing this I must say it holds up very well, I'd rate them V>IV>VII>VI. Return is pretty bad, especially with the terrible CGI and other stupid shit George Lucas added to it. Fuck you George.

Guest bitroast

watched the despecialized editions of the films prior to 7 (fan recreations of the theatrical cuts using various hd/high quality footage). even during these rewatches i found myself almost falling asleep during Return of the jedi. like, it's really pretty boring. and the shift in tone from empire to return is really jarring too. you always hear about return of the jedi being ruined by the muppets / ewoks portion of the film, but honestly the whole has it.

the film can be broken into ->

act 1 jabbas palace ( smuggler crime lord who han is on the run from for first 2 films and is reputable scary mafia mobster ) = ends up being a muppet party.

act 2 luke visits muppet in swamp

act 3 luke faces vader + rest of crew spend time with muppets in forest.

the whole tone of the film, plus the super, duper, child friendly handling of luke's (is he gonna??) fall to the darkside.

so yeah, return of the jedi is not great.

having said that!! return of the jedi is the closing chapter to the original trilogy. and those 3 films man, i grew up with them all so close to my heart and held them all so dear.

so is 7 (the exciting new start to a new trilogy of star wars films) better than episode 6 (the lackluster ending to the fantastic trilogy that started it all??).

it's impossible for me to say.

Archived