IGNORED

Star Wars Episode VII *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Rubin Farr

I read the article with google translate. It was bad. And i'm not sure whether it was due to the translation either. I stopped reading after all the points on the new deathstar and the quality of acting. The star killer is a known thing and the arguments wrt the acting didnt convince in any way. There were hardly any arguments besides stating the acting was bad. That could be googletranslate though. And my assumption that any serious attempt to analyze the new star wars movie is mostly for butthurt star wars zealots who didnt see their unrealistic fantasies being fulfilled.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read the article with google translate. It was bad. And i'm not sure whether it was due to the translation either. I stopped reading after all the points on the new deathstar and the quality of acting. The star killer is a known thing and the arguments wrt the acting didnt convince in any way. There were hardly any arguments besides stating the acting was bad. That could be googletranslate though. And my assumption that any serious attempt to analyze the new star wars movie is mostly for butthurt star wars zealots who didnt see their unrealistic fantasies being fulfilled.

it gets better later

later on he mentions that killing off han solo was a terrible idea, since there is no other character in the movie that can hold together charisma and humor so well. also the way in which it was done, no drama just "BAM -dead, new scene" .. kinda hard to translate

he also points out that the series could have been continued without basically entirely copying the plot of the fourth movie.. just changing the names of "rebellion" to "resistance" and "empire" to "first order".

iunno, i liked it but its probably because its really well written spanish xD

Finally watched SW yesterday, man that was incredible.

TBH I teared up at a couple scenes. Man that father-son storyline shit gets a bit too real when you actually have a kid. I'll probably rant so more about it but until then some highlights:

- It looked incredible, the marriage or tasteful but epic CGI with real props and stunts was exactly what I hoped for. It looked and felt like it was the same universe as the original trilogy.

- I loved the newbies: Rey, Finn, and BB-8. Finn had some goofy lines but delivered them well. Besides he kind of taps into the "gee shucks" vibe of Luke from ANH at times. This is also a guy who is kind of realizing it's ok to joke and laugh and feel compassion. The plot device of him being a trained killer who breaks down once he's actually prompted to kill harkens to Han Solo's now Legends/former EU backstory. He was a Imperial pilot recruit who couldn't stomach the Empire's use of wookies as slaves (and how he met Chewie) and his anti-authoritative attitudes in general didn't jive with military service. Which is why he was anti-Empire but not a Rebellion member in Episode IV. Rey was believable and looked the part of a resourceful desert scavenger (her mask looked akin to Leia's desguise as Boushh in ROTJ), if she's "Mary Sue" nominated as some online are pushing for, than Luke is the greatest Mary Sue of all time. BB-8 was basically a more spry, spazzy, snarky and silly R2D2.

- The First Order (i.e. Empire mk. II) looks fucking ill. Their attire is slick and menacing, the officers are again pale, stiff, British-accented assholes, and there was even less subtle allusions to the Third Reich and 20th century fascism in their emblems and ideology. Not sure what to think of Snoke but he's mysterious, so that's a plus. The prequels never had a proper bad guy besides Darth Maul - who was a blip - and Palapatine - who was already well-known. Grievous and Dooku always felt like a mid-tier VG boss and a Sith dud respectively. The Clones and Trade Federation were underwhelming.

- Speaking of prequels, they really suck now in hindsight. My liking of them at all is really rooted in teenage nostalgia at this point. I sincerely appreciate the task Lucas had with making them though, especially creating an entirely new plot versus re-hashing a lot of the trilogy as it was with Force Awakens. But they still sucked. Kylo Ren's engaging presence for example is literally demonstrating what Anakin could of been if he had a different storyline and context.

- Maz Kanata fills the patient/kind wise elder void left by Yoda very well, I wish she had more screen time but I hope she'll crop up again.

- I like Poe despite my skepticism before seeing the movie, he reminds me of Wedge Antilles (a fan fav minor character/huge EU character but who would be like 70 or so in the movie) and serves as a way to prevent Rey or Finn from being too unbelievably badass as pilots. Maybe he'll be kind of a likable but dick-ish anti-hero later, akin to Lando or pre-ROTJ Han.

- Most disappointed by the lack of development/involvement with Captain Phasma as a character. Besides the visual impact of her costume and stance there wasn't anything else to comment on. Unless she shows up again in the next film I guess she's the one dud of the movie.

- Plot wise my biggest gripe is the quick introduction, use, and subsequent destruction of the Starkiller. A much better concept than the 1st and 2nd Death Stars by harnessing powers of suns via a co-opted planet's core versus building a star destroyer from scratch, and I feel like that had more potential to horrify the Galaxy with it's power. It's destruction via a New Hope redux was a bummer though I thought it was a cool ending to have it become a new star in the process. Maybe the Resistance will use that as a propaganda symbol.

- lot more I could rave about but I'll save it for later I guess.

Gary from FSOL put in his two cents on FB:

"STAR BORES - The Farce Awakens

Star Wars at its best relied heavily on the silent power of The Force . The force carried an almost meditational alignment akin to the spiritual resonance and discipline of a martial arts or zen practitioner . Many great movies have tapped similar , greater mystical , unspoken ancient spiritual 'forces' to add power to the plot and Star Wars at its best was no exception.

The force is now , however , bandied around without anything of such depth or significance & it's a massive oversight . Sure ,light sabers crackle frequently into action and the force is referred to frequently as if just mentioning the words is enough but without seeing the discipline needed and any struggle of aligning with it ( as Luke Skywalker did initially with the masterly OBE WAN ?) this deeper mystical connection is non existent & STAR WARS becomes just another( albeit impressive ) giant fly through , virtual fight and flight scene . It's like an arcade game without the interaction ,depth or significance . Maybe it's the logical next step for cinema ? A world increasingly versed and participating in gaming & interactiveness can recognize it , feel comfortable , substitute the interaction with over indulgence of sugary snacks and sit, chill out as you're propelled through all the aesthetics of a game joined with just enough of a plot and dialogue to augment without ruining the immersiveness of the game . It's a video game for non - gamers or a chill out for gamers !

If you need human relations , interaction or development of character however , y'know the language of truly great movies to give you a reason to want to undertake the thrill of the 'fly through' then I suggest you'll struggle with this film since these aspects are scant to say the least . All in all , it's all there in form and aesthetic but the force lacks deeper meaning for me to make the fly through a truly rewarding trip .

Once you're high on sugary snacks and pop it could well be the sensory thrill you're seeking but it's telling that I returned home craving to watch a Norman Wisdom film I hadn't seen ( or thought about ) for about twenty years which we duly found and watched . My 8 year old daughter brightened up considerably ( rather than literally picking her 3d glasses apart so she was reduced to watching through one eye in 3D and the other normal. :))) ) and when asked which she preferred shouted 'Norman Wisdom ' loudly . Incidentally , to give some context to her credo as critic ,she'd neither experienced Star Wars or Norman Wisdom before but is quite able to immerse herself in ( and love ) over 2 hours of recent spacey epic Interstellar.

Herein lies another problem Star Wars makes huge assumptions you're a fan already , it meant nothing to her and made little sense nor did it 'awaken ' any desire to find out . It's gonna take advantage of your nostalgia that's for sure cos give it a few months and you'll see it for what it is . A video game where the architecture has been expertly put in place ready for a film to inhabit when they inject narrative ..Everything is there ready ( they have made sure of that - STAR WARS greatest bits and hits ?) but rather than make a complete movie with satisfying narrative its merely set up the architecture ready for the next stage in their corporate masterplan . The Force might very well have 'awakened ' but it hasn't emotionally stirred that's for sure . This film has been made with an eye very firmly on how the franchise rolls out over the next ten years which has got little to do with the art of filmmaking and further emphasizes the commerce of film brands and sequels rolling out simultaneously across thousands of shopping malls around the world these days . Fuck the inevitability of a sequel I say , make a complete experience that warrants it ! This is like the first strategic single of a pop star's first new album in 10 years , it delivers only enough to awaken the desire of the fanbase to want more . To make new fans however will require watching the first film again . Y'see it's all been strategically planned by the new committee . The days of maverick filmmakers is dead . Long live the franchise ."

The thing that strikes me the most after having seen it, is that I didn't give a flying fuck that

Han Solo was killed.

Other than that, it relies too much on nostalgia. Which is a waste of potential, when the best thing about the movie are the new characters/lead actors.The whole movie is quite effectively (re-)setting the stage for new adventures to come (which leaves room for some optimism regarding the next two movies), but this one is just too linear, derivative and un-engaging to stand on its own feet. Gorgeous pastiche, still.

Summary: Best Star Wars movie ever, 4/6.

It's funny how people who've never seemed to give a fuck about Star Wars, or, well, movies in general, are suddenly super invested in this. It's kind of fascinating really, how easy it is for marketing guys to dictate the taste/interests of some (this sounds smug as fuck)

also I don't mean to imply I dont fall for marketing crap and advertising, but this is a whole different level, so blatantly obvious

I'm the opposite. I was hugely into SW as a kid and teenager, then kind of fell out of following EU stuff after I went to college and the general bummer of the prequels. In my 20s I've actually been more keen on all of the odd stuff related to the original trilogy: the Marvel Comics of the 80s, EU stories of characters like IG-88 or other X-Wing fighters, stuff like that. I love the aesthetics and props of the first trilogy more that 90% of the prequel era EU stuff. Most of my interest for Force Awakens was pretty belated because I really didn't have the time or energy to spend hours online pouring over every leak and promo...but man I was pretty fucking pumped for it. Watching it in theaters reminded me of when I first saw it as a kid on VHS when my dad let me stay up late and watch it with my friends. I was like maybe 6 or 7 tops. It's why I wasn't so hung-up on all the re-hashing I guess.

the whole captain phasma thing is the dumbest complaint ever.

it's obvious now she was doing the press circuits because she's in game of thrones and is super popular, but within the context of the film itself ... there is no reason to be excited or disappointed at lack of phasma. she's a minor character that gets more screen time than boba fett yet everyone is up in arms because they had expectations of some kick ass super prominent character.

the rest of those points ... fall largely to sloppy writing and happy conveniences. agreed.

She's the Force Awakens equivalent of Boba Fett. Dude was hyped before Empire in the Holiday Special, as an action figure, and in other promo material yet he has 4 lines (plus a scream) in Empire and ROTJ

wouldnt let me edit:

i did stumble onto a rumour tho that the more i think about the more i think it could honestly have some levity to it.

gonna put this in spoilers again cos potential episode 8 / 9 spoilers / hypothesizing going on here.

this got me thinking a lot, is the implication that Snoke is related to Darth Plagueis somehow?

I actually wondered that when I saw Snoke on the screen. After thinking "he looks like a Snape-y LOTR-esque bad guy" I remembered later about Darth Plagueis being Muun species - humanoid but not human and Snoke looked like a corpse-y version of him in other EU material.

I like this theory ok. The idea of him personifying a more eternal evil force, one very much connected with necromancy and coldness in general is appealing than just vague "evil" bad guy mk. III

I suppose the First Order fits into this as well with their militant perspective on things. Cold. Uniform. Invincible. Contrasting is the Jedi with their view of life and death as a natural cycle, and an imperfect diverse democracy as a alternative to an fascist, perfected Empire.

Also hoping the Empire acts more cunning, not just Death Star 4 on the horizon but maybe something akin to the tactics and tenacious maneuvering that Thrawn demonstrated in all of the post-ROTJ EU novels. Imperial forces in guerrilla mode seems a lot more terrifying than the same old trope.

Knowing JJ Abrams was attached meant that I would probably enjoy this film whilst not being particularly blown away, which was spot on. Its biggest mistake is how much of it is a remake, signposted very early on with that robot from A New Hope popping up in the first 5 minutes. Can't find the right clip but this fella.

The rehashed trench run scene when they attack the Deathstar thing was totally unneeded, and Han's final scene was so clearly signposted with the characters helplessly watching on exactly like with what happened to Obi-wan that when it happened I wasn't particularly bothered. Although saying that I am glad they didn't dwell too long on Chewbacca's grief as I wouldn't have been able to handle it.

Anyway, seeing it again at the IMAX tomorrow and looking forward to it so it done a lot of things right, I just hope in the next one they veer off the beaten track rather than having Luke take the place of Yoda in Empire.

Just watched this in 2D and I had a blast, looking forward to the sequels. It probably helped that I had zero expectations, can't even remember the last time (or even if) I saw any of the six movies (from beginning to end) except for Episode I when it came out. Definitely derivative and rehashed although it didn't bother me at all :)

2D, not really a fan of 3D although I'm not actively avoiding it, just turned out this way. I think 3D is just a bit more cash, and you have to buy 3D glasses for one quid or not forget bringing your previously bought one (read: always having to buy a new one and ending up with 6 of those things at home).

3d is a gimmick for masking bad cgi and artificially upping ticket prices. the picture is passed through a polarizer before hitting the screen, dulling the picture, and then your glasses have another polarizer on them further muddying it. save your money and see it on a brighter screen in 2d

It's my understanding this is a post-processed 3d movie. I prefer watching 3d movies that have been filmed with 3d cameras.

I think James Cameron is the only director who is still considering filming his stuff in native 3D...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_3D_films

So, The Force Awakens made a billion dollars (I'm assuming worldwide) in 12 days, beating Jurassic World by a day - what do you think the final cinematic release haul will end up being?

Jurassic World made $1,668,984,926 worldwide in its cinematic run, so Star Wars doesn't have far to go, although the dailies will diminish rapidly I reckon now the holidays are almost over. Interestingly enough, a billion of that 1.6 billion came from overseas versus domestic showings.

Archived