IGNORED

Star Wars Episode VII *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Rubin Farr

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

also, i think there is a possibility han survived and we may get a LOTR 2 style opening scene in the next movie a la gandalf falling down the shaft and fighting the balrog. i'm not suggesting han solo is going to fight a balrog, but you get the idea... when a major character falls down a big hole, and you don't see what happens to them, more often than not there is a miraculous escape. i know he just got a lightsaber through his abdomen, but maybe it missed all the major organs or something... anyway, don't count someone dead until you see a body, that's what i say.

Enjoyed this one much more than I expected. It felt like a proper Star Wars film. Lots of fan service and all that, but I loved it. Didn't feel cheap. I think Han is gone though. The whole setup of the scene was for a dramatic death. As much as I'd love to see him return in the next one, I don't think he's coming back. Only think that bothered me was how Chewie didn't seem to take it too hard. When they returned to the base, he just went up chatting with the other guys or something.
The ending scene made me really anxious to see the next one. I really wanna see Luke get on some jedi action.

Jeez, this movie was bad.

i wanted to quote all of his posts in this thread, ending with that one, but screw that

I've been looking forward to this movie since it was announced, so it was a big disappointment to me. I still love Star Wars though, Rebels is great. This was just a speed bump along the way.

Guest bitroast

the whole captain phasma thing is the dumbest complaint ever.

it's obvious now she was doing the press circuits because she's in game of thrones and is super popular, but within the context of the film itself ... there is no reason to be excited or disappointed at lack of phasma. she's a minor character that gets more screen time than boba fett yet everyone is up in arms because they had expectations of some kick ass super prominent character.

the rest of those points ... fall largely to sloppy writing and happy conveniences. agreed.

Guest bitroast

so many of those complaints are pretty silly and are about on-level with the conveniences and lazy writing of the original trilogy. seriously, watch all 3 back to back and they don't exactly add up to make some big super logical story. the description of the force jumps around from movie to movie. they even seem to make a joke of it every now and then. obi wan ghost - " so ... from a certain perspective, what i said was true." luke - ' pffft... from a certain perspective".

if the jedis were a super prominent religion in the prequel trilogy complete with massive temple in capital planet of the system (coruscant) where they train and walk around and engage in battles (( ... THE CLONE WARS ... anyone? )) , and have some massive skyscraper called the jedi council, etc. why do the imperials in A New Hope have 0 recollection of the jedi and refer to vaders jedi hobby as some dumb hobbledigook made up fad ??.

the main thing i don't understand about the new film is the resistance. after the fall of the empire in VI, the republic seem to take over full time and rule the universe or something? but then in VII they're back to square one and don't have a proper military and instead and are in hiding on remote locations and using a " resistance " force that is identical to the super underground rebel forces in the original trilogy.

ultimately it doesn't matter and the film is clearly the way it is in an attempt to " reboot " star wars and use A New Hope as a backbone for the story.

Another good article, on the novelization, which are usually much more detailed, especially here where some scenes had no dialogue so you have to describe that with actual werds, and some stuff cut out we'll probly see on the home video release:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-11-biggest-differences-between-the-book-and-movie-v-1749329046

This film was excellent. The flaws are so minor in the midst of how much I enjoyed watching it.

Not to harp on this movie as I said I have a soft spot for SW, but this nails it:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/seth-abramson/40-unforgivable-plot-holes-in-star-wars-the-force-awakens_b_8850324.html

Nails it? A lot of these are moot points/nitpicks.

Guest bitroast

Another good article, on the novelization, which are usually much more detailed, especially here where some scenes had no dialogue so you have to describe that with actual werds, and some stuff cut out we'll probly see on the home video release:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-11-biggest-differences-between-the-book-and-movie-v-1749329046

oo man. this actually clears up exactly what i was confused about earlier re: the resistance

as well as ... more or less confirms the snoke theory i posted (???) :)

34. How do the Rathtars on Han's freighter get loose?

Rey let them loose by pulling out the wrong fuse. Most of his other points are incredibly dumb as well.

That article was written by another idiot who doesn't understand what a plot hole actually is (see any of those articles about "plot holes" in Prometheus for more examples of these guys).

Star Wars was always silly and filled with ridiculous coincidences, this movie was no different, but seeing as one of the main undercurrents of the whole thing is a fate-like magical force, it's hardly surprising. It didn't contain any major logical inconsistencies that I could see though.

The thing I liked least about the film was probably Rey, who if they were trying to make mirror Luke from the first movie should have been a hell of a lot less perfect at everything - nails the jedi mind trick on her third attempt, defeats a supposedly well trained dark side guy in a lightsabre duel on her first attempt, and in terms of her personal character development she's pretty dull as well, the only slightly interesting thing about her is a fleeting moment of self doubt and some baggage related to her childhood abandonment, but aside from that - which is pretty quickly left behind in the latter part of the film - she's pretty flawless in every way, both character and ability wise. Luke was basically a dumbass in the first movie, blundering around being saved by Obi Wan and Han Solo, and even after he receives his training from Yoda he's still far from perfect and has to be bailed out by his friends and finally his Dad at the end, it's frightening to think how capable Rey is going to be after she actually receives some training, presumably she'll be able to destroy the Death Star Mk IV by looking at it or something.

Having said all that, it's not a big deal, it was a pretty enjoyable movie, looked great, humour worked well, music was good, and served as a pretty loving homage to the original movies, and helped somewhat in clearing off the stink of the last three movies. Hopefully it'll develop a bit more of it's own personality and some more original plotting in the next two though.

I thought it was really good, but pandered toward the superfans a bit. A lot of parallels to ep4, maybe too many. It gave me 'the feels' though, as children say these days.

like after like 5 seconds in the movie i realised i had fallen into a trap of some sorts where a little bb8 had swalloed some super secret data slot

tnx a lot disney

i had some enjoyable moments..., but i had no superfun or something

it was just ok i guess. i dont feel the need to put it into more words than that

Saw it yesterday and enjoyed it, felt a bit rushed though. After reading about what was cut and changed, I'll be curious to see a future extended/director's cut.

But the thing to me about SW and similar films isn't much in how you feel the first time you watch it, but how it holds up to repeat viewings. That's something that'll really define this and the upcoming films.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

saw it yesterday. someone at work blurted out that han got killed, which was a huge bummer. i'm not super sensitive to spoilers but this one was tough for me because I watched the whole movie anticipating that emotional blow. but the visuals, the acting, the spaceships!!!!, the story, all that was good enough that by the time i knew it was coming i was ready and not super bummed. i think i need to see it a second time to just enjoy it because i got the sense that it was a super enjoyable movie but yeah, had that shit hanging over my head.

anyway, i thought the two kids were superb, better actors than the old regular cast and it was especially striking when they were in scenes together. that makes me super hopeful for what comes next. i was a little bummed this one had the EXACT same beats as episode 4, but that's forgivable. and for the love of god don't let rae be a skywalker/solo. just let her have her own mystery. jeez. we already re-did the patricide thing. do we have to redo the weird brother sister chemistry thing? no!

and for the love of god don't let rae be a skywalker/solo. just let her have her own mystery. jeez. we already re-did the patricide thing. do we have to redo the weird brother sister chemistry thing? no!

maybe Obi Wan had a brother or a sister (might explain her british accent)? whoever it turns out to be I think it'll be a key element in the trilogy, can't see them introducing it as part of the story and including it in her lightsabre-flashback/premonition trip if it wasn't going to be important later on.

I saw it for the second time this evening, it certainly held up to the second viewing, and I realised a few things that could've been clearer the first time. I didn't cop on that the republic homeworld and it's moons had been blown up, I thought all that would be still on coruscant for some reason, I thought they were just speaking figuratively at their little fascist rally, they could've maybe done with a bit more exposition in parts to make some of the political backdrop a bit more obvious - though not to the same boring level as with the prequels of course (am still a little unsure as to what the deal is with the republic, resistance, empire/first order and how they all relate to one another now - I'm guessing they'll spend more time on this in the next one, they were focusing on naive kids in this one, entering into a world they knew little about, so maybe it was a deliberate choice to keep it all focused on their immediate reactions to events rather than trying to create a big-picture view of what's going on). I also got the feeling that maybe it was a bit rushed in parts, which I hadn't really felt the first time round, apparently they cut quite a lot so will definitely be good if they can release an extended cut (Disney will want to wring as much money from this as possible, so there's a good chance I think).

Guest bitroast

saw it yesterday. someone at work blurted out that han got killed, which was a huge bummer. i'm not super sensitive to spoilers but this one was tough for me because I watched the whole movie anticipating that emotional blow. but the visuals, the acting, the spaceships!!!!, the story, all that was good enough that by the time i knew it was coming i was ready and not super bummed. i think i need to see it a second time to just enjoy it because i got the sense that it was a super enjoyable movie but yeah, had that shit hanging over my head.

anyway, i thought the two kids were superb, better actors than the old regular cast and it was especially striking when they were in scenes together. that makes me super hopeful for what comes next. i was a little bummed this one had the EXACT same beats as episode 4, but that's forgivable. and for the love of god don't let rae be a skywalker/solo. just let her have her own mystery. jeez. we already re-did the patricide thing. do we have to redo the weird brother sister chemistry thing? no!

*blubbed out in george lucas accent*

it's like poetry .. it rhymes

Guest bitroast

maybe. still inclined to say its lukes baby because of that flashback imagery.

kylo - "no rey. I ... am your cousin."

Archived