IGNORED

Star Wars Episode VII *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Rubin Farr

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I'm considering rewatching it at the cinema. I never do that, felt like I was a kid again, back in the cinema watching return for the first time with my dad, only this time I was the father, bringing my kid. Wish I could've brought my dad as well, alas.

Guest bitroast

Watched it yesterday, looked fantastic but the story was boring basically ep 456 rolled in to one. I hope this was just to set the scene for the sequel.

on one level, i would very much have preferred a brand new story / chapter.

but i dont think its all that bad.

its interesting thinking about it from the perspective that this is the first film since the end of lucas and start of disney control over star wars. it makes alot of sense that they would want to re-establish the franchise in an incredibly fan friendly, close to the roots manner. with a remake/reboot, so to speak. so to sort of shoehorn the two together (remake + sequel) together into one is a pretty weird and interesting move. a bit "safe". but at the same time, i honestly think it kind of worked. it helps that it plays a lot to self referencing / "poetry" element that has existed in star wars for a wee while now.

and ye, having said all that. it still works as a sequel, as continuing the story that was left behind after Episode 6.

it reminds me of a tv series, where jj abrams + friends have made the "pilot" for the new series. and in doing so they wanted to recreate the tone and magic of the original films, and from there future films can use it as reference to what 'new star wars' should be about.

provided the new films give us some new ideas ( and hopefully some more original score work by john williams ! ) then i think this was a fantastic move.

Guest bitroast

I wonder if Han is still alive as they did it before with Luke. The animated aliens looked shit. Female yoda with glasses and gigant gollum? WTF?

han is dead m8.

i did stumble onto a rumour tho that the more i think about the more i think it could honestly have some levity to it.

gonna put this in spoilers again cos potential episode 8 / 9 spoilers / hypothesizing going on here.

Jeez, this movie was bad.

a Star Wars movie with no Jedi in it? Very underdeveloped and rushed into production bc "gotta make that 2015 deadline!" The biggest disappointment besides the story was the music, or lack thereof. Williams' usual fanfares and thematic motifs seemed to be absent, we only got a few callbacks to Leia's Theme, and the Force Theme once in a while but the rest felt empty. Snoke was a joke, hey that rhymed. General Hux seemed to have his hands tied behind his back the entire film. Phasma was pointless. Where were the recognizable alien species for visual continuity? Suddenly, everyone was a new goofy looking monster. The plot was disjointed and poorly written, Harrison Ford was the only entertaining thing holding this mess together. And that ending...

JJ Abrams is a hack television producer that should have stayed in that medium. sad wang :sad:

ugh. guys.

i've spent all of today thinking about this movie. it's totally engrossed me.

Same here, I guess that's quite good isn't it ?

I felt so excited during the movie...Really loved it, but I fully understand why people could find it boring or repetitive. Yet I'm really looking forward to see episodes VIII and IX to put this episode in the context of the whole trilogy - I'm sure things will make sense then.

Also :

I love how old characters don't break into the movie at the same time. The idea of keeping Luke and R2D2 for the end of the movie was great imho

Guest bitroast

man. i enjoyed it.

took a wee while to get used to the idea of it being a *SURPRISE* *SPOILERS* remake. but ultimately, i think it's a sick, engaging, fun, gripping film. with fun news characters (and stellar performances by harrison ford and chewbacca).

and ... i'm super excited to see episode 8 and where the franchise goes next.

Yeah I was very afraid of the new characters because I did not found them to be interesting in the trailers. But the acting of both the main characters is great and it makes the movie even more enjoyable. I also never thought I'd like BB-8 that much !

I think i like Star wars way too much to enjoy this movie (that i truly hated). I'm not saying this to troll or piss off those who loved it but i do really associate Star wars (the first 3 ones) with fantasy, futuristic stuff to enjoy the latest one that i think rely on vintage/nostalgia, predictable screenplay & reboots of old ideas.

I'm getting a feeling the people who dig the expanded universe hate this film. I hate the expanded universe though, so I'm good.

I've seen people on Facebook say that this film wasn't Star Wars. To which I replied "Yeah Jar Jar Binks stepping in shit is way more Star Wars than this". They said they were ok with this character and that it was still better than "the idiot nigger sidekick + cute robot couple".

I don't know I feel like the majority of negative reviews I've read for now have just shown either bad faith or poor arguments, or both.

you'd have to be a really miserable cunt not to like this movie...i'm not really into SW and my wife certainly isn't either (she proper hates ep 4 - 6) but we both really enjoyed this for what it is...an entertaining, spectacular, funny, sad, exciting movie about people set in space. it's not fucking citizen kane and it ain't trying to be... it captures the spirit of the originals and i think improves on it.

enjoyed it a lot. probably the best of any of the recent reboot/milking/endless sequels of the last decade probably. that suspended blaster shot was pretty rad way introduction to kylo. adam driver is a fucking boss

Archived