IGNORED

Star Wars Episode VII *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Rubin Farr

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's also the first Star Wars individual film to break the 1 billion dollar mark.

my cinema didnt even have an 2d option hate this situation when you cant chosse between 2 & 3 d . Only movie i ever wanted to see in 3d was Interstellar and it was in 2d lol

Wait - they were ONLY showing it in 3D? I guess to justify higher ticket sales?

It's also the first Star Wars individual film to break the 1 billion dollar mark.

my cinema didnt even have an 2d option hate this situation when you cant chosse between 2 & 3 d . Only movie i ever wanted to see in 3d was Interstellar and it was in 2d lol

yeah nearly 80% of all the Star Wars screenings are in 3d and we have a lot of great old & new theaters in Town. I payed around 13,20 €

oh and the martian was only 3D !

So, The Force Awakens made a billion dollars (I'm assuming worldwide) in 12 days, beating Jurassic World by a day - what do you think the final cinematic release haul will end up being?

Jurassic World made $1,668,984,926 worldwide in its cinematic run, so Star Wars doesn't have far to go, although the dailies will diminish rapidly I reckon now the holidays are almost over. Interestingly enough, a billion of that 1.6 billion came from overseas versus domestic showings.

Overseas revenue has outstripped domestic (US) revenue for some time now - and that will only increase as areas in Africa, SE Asia and China become more able to afford going to the movies. I would include South Asia in there, but Bollywood rules that particular roost.

yeah nearly 80% of all the Star Wars screenings are in 3d and we have a lot of great old & new theaters in Town. I payed around 13,20 €

oh and the martian was only 3D !

studios push for the vast majority of showings to be in 3d for higher ticket revenues. theatres are at the mercy of the studios (especially disney since they own most of the most profitable franchises at this point).

i saw it in IMAX 3D and it was awesome

Me too.

53c0790b40514.jpg

**shutters**

imax is just a brand that means higher ticket prices. most of the screens installed in the last 10 years have nothing in common with the imax installations of the '90s other than super jacked up ticket prices. they installed a liemax at the theatre i worked at and it really just meant painfully loud speakers and pushing the screen closer to the front row (which they told us was something they had patented)

It's my understanding this is a post-processed 3d movie. I prefer watching 3d movies that have been filmed with 3d cameras.

I think James Cameron is the only director who is still considering filming his stuff in native 3D...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_3D_films

Robert Zemeckis films native 3D but look how well that turned out in The Walk

Omnimax was where it was at, but it was developed by an australian who owned the patents, and you couldn't retrofit existing cinemas with that screen. Shame though, it was actually immersive.

I watched avatar in 3d and it was such a painful experience that I said never again, and that film was designed for 3d. I don't know if anyone remembers but at some point abrams stated that he'd shot the film on the 35mm film. So why would you then want to see the tagged on 3d version.

Actually the article below talks about this better than my tired fat arse mind can. Only one scene was shot for imax and most screens won't deliver the size to justify the expense.

http://www.techradar.com/au/news/home-cinema/high-definition/why-has-star-wars-turned-its-back-on-digital-film--1310861

Guest bitroast

saw the film in 2D.

seeing it again at melbourne imax in 3D next tuesday. would've enjoyed 2D still but i figured, seeing it in 2d + imax 3d would pretty much cover the wide spectrum of ways to see it during its cinema run. watch me give a fuck : )

Guest bitroast

i dont understand how regular tickets are costing $20 if digital prints are making distribution so much easier. going to the movies in general is a scam.

overall, i agree with your comments btw so not sure what the reply is really meaning there : >

I was being dismissive of what my own reply by ridiculing it through self parody. Was easier than actually replying cause I'm a bit over it today, sorry for if you mistook this as a retort, don't want to annoy you, you're one of the good eggs. [-;

I don't mind ticket prices so much (paid 9.50USD for adult tickets for Star Wars), it's the concessions (funny word, that) that are so overpriced - I paid a total of 9.50x3 for tickets = 28.50, but for two large drinks, a bottled water, and a large popcorn, the total was 26.00!

We normally don't buy that stuff, but it was a matinee and we hadn't eaten since breakfast and didn't want to wait until almost 4:00 without eating.

Are concessions similarly overpriced in overseas theatres?

theatres make almost all of their profits on concessions. studios take the lion's share of profits from ticket sales. the longer a theatre holds onto a movie they're share of ticket profits increases but studios are constantly undercutting that by shortening the length between digital/home release or even offering simultaneous digital releases alongside theatrical openings. it's a shame that presentation has become such an afterthought. theatres basically run skeleton crews and nobody really has time to and/or cares for projection/presentation anymore. just upselling candy and pizzas or enrolling in loyalty programs. lines are long, prices are ridiculous, customer service is non existent.

i really enjoy the theatre experience when it's good but it's a diamond in the rough these days. really wondering how long it'll be sustainable in the age of instant gratification and cheap/capable home theatre systems.

I rarely go to the movies - too expensive, plus I prefer to watch movies at home and have a setup good enough to not make me miss the theatre experience that much.

There seems to be a growing trend here in the States for "dining theatres" where you can watch a movie and get a meal (think pub grub) at the same time, with comfortable seats, etc.

I personally have not been to one as I think all the sounds of eating, clinking glasses and plates, and silverware would drive me bonkers. I can't stand hearing people rummage around in their popcorn as it is.

What I think should happen is theatres should offer a discount coupon off the purchase of the movie if you go see it in the cinema within a certain time frame - not only would that possibly combat piracy, but it would make people feel a bit better about paying higher ticket prices if they knew they'd get 5 bucks or something off the eventual digital/physical release.

It used to be you went to the theatre for the experience - big screen, amazing sound system, etc. - now you can get an as good experience at home, and 3D and LieMax aren't cutting it (especially since the former you can get at home now too) anymore.

I think we derailed the thread a bit - I'm planning on going back to see Star Wars again probably this weekend and take my 6 year old nephew - he's a huge Star Wars fan, so I think this will be a wonderful experience for him as it would be his first Star Wars movie in the theatre.

It will also be interesting to watch it again and see what I notice this go around I missed the first time.

Guest unteleportedman
I personally have not been to one as I think all the sounds of eating, clinking glasses and plates, and silverware would drive me bonkers. I can't stand hearing people rummage around in their popcorn as it is.

Lol I've actually smuggled in full subs into movie theaters before. It can be a bit uncomfortable because unwrapping the sub from the paper it's enclosed in can be pretty loud sometimes. That being said, having a sub while watching a movie in a theater is amazing and the ultimate sub experience IMO.

I think we derailed the thread a bit - I'm planning on going back to see Star Wars again probably this weekend and take my 6 year old nephew - he's a huge Star Wars fan, so I think this will be a wonderful experience for him as it would be his first Star Wars movie in the theatre.

Nah, star wars is lame. Please continue the discussion about eating food in movie theaters (star trek will always be better and way more cool anyways)

oh yeah. i always sneak food in. have definitely done subs, take out thai, etc. usually pretty discreet tho.

on topic i didn't eat any food at star wars.

off topic i've also been mostly getting into movies for free for basically the last 10+ years thanks to friends who have worked there (and a brief stint working at one myself). unfortunately, regal has recently changed it's pass policy so that it's much harder for me to get in (i paid $6.xx for a matinee of starwars at amc). apparently the severely limited pass policy is largely due to the bullying of studios (disney). they've totally gimped the one perk of working at a movie theatre.

newae

Lol I've actually smuggled in full subs into movie theaters before. It can be a bit uncomfortable because unwrapping the sub from the paper it's enclosed in can be pretty loud sometimes. That being said, having a sub while watching a movie in a theater is amazing and the ultimate sub experience IMO.

If you did this while I was in the same theatre I'd throw my phone at you, unless you did it BEFORE the trailers/movie.

Archived