IGNORED

Soundcloud will add ads

th555

really we need to be nodes on a freely distributed user maintained web. If you want a sound cloud clip, then 1000 watmmenz would have your back through that mechanism. Problem at the moment here is the end of our proper web backbone that was to be built, we have unlimited upload plans though and for sound clips on limited intrest clips it would be supported especially if it was distributed.

viva tha actual revolution.

really we need to be nodes on a freely distributed user maintained web. If you want a sound cloud clip, then 1000 watmmenz would have your back through that mechanism.

What, like a torrent site specifically geared to unsigned/hobbyist producers? That could be fun - upload torrent of an album or an EP or an individual track, and if it's good it'll (in theory) maintain seeds. Of course like any other indie social media site it could devolve into an echo chamber of empty self-promotion but y'know

Inevitable and shitty, what's next,...bandcamp?

If users get money based on ad revenue then I don't see a downside to this. A great way for independents to make money.

If it is based on traffic than they may keep my 2 cents.

Just read about this, not sure how they'll implement it - placement of ads. If I read correctly they're doing a select few artists first as some kind of beta, and there are differences depending on if you have a paid account or not. Hope you can disable this with a pro account, though if adblock plus disables the ads I can take it.

Getting things for free...complaining about ads...

the whole situation is more nuanced than that, and you should know that.

at the end of the day, one of the main reasons why SoundCloud is so huge now is due to the users. Those who upload there, and those who listen.

No-one likes bait-and-switch, and that's what this is.

If users get money based on ad revenue then I don't see a downside to this. A great way for independents to make money.

Agreed. I never saw the whole fuss about ads. They're annoying from time to time, but on the other hand they're the backbone to the internet as we know it. I'm sure a lot of great content and websites wouldn't exist if they didn't have a way to make money with it.

I just hope the ads will be in a sidebar and not in the player, or perhaps at the end of the clip.

you can always just install adblock

Agreed. I never saw the whole fuss about ads. They're annoying from time to time, but on the other hand they're the backbone to the internet as we know it. I'm sure a lot of great content and websites wouldn't exist if they didn't have a way to make money with it.

I just hope the ads will be in a sidebar and not in the player, or perhaps at the end of the clip.

you can always just install adblock

when i have 4 account pro paid i can say i'm quite bothered

also, i give money to music, with many ways, but certainly not with adverts

and according what i've read, addblock wont be enough to stop these adds.

soundcloud will loose his underground spirit and things are going to be messy

i think it depends of how you use it, but to me it's a boomer

Getting things for free...complaining about ads...

the whole situation is more nuanced than that, and you should know that.

at the end of the day, one of the main reasons why SoundCloud is so huge now is due to the users. Those who upload there, and those who listen.

No-one likes bait-and-switch, and that's what this is.

Sure, but copyright laws as they stand are going to always threaten freedom in regards to music. Soundcloud doesn't really have a choice in the matter. If it can make independents money and keep the service running then I don't have a problem with it.

This sort of thing is an inevitability - social media websites are designed to eventually be monetized, sold to conglomerates, etc, etc - the reason Soundcloud took so long and there was resistance to it from investors is probably just because it's one of the few that aren't American. Just go looking for the next one.

Inevitable maybe, but I think they are doing quite alright without the ads having offices all around the world, I think they'll go with sound ads and embed them in the stream so adblock doesn't work.

It's possible this may be the beginning of the end, but I think people are overreacting.

http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/articles/1659059-what-is-on-soundcloud-

"Premier tier = Premier Partners, currently invite-only

Q: If I'm not a Premier partner, will there be ads on any of my tracks?

A: Ads will not be served on any of your tracks if you are a Free, Pro, or Pro Unlimited user. They are only served on the tracks of Premier partners with their explicit consent."

It's looking like 99.9% of the artists on Soundcloud will be unaffected by this.

It's possible this may be the beginning of the end, but I think people are overreacting.

http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/articles/1659059-what-is-on-soundcloud-

"Premier tier = Premier Partners, currently invite-only

Q: If I'm not a Premier partner, will there be ads on any of my tracks?

A: Ads will not be served on any of your tracks if you are a Free, Pro, or Pro Unlimited user. They are only served on the tracks of Premier partners with their explicit consent."

It's looking like 99.9% of the artists on Soundcloud will be unaffected by this.

LETS FUCKING HOPE SO!

lol someone actually reading the actual statement and schooling the rest of us. Yes i would say that none of us would be affected by the ads, it's just a way of 'premier partners' being able to cross promote the hyundai deal they just signed or whatever.

Archived