IGNORED

Aphex Twin - Melodies from Mars

MassfreeKid

I really don't see rdj remaking an old track. It's more likely just remastering, switching some of the tracks around, picking some previously ignored tracks, perhaps making some new ones, basically trying to turn it into a more proper, solid, release.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest progben

I really don't see rdj remaking an old track.

o i am laffin

toplel

windowlicker? :D

and the rest!

I think it'd be really interesting to hear MfM re-imagined. We got Caustic Window as it was back in the 90's, so hearing an old recording with a new take would be sweet.

I really don't see rdj remaking an old track.

o i am laffin

toplel

windowlicker? :D

and the rest!

I think it'd be really interesting to hear MfM re-imagined. We got Caustic Window as it was back in the 90's, so hearing an old recording with a new take would be sweet.

I second that. :)

melodies from mars is one of his very best works imo, almost up there with SaW2. Hadn't heard it until recently, and was pretty blown away. Very quirky and personal and doesn't seem to have "the listener" in mind (like most of his later works which seem rather self-conscious)

I hope if he does reissue it, he doesn't mess with it in any way. It's a lovely work as is. Minimalism is part of its appeal.

Guest progben

Anyone else of the opinion that MfM will be released as a companion piece to Syro this year (RE that post predicting two aphex albums and clarks)?

Personally I think it'd be a good time to release some 'classic' music to satisfy the fanbase whilst the hype is fresh

Anyone else of the opinion that MfM will be released as a companion piece to Syro this year (RE that post predicting two aphex albums and clarks)?

Personally I think it'd be a good time to release some 'classic' music to satisfy the fanbase whilst the hype is fresh

I'm getting the same vibes! I agree, I feel it coming. And marketing wise, it would be a wise decision. It would create a huge AFX buzz. First Caustic Window LP, then Syro and then MfM, it's like wow, who would have thought... With Joyrex using it as his avatar, it's like his muted way of saying: hey guys, it's coming soon!

Guest jasondonervan

If it is incoming, I strongly believe it won't be packaged with that fancy JR avatar as the cover, Roger Hargreaves' estate might want some pennies if it were!

Perhaps it's all a clever ruse - what if badger pic turns out to be the MFM cover? :fear:

The biggest mystery will be what, if any of the original 8-track EP that was scheduled to be released on Rephlex survives and ends up being released (if it does indeed get released). I have no clue what tracks were on the test pressing vs. the cassette tape that everyone is familiar with.

And for the record, my avatar is just the graphic designer in me having fun - I might do one for Analogue Bubblebath 5, or the Analogue Bubblebath Anthology... (aka ABBA)

If it is incoming, I strongly believe it won't be packaged with that fancy JR avatar as the cover, Roger Hargreaves' estate might want some pennies if it were!

Perhaps it's all a clever ruse - what if badger pic turns out to be the MFM cover? :fear:

Dat Badger tho!

Ah, Melodies From Mars. My very first exposure to Aphex Twin. In fact, I've gotten so used to the quality of the tracks that are out there now, I don't really care for a good quality version that much. I always liked the lo-fi aestetic of it as it is now.

I'd rather have Aphex twin release new, unheard music.

Ah, Melodies From Mars. My very first exposure to Aphex Twin. In fact, I've gotten so used to the quality of the tracks that are out there now, I don't really care for a good quality version that much. I always liked the lo-fi aestetic of it as it is now.

The way he talks about MFM in the recent interviews, it's going to be new, unheard music.

The way he talks about MFM in the recent interviews, it's going to be new, unheard music.

Yeah that's very cool and I'm glad that it seems there's more new aphex twin coming. What I was trying to say that calling it Melodies From Mars would be weird to me because I'm so used to what it is right now. It's sort of already out there and it has a life of it's own.

it'll be released as a super limited edition for the ultimate fanboy, x4LP box containing nasa mineral sample from mars and a print of richard wanking with money around his prick, also a lathe cut of a 40 sec track on a toilet paper roll that can be only played with a wax cylynder phonograph, all for 700$ and a kidney

Archived