IGNORED

Call for tracks!! 432Hz

ascdi

dear electric music makers of the site watmm,

My pal Prince tells me there's an extra-lush new way to tune your music. Specifically, it involves calibrating your phazors to the note A = 432 Hz (as opposed to 440 Hz, which if you think about it WHYY and also isn't this just some bullshit number invented by THE MAN anyway? Yeah, it is)

SO

There's a problem though. Internet is rife with noobs doing amateur-hour conversi0ns and compositions of music with poor mathematical Audacity program filters and weak pitchbend fx for children to adhere to this otherwise sublime idea

IS UNACCEPTABLE

watmms: let us compose a TRUE COMPILATION of music bespokenly designed for all serene aspects of this new mystical pitch schema from the start. Bespoke

YOU & ME: Let's make some tracks; concurrently

THEN YOU: subsequently: Send 'em to me

THEN WE: subsequently: release a compilation to world for most placid water-memory of above tunes

(I tried it. A diet soda next to a small headphone on my desk just grew a boner from the vibrations. THE UNIVERSAL VIBREASTITONS

PROPOSED COMPILATION RULES:

SUBMITTAL DEADLINE: Saturday, November 8th in America

TUNES MUST: be composed for 432 Hz

YOU MAY: co,pose lushest track of your life at A = 440 then pitch down appropriate amount (0.98181818181818181818181818181818181818181818…) for previously inconceivable lush turboboost

OR YOU INSTEAD MAY: create custom scale a/la Colundi or samples directly using tones derived expressly from A = 432 Hz for pure unadulterated tones of lush scientific liquidy harmoniousness

IN EITHER CASE YOU MUST: absolutely include as at least partially a component of your composition some notes which are the note exactly —A— or otherwise the literal frequency 432 Hz in some sense prominently

I WILL CURATE THIS COMPILATION

SEND YOUR TRZKS TO ME

I PUT MY COMPUTER IN A BAG AND AM NOW GETTING INTO A HOT TUB UNTIL THE DEADLINE

I WILL KILL YOU

Water-Memory.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice, this is actually why I called my label 256hz, because in that tuning C = 256 <}=

Hope to contribute!

No shit!! That's awesome. I can't believe I've never heard of this phenomenon until today, tbh. Hopefully a bunch of people are interested in getting either very-slight-pitching-down, or ideally, their quasi-Colundi production chops on.

Nice, this is actually why I called my label 256hz, because in that tuning C = 256 <}=

Hope to contribute!

No shit!! That's awesome. I can't believe I've never heard of this phenomenon until today, tbh. Hopefully a bunch of people are interested in getting either very-slight-pitching-down, or ideally, their quasi-Colundi production chops on.

It's kinda common for some guitars to be tuned at 432Hz. In metal anyway. Which isn't really relevant here.

Nothing against your compilation idea here, I just wanted to chime in that the notion that this has some spiritual or harmonic significance is the dumbest music meme that's come along ever since people said pop music had satanic messages when played backwards. The global tuning has little to no relevance as it's the relative pitch (difference between two notes or frequencies) that provides us with a bearing to respond to - to say that a certain song sounds better in a slightly lower global tuning is simply placebo. Classical concerto music is often tuned to 432hz, but it's also tuned to 415, 440, 444, and 466 as well and nobody's complained. If you really want to make a statement, you should argue that just intonation has more pleasant intervals than equal temperament, since looking in an oscilloscope you can actually see that chords are more harmonius and even in JI, while equal temperament is chaotic by comparison - there's even a theory that this is what has lead to the energetic and stressful development in western pop music.

Anyway, I'm up for it. Let's tune!

i tried to verify the significance of this tuning one day and found only claims that fell apart under scrutiny, like hoodie and chim pointed out. i do like the idea of people using alternate tonalities though, and 432 does sound nice.

chime in […] 432hz […] pleasant intervals […] more harmonius

Exactly. LET'S DO IT

alternate tonalities, […] and 432 does sound nice.

YEEOWCH, MY CHAKRAS

Probably you guys aren't listening to musics with enough A's in them. Make sure you got a nice big chunk of A's in there, that's prob the issue

Nothing against your compilation idea here, I just wanted to chime in that the notion that this has some spiritual or harmonic significance is the dumbest music meme that's come along ever since people said pop music had satanic messages when played backwards. The global tuning has little to no relevance as it's the relative pitch (difference between two notes or frequencies) that provides us with a bearing to respond to - to say that a certain song sounds better in a slightly lower global tuning is simply placebo. Classical concerto music is often tuned to 432hz, but it's also tuned to 415, 440, 444, and 466 as well and nobody's complained. If you really want to make a statement, you should argue that just intonation has more pleasant intervals than equal temperament, since looking in an oscilloscope you can actually see that chords are more harmonius and even in JI, while equal temperament is chaotic by comparison - there's even a theory that this is what has lead to the energetic and stressful development in western pop music.

I hope you didn't buy the colundi sequence then.

"Wilson-Claridge says of their invention: “Instead of dividing the keyboard into octaves with semitones, we have chosen specific frequencies to work around... The scale is 128 resonant frequencies chosen via experimentation and philosophy, each relating to a specific human bio-resonance, or psychology, traditional mysticism or belief, physics, astronomy, maths, chemistry."

I actually did a track or two in REAL 432 hz tuning (pythagorean tuning) which is really weird and notes jump seemingly at random intervals that somehow work out to whole numbers which is interesting to me sorta. Like Hz is arbitrary measurement but somehow EXACTLY WHOLE NUMBERS. But you know I actually had an artistic curiosity about making a synth that fit exactly that tuning and it sounded ok, just different not really better or worse. It might still be on my soundcloud

anyway all the music on youtube tuned to 432 hz is either pussy music or tool. Somebody troll these guys by posting merzbow in 432 hz

"Wilson-Claridge says of their invention: “Instead of dividing the keyboard into octaves with semitones, we have chosen specific frequencies to work around... The scale is 128 resonant frequencies chosen via experimentation and philosophy, each relating to a specific human bio-resonance, or psychology, traditional mysticism or belief, physics, astronomy, maths, chemistry."

the motivation doesn't matter as long as the music is good imo.

the problem lies in telling people specific frequencies will "repair their dna" (as the video posted in the OP suggests); it's pseudoscience and needs to be pointed out. that being said, i'm totally behind artists thinking outside the box and using non-traditional tunings, so this project is pretty cool even though i don't think it'll realign my meridians and rinse out my chakras~

the motivation doesn't matter as long as the music is good imo.

the problem lies in telling people specific frequencies will "repair their dna" (as the video posted in the OP suggests); it's pseudoscience and needs to be pointed out. that being said, i'm totally behind artists thinking outside the box and using non-traditional tunings, so this project is pretty cool even though i don't think it'll realign my meridians and rinse out my chakras~

tbh I didn't view the video... my apologies.

I do think that certain frequencies tend to resonate with different people differently though. There are certain parts in music that for whatever reason give me goosebumps, make my hair standup, and sent chills up my spine. These physiological responses to music and frequencies have been studied over the years.

However, like you've said, dna repairing frequencies? Sounds far fetched to me. lol

Chim, I wouldn't propose any health benefits from these tones, but I do like the way they sound. It's a slightly darker color, and just like fractional BPMs, it matters (to me). There's some nice recordings of Bach on period instruments in this tuning - really made the pieces come alive.

I guess I'm saying that feeling like a note sounds more "right" to you could be a spiritual experience, because that's what music is, right? But I'm probably missing the point of your post, and rambling.

Nice to see this call for track as I've been thinking a lot about this idea of creating custom scales lately. The thing is, I've no idea how you would do that and I was about to write a post here for asking WATMM.

So it came to my understanding that the 128 possible tones of a MIDI note are semi tones (across 9 octaves if I remember well). But how do I tell my MIDI to make intervals which are not semi tones? I guess you can't do that with MIDI right? or you have to transform MIDI data before to send it to a synth? Would there be another way? I'm especially thinking about addressing hardware with those "custom notes", and I've to say I can't figure out how one do this.

Thanks people. I might participate to this comp

Nice to see this call for track as I've been thinking a lot about this idea of creating custom scales lately. The thing is, I've no idea how you would do that and I was about to write a post here for asking WATMM.

So it came to my understanding that the 128 possible tones of a MIDI note are semi tones (across 9 octaves if I remember well). But how do I tell my MIDI to make intervals which are not semi tones? I guess you can't do that with MIDI right? or you have to transform MIDI data before to send it to a synth? Would there be another way? I'm especially thinking about addressing hardware with those "custom notes", and I've to say I can't figure out how one do this.

Thanks people. I might participate to this comp

It’s an interesting question! I bet there are some folks here who have done such a thing before with MIDI. You could probably do it by either carefully detuning a patch and sending it “normal” data, or by carefully sending some amount of pitch-bend along with your note data…?

I was planning on keeping it simple and either creating a few sample-based instruments filled with custom Hz tones, or simply detuning some loops.

IIRC FM7 & 8 have some good options for not only setting Hz’s very precisely, but also playing around with non-equal-tempered scales (or maybe that’s just my TX81Z that I’m thinking of—another reason the TX81Z is supremely underrated).

Archived