IGNORED

Evian Christ signs to Warp

funkaholic

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are you guys even discussing this? Warp went down the shitter with every other record label on the planet as soon as the internet became popular. Discussing side effects of death struggeling is not worth it.

Why are you guys even discussing this?

WATMM is a music (primarily electronic) discussion forum.

Warp is an electronic music record label.

Seems relevant to me.

His other two albums, Frequency Jams and Car Paint Scheme are worth checking out as well.

just checked out Car Paint scheme, goddam its a good album, i love how many kabuki/traditional japanese & Gamelan motifs and samples make appearances. Sometimes i forget there was plenty of non glitchy experimental hiphop happening in the early 00s because most of that stuff gets overshadowed by producers like Prefuse73 (especially for someone who doesn't follow the hip hop scene much at all). Now that the whole off the grid/flying lotus sound is now the standard you don't hear much stuff like Req anymore, at least I don't, maybe theres a lot out there and im just unaware. There is a strong linkage to some of this Req stuff and later period Gescom and Autechre (especially some of the more hiphop structure tracks on Exai)

edit: btw Shackleton eventually started doing physical modeling instead of conga samples because i wouldn't let up about it on watmm

Yes, the evolution of his aesthetic is entirely fueled by people whining on messageboards.

Nozinja Lodge is the only good album Warp have released this year.

At least there's people like Arca and Holly Herndon pushing things in some interesting directions (both in terms of composition and performance). Sophie has a lot of potential too. Also think FKA Twigs is gonna stick around and do good things.

edit: btw Shackleton eventually started doing physical modeling instead of conga samples because i wouldn't let up about it on watmm

Yes, the evolution of his aesthetic is entirely fueled by people whining on messageboards.

i thought it was obvious i was joking. guess not. luckily though he did stop using those stock congas, the last stuff i heard of him sounded good as fuck.

Guest murphythecat8

Let's say hypothetically that Warp did sign something insubstantial and vapid and trend-chasing and that it did make us sad because Warp used to be the vanguard to us. How should we react? What would be the proper way to lodge that complaint without being taken to task for being too "cynical"?

I am actually asking.

its absolutely a good move to sign evian christ. hes been getting better and better. his last album is imo his best effort and I still listen to it today.

I personally dont like much of the warp sound and personnally feel that watmm is retarded with the good idm, but evian christ is absolutely in the top 30 best idm artist.

Let's say hypothetically that Warp did sign something insubstantial and vapid and trend-chasing and that it did make us sad because Warp used to be the vanguard to us. How should we react? What would be the proper way to lodge that complaint without being taken to task for being too "cynical"?

I am actually asking.

but evian christ is absolutely in the top 30 best idm artist.

I know, opinions and all that. But you can't be serious? I think there are 30+ wattmers far better than evian christ.

The fact that 80% of evian christ's songs have the stereotypical mainstream EDM skrillex style drop in them should be reason enough to dislike it.

Him producing on yeezus for that piece of garbage counterculture twat kanye is just another reason lol.

Edit: it just all sounds so bland and generic it's embarrassing. You could put Rustie, Hudmo, Evian Christ all on one disc and I honestly wouldn't be able to tell the tracks apart.

Guest murphythecat8

I am actually asking.

I know, opinions and all that. But you can't be serious? I think there are 30+ wattmers far better than evian christ.

The fact that 80% of evian christ's songs have the stereotypical mainstream EDM skrillex style drop in them should be reason enough to dislike it.

Him producing on yeezus for that piece of garbage counterculture twat kanye is just another reason lol.

Edit: it just all sounds so bland and generic it's embarrassing. You could put Rustie, Hudmo, Evian Christ all on one disc and I honestly wouldn't be able to tell the tracks apart.

im a retard today. thats what happens when Ive been smoking to much weed for months!

I thought we were talking about Christ.

not Evian christ.

yet again, warp is failling. but they have been failing for years now.

I am actually asking.

im a retard today. thats what happens when Ive been smoking to much weed for months!

I thought we were talking about Christ.

not Evian christ.

yet again, warp is failling. but they have been failing for years now.

Flolol! I was wondering what was going on in your head haha

Epic :facepalm: + :emotawesomepm9:

Guest Barung

watmm would have been a better place if everyone wore versace shirts and listened to gucci mane

Archived