IGNORED

Evian Christ signs to Warp

funkaholic

Do you work at warp deer, are you the one that signed ec? So many attempts to get us to disengage, you should know by now it only makes us stronger, more voracious. If you just left it alone the thread would sink like a stone once we're done chewing on our bone.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

# of posts on this thread

delet... 16

Deer 4

-----

:cerious:

everybody on this thread has an agenda, i wanted mine to be heard because i been thinking about this thread all day and my conclusion is that the level of elitism in this thread is equal to the one found in your run-of-the-mill english football pub

it's not just you, it's all the "don't be so mean, you're all a bunch of old cocks, you guys only listen to one type of music and aren't cool". etc comments whose one goal is to shame people from talking about this. heh. you're just one of the many i was speaking to through my post.

/love dleetr.

for any further thoughts of mine on this refer to the ascdi comment above, he put it more carefully than i did. you're right though, i've posted too much in this thread.

I like how this thread (and in extension the guy's music) is getting more attention than your average release in the New Releases sub. WATMM!

Warp signing !!! way back didn't stop you from getting Exai, Tomorrow's Harvest, Syro, and that new SP I haven't heard yet. I'm sure you'll survive a bit of Evian Christ and Hudson Mohawke too. ez pz, don't cry.

I like how this thread (and in extension the guy's music) is getting more attention than your average release in the New Releases sub. WATMM!

Warp signing !!! way back didn't stop you from getting Exai, Tomorrow's Harvest, Syro, and that new SP I haven't heard yet. I'm sure you'll survive a bit of Evian Christ and Hudson Mohawke too. ez pz, don't cry.

Haha, !!!.

Obviously Warp is gonna keep releasing releases from their most popular artists. But what does that prove?

I started to think about the opposite idea: what are some of the interesting electronic artists who’ve briefly been on Warp and no longer are? Luke Vibert (far as I know), Sote, Chok Rock, Home Video (this EP doesn’t quite hold up, but it’s not bad), the Arcola series, Brothomstates, even Jimmy Edgar? I wonder if we’d see more releases from these (imo interesting) artists if different decisions were being made over there.

EDIT: I forgot Milanese and Tim Exile!

Both were planet mu signings that were licensed to warp for a wider distribution, if that makes any sense.

They were technically planet mu releases.

To Ascdi:

Complain by sending Warp better music.

Anyone here remember on the old Planet Mu board when shitmat (iirc...) was being insulting in a thread, then actually got signed in that thread? That's seriously how you complain properly. "Fuck you. This is how you do it."

To paranerd:

Much love~

Let's say hypothetically that Warp did sign something insubstantial and vapid and trend-chasing and that it did make us sad because Warp used to be the vanguard to us. How should we react? What would be the proper way to lodge that complaint without being taken to task for being too "cynical"?

I am actually asking.

We don't need to like everything Warp releases. Warp isn't the same Warp from the early 90s and it probably never will be again other than releasing more from their original signings once in a while. There are plenty of other labels and artists who are happy to release that style of electronic music. Being heartbroken by Future Brown, HudMo, and Evian Christ just means that Warp was never really your musical girlfriend/boyfriend. Plenty of other fish in the sea.

I understand the point everyone is trying to make here, but this is a music messageboard. That was what I was trying to say in my last post. So it is not at all incorrect or bad form to criticize music one doesnt like on a music messageboard!

Its not about my feelings about Warp or anything, and its certainly NOTHING to do with jealousy, LOL. How labels evolve and rise and fall is an interesting discussion. Whether or not a musical artist with a trendy exterior has any any substance to him or her is an interesting discussion. Having interesting musical discussions is quite literally the purpose of this web site.

So everyone biking into this thread to talk about how we should just let other people live their lives, maaaaaan, chill out. We get it. But if you are a public figure or seminal record label and you do things like put commercial products out into the world, people are going to talk about them, and some people are not going to like them. Thats the whole deal and how everything has worked since forever. So actually, everything in this thread is exactly as it should be and no one needs to be ashamed for having negative opinions. That is how music and art and being a human being works.

The Shitmat thread was on the old Planet Mu board and I dont think that is backed up anywhere unfortunately. It was pretty funny. IIRC Shitmat made a thread asking Mike if he got his demo. A bunch of people jumped up saying, PFF MIKE IS BUSY LAMER READ THE RULES BLAH BLAH, then Mike popped into the thread and said something like, yep, I got it! Its pretty good, only that one track with all the screaming [cant remember the details here, I think it was basically that one of the tracks was a little over the top] was a little much though, and then suddenly everyone was nice to Shitmat again. And then a bunch of Shitmat albums came out.

Good points, and good memory! Yah, IIRC, Mike P said the track with the bagpipes was a bit much.

Both were planet mu signings that were licensed to warp for a wider distribution, if that makes any sense.

Pretty sure Milanese released on Warp first, then moved to Mu, yes?

And that’s not really my point—my point is, why were there no follow-on Warp releases from these artists.

Req is another one that occurred to me. Some of the Req stuff was great.

I wonder what sort of numbers they consider reasonable before asking for another release now compared to when they were first starting out and signing all these killer acts. Maybe they could keep that in mind, the whole letting people grow thing. ahh god why did i come back to this thread, don't get sucked in dleeta.

And that’s not really my point—my point is, why were there no follow-on Warp releases from these artists.

I suppose you're right, I forgot about Milanese' release 1up sorry. All his albums were pmu though. Might be some sort of contractual thing there.

As for Tim Exile, Listening Tree did not get very good critical response so that may be a big part of it. I personally think that album is great.

I've not heard of req, will check him out.

...I started to think about the opposite idea: what are some of the interesting electronic artists who’ve briefly been on Warp and no longer are? Luke Vibert (far as I know), Sote, Chok Rock, Home Video (this EP doesn’t quite hold up, but it’s not bad), the Arcola series, Brothomstates, even Jimmy Edgar? I wonder if we’d see more releases from these (imo interesting) artists if different decisions were being made over there.

Also Max Tundra! I've wondered for a long time why he only released the one EP on Warp and then went to Domino for the rest.

Guest skibby

sales are a direct reflection on marketing.

i don't think sales have as much to do with the personal trips that the talent pickers are on as to who flies and who walks.

but i don't know what i do think.

I suppose you're right, I forgot about Milanese' release 1up sorry. All his albums were pmu though. Might be some sort of contractual thing there.

As for Tim Exile, Listening Tree did not get very good critical response so that may be a big part of it. I personally think that album is great.

I also really love Listening Tree! Amazingly cool album.

Never really heard anything like Listening Tree before but it's one of those gems I dig out once in a blue moon - absolutely love Family Galaxy on that. Do check out some of his live shows, they're good fun and he loves to jam (Bloc 2007 has him wearing a strap-on and some smashed dude coming on stage who tinkers with his computer)

What the heck is Exile up to these days anyway? I'm sure I saw him credited as mastering or production or something on a recent-ish album.

What the heck is Exile up to these days anyway? I'm sure I saw him credited as mastering or production or something on a recent-ish album.

Programming and designing for Native Instruments I do believe.

Programming and designing for Native Instruments I do believe.

Yep found the CD I remember reading his name on, credited on Jon Hopkins' Immunity for Reaktor programming.

Yeah, Exile got hired by NI as an instrument developer. He's designed a few plug-ins and instruments for them. The Finger looks interesting.

this one too:

Milanese's 12" on Arcola was fucking superb. Proper dancefloor stormer.

Tss. Stephen, Req had an album out on warp around 2006, good shit, very minimal, a bit like Burningn Tree. I'm quite ashamed the way i've forgotten about these beats, i was planning videos around them, infact i made a vid for my mates band and dubbed Req on it and they were gonna kill me. I'll upload.

The Req album (I believe it is called “One”) from before he signed to Warp is superb as well. “Like a hip hop SAWII” said the blurb, which is somewhat apt.

never heard of this :

its actually really good, but i could imagine it would have been a pretty hard act to follow putting something on Warp in 2002 following Go Plastic, Drukqs and Confield.

this one has no beats, kind of gamelany /weirdo

Archived