IGNORED

Evian Christ signs to Warp

funkaholic

Watmm hates on anything that gets signed to Warp that doesn't sound exactly like anything released in the early 2000s and goes brziujzzkkttthstt zz *amen break and plinky plonky melody* zbllkkkkkkktthhatt.

Just the way watmm is.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest skibby

edit2: trap is absolute shite (still stand by that)

fuuuck trap

but this christ guy isn't doing it for us, he's doing it for financial freedom

Let's say hypothetically that Warp did sign something insubstantial and vapid and trend-chasing and that it did make us sad because Warp used to be the vanguard to us. How should we react? What would be the proper way to lodge that complaint without being taken to task for being too "cynical"?

I am actually asking.

/critiques conan's speech about his 'working really hard and things will happen'. yeah, keep flipping those burgers with extra relish kids, things will happen, the manager will notice, maybe you'll get a raise (of your arm whilst you flip yet another burger). He was just having a cry cry cause his thing didn't work on a wider demo, so those knocking him were labelled 'cynics'. It didn't work out, you went somewhere else and that worked out with the smaller audience you took with you, it's all cool, but never call a sceptic a cynic, I hate that, it's one of the things in life i can't stand, uber positive people using their success as a way to bludgeon anyone with a point of view that in anyway impedes on their perfect little cheery lifestate. It's cool conan, you won the lottery and got and kept a talk show, wicked, the second one din work out, ahh well, whatever, and i've seen your show, it involves a lot of irreverent tea bagging of other people's perfect little flower gardens with that snarky laugh immelodiously bopping along to it, so yep.

/has nothing against conan, but you know, schmack down placement when given low hanging piñata fruit. Clearly Conan's state of mind at that particular juncture in his life was not the most together, so quoting his statements from that period will not leave you with the most convincing point or counterpunch.

Wtf... I didn't watch the vid now, but I watched it before and others... Point is, he- and many other comedians who've worked their way up the latter- worked their asses off to get where they are. He's not talking about working hard pointlessly-- he means working hard with direction. And much like making choonz, it's about following your dreams and putting hard work in the direction you most desire. In either case, despite seemingly being about having fun, the only way to "get there" is hard work. It's the difference between being able to bust out tons of almost-finished tracks and actually completing full albums. Other comedians have stated the same-- writing standup, film scripts, shooting self-financed TV pilots, etc.-- it all takes a mad amount of work, and it is the main difference between successful comedians and some random dude who is funny but can't live off of it. It's the main difference between prolific basement musicians, and prolific basement musicians who people have heard of.

Before he wrote for The Simpsons or Saturday Night Live, he was in university and used to post caricatures of himself around campus, telling people that it was advertisement for a show he'd one day host. He was that "delusional" and that confident, that he put all his effort into following his one dream. And after years of hard work, he fucking made it. There are tons of skilled people on Earth, but skill without direction or discipline is basically worthless- it results in nothing being accomplished. That is what he was talking about.

His anti-cynicism views are essentially anti-negativity views. Because cynicism gets to a point of being cynical of one's own abilities, which is ultimately finding comfort in lack of confidence, as opposed to living in strength by letting go and naively giving it all.

So the main point is that it's important that we believe in ourselves, for without that belief, we cannot work hard to make things happen. Cynicism often supports the idea that our efforts are worthless, and that just isn't true.

Thank you, peace.

To Ascdi:

Complain by sending Warp better music.

Anyone here remember on the old Planet Mu board when shitmat (iirc...) was being insulting in a thread, then actually got signed in that thread? That's seriously how you complain properly. "Fuck you. This is how you do it."

To paranerd:

Much love~

Let's say hypothetically that Warp did sign something insubstantial and vapid and trend-chasing and that it did make us sad because Warp used to be the vanguard to us. How should we react? What would be the proper way to lodge that complaint without being taken to task for being too "cynical"?

I am actually asking.

We don't need to like everything Warp releases. Warp isn't the same Warp from the early 90s and it probably never will be again other than releasing more from their original signings once in a while. There are plenty of other labels and artists who are happy to release that style of electronic music. Being heartbroken by Future Brown, HudMo, and Evian Christ just means that Warp was never really your musical girlfriend/boyfriend. Plenty of other fish in the sea.

i've been doing it for a lot longer than 15 years ;)

take the things I say with a grain of salt. Most of the time there is very little weight behind the mean spirited shit i spew regularly on

this forum.

yep, i think that people are reading the posts too defensively, cause their sacred cow, or skrillex or conan or whatever is getting crapped on, so therefore read the posts with too much weight in the anti, which explains the over the top preaching back at us.

;-p @ everyone

Also, you cannot deny peace, that connan has been 'snarky' and used the comedic device to put other people or things down whilst doing that laugh at them. So therefore the video is hypocritical and everything you said does nothing to counter what i said, which addressed very specifically the fact that the video posted, whether you enjoy the sentiment or not, was very hypocritical. ie: nothing to see here, and refer to my first sentence in this post.

I am actually asking.

We're not allow to have that opinion and will be abused by bleeding hearts using every emotional battering ram or youtub video in the book.

To Ascdi:

Anyone here remember on the old Planet Mu board when shitmat (iirc...) was being insulting in a thread, then actually got signed in that thread? That's seriously how you complain properly. "Fuck you. This is how you do it."

To paranerd:

Much love~

Whoah somebody find that thread pls, I need to read that

Guest skibby

because clearly evian christ is a better more anticpated artist and anyone who says different is deluded. pheh.

burglar is already too established i guess.

because clearly evian christ is a better more anticpated artist and anyone who says different is deluded. pheh.

Have they even heard his music skibby, one wonders. He's clearly one of the withit producers of the moment who is still getting better, you'd think they'd be clambering to get him into the ears of a wider audience. It's more to do with the fact that these people don't have a very good musical sense and so don't really trust their judgement beyond what is already established as flavour of the month. It doesn't matter anyway, as long as there's a bandcamp, it's just a shame though cause being on warp would really force the press to take notice of the burgles.

Guest skibby

Have they even heard his music skibby, one wonders. He's clearly one of the withit producers of the moment who is still getting better, you'd think they'd be clambering to get him into the ears of a wider audience. It's more to do with the fact that these people don't have a very good musical sense and so don't really trust their judgement beyond what is already established as flavour of the month. It doesn't matter anyway, as long as there's a bandcamp, it's just a shame though cause being on warp would really force the press to take notice of the burgles.

who's the burgles? if he or she is anywhere near as good as the burglar i want a link pls!

who's the burgles? if he or she is anywhere near as good as the burglar i want a link pls!

lol, you no like my cute version of his username. I did wonder at it myself, but thought it so silly that it was worth it just for the lol of it all.

Guest skibby

like i said originally, clearly Warp had their sights set on Arca before they got signed to Mute, Christ is the music industry equivalent of scraps at the dinner table.

cmon is that any way to treat a new family member?

if he spends some time in EKT we can turn him around

To Ascdi:

To paranerd:

Much love~

I am actually asking.

We don't need to like everything Warp releases. Warp isn't the same Warp from the early 90s and it probably never will be again other than releasing more from their original signings once in a while. There are plenty of other labels and artists who are happy to release that style of electronic music. Being heartbroken by Future Brown, HudMo, and Evian Christ just means that Warp was never really your musical girlfriend/boyfriend. Plenty of other fish in the sea.

I understand the point everyone is trying to make here, but this is a music messageboard. That was what I was trying to say in my last post. So… it is not at all “incorrect” or “bad form” to criticize music one doesn’t like on a music messageboard!

It’s not about my feelings about Warp or anything, and it’s certainly NOTHING to do with “jealousy”, LOL. How labels evolve and rise and fall is an interesting discussion. Whether or not a musical artist with a trendy exterior has any any substance to him or her is an interesting discussion. Having interesting musical discussions is quite literally the purpose of this web site.

So everyone biking into this thread to talk about how we should just let other people live their lives, maaaaaan, chill out. We get it. But if you are a public figure or seminal record label and you do things like put commercial products out into the world, people are going to talk about them, and some people are not going to like them. That’s the whole deal and how everything has worked since forever. So actually, everything in this thread is exactly as it should be and no one needs to be ashamed for having negative opinions. That is how music and art and being a human being works.

The Shitmat thread was on the old Planet Mu board and I don’t think that is backed up anywhere unfortunately. It was pretty funny. IIRC Shitmat made a thread asking Mike if he got his demo. A bunch of people jumped up saying, PFF MIKE IS BUSY LAMER READ THE RULES BLAH BLAH, then Mike popped into the thread and said something like, “yep, I got it! It’s pretty good, only that one track with all the screaming [can’t remember the details here, I think it was basically that one of the tracks was a little ‘over the top’] was a little much though”, and then suddenly everyone was nice to Shitmat again. And then a bunch of Shitmat albums came out.

Guest skibby

its normal and human to do and say just about anything these days, including that which is not implied by this sentence.

To Ascdi:

To paranerd:

Much love~

I am actually asking.

I understand the point everyone is trying to make here, but this is a music messageboard. That was what I was trying to say in my last post. So it is not at all incorrect or bad form to criticize music one doesnt like on a music messageboard!

Its not about my feelings about Warp or anything, and its certainly NOTHING to do with jealousy, LOL. How labels evolve and rise and fall is an interesting discussion. Whether or not a musical artist with a trendy exterior has any any substance to him or her is an interesting discussion. Having interesting musical discussions is quite literally the purpose of this web site.

So everyone biking into this thread to talk about how we should just let other people live their lives, maaaaaan, chill out. We get it. But if you are a public figure or seminal record label and you do things like put commercial products out into the world, people are going to talk about them, and some people are not going to like them. Thats the whole deal and how everything has worked since forever. So actually, everything in this thread is exactly as it should be and no one needs to be ashamed for having negative opinions. That is how music and art and being a human being works.

The Shitmat thread was on the old Planet Mu board and I dont think that is backed up anywhere unfortunately. It was pretty funny. IIRC Shitmat made a thread asking Mike if he got his demo. A bunch of people jumped up saying, PFF MIKE IS BUSY LAMER READ THE RULES BLAH BLAH, then Mike popped into the thread and said something like, yep, I got it! Its pretty good, only that one track with all the screaming [cant remember the details here, I think it was basically that one of the tracks was a little over the top] was a little much though, and then suddenly everyone was nice to Shitmat again. And then a bunch of Shitmat albums came out.

this

If you get mad about Warp signing artists you dont like, you are no better than the average sport fanatic. Its a weird fanboy "us vs them" very creepy mentality.

Newcastle-fans-001.jpg

Guest skibby

If you get mad about Warp signing artists you dont like, you are no better than your average sport fanatic. Its a weird fanboy "us vs them" very creepy mentality.

i appreciate that, but with all due respect what you just said comes off as a trifle fallacious.

maybe but i listen to a lot of football phone-ins and to me some of the posts here are the same fucking thing to random fat guy from liverpool crying about how his team lost or some shit like that.

Archived