IGNORED

Evian Christ signs to Warp

funkaholic

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't mind some of the first EP but it wasn't anything exceptional and I got over it pretty quickly. Waterfall was absolute shit though... I'm really surprised he's signed to Warp considering his Triangle output is fairly medicore and he;s not even a highlight of that label. However, the Duga-3 project he did was pretty damn cool and unlike the rest of the stuff he had on Triangle, if he's dropping the broken UK Garage sound and trappy bullshit and going more for this experimental/ambient stuff it could be interesting to see his future output.

The Duga-3 track was my first exposure to Christ and I really loved it... I quite like the mix he did for RA too. This was a little before his Waterfall EP dropped which I was really underwhelmed by and I just sort of lost interest.

I don't hate the dude but it's just not my music. I would say that Warp seems to be following trends, now, rather than making them.

I think it's obvious you trendy sheep are all just hating on Rustie & Hudmo so a bunch of messageboard users will think you're cool, not because their music is shit.

If it's all about suspecting motivations, why are you taking this anti-position ? Are you being dryly ironic to impress a girl you like ? Do you adore these artists, did they change your world, make you smile or dance everytime you hear one of their songs (that CN track from 02:10 in on the melbourne deepcast is putting a very warm deep glowing smile on my face, is this happening with over 20% of the rustie or hudmo material ? How about over 40%, what is their hitrate with you ? 90%, how does this hitrate and or lack of illustrate the validity of their having been 'elovated' to warp artist status).

I like what peace said though, warp A&R probably genuinely like this stuff, it's just that they have a lackluster musical sense so are doomed to displease their betters and the broader market by being unable to mine the seams with the real gold in it. They fail at musical geology. Their hitrate does not contain hits.

heeh (sorry kids, i'm sure you're very nice, but yuenoe, this is the internets/sparta/mad max 4).

I think it's obvious you trendy sheep are all just hating on Rustie & Hudmo so a bunch of messageboard users will think you're cool, not because their music is shit.

If it's all about suspecting motivations, why are you taking this anti-position ? Are you being dryly ironic to impress a girl you like ? Do you adore these artists, did they change your world, make you smile or dance everytime you hear one of their songs (that CN track from 02:10 in on the melbourne deepcast is putting a very warm deep glowing smile on my face, is this happening with over 20% of the rustie or hudmo material ? How about over 40%, what is their hitrate with you ? 90%, how does this hitrate and or lack of illustrate the validity of their having been 'elovated' to warp artist status).

I like what peace said though, warp A&R probably genuinely like this stuff, it's just that they have a lackluster musical sense so are doomed to displease their betters and the broader market by being unable to mine the seams with the real gold in it. They fail at musical geology. Their hitrate does not contain hits.

heeh (sorry kids, i'm sure you're very nice, but yuenoe, this is the internets/sparta/mad max 4).

delet, is there a reason you're pursuing this line of questioning? Is it that you're trying to draw attention away from the fact that you're secretly a white supremacist? Hmmm, seems mighty suspicious to me...

delet, is there a reason you're pursuing this line of questioning? Is it that you're trying to draw attention away from the fact that you're secretly a white supremacist? Hmmm, seems mighty suspicious to me...

lol, i think.

white pow.... oh wait. heh.

they should sign artists like

Holly Herndon, MNLTH, Fuck Buttons, Dalhous, Ben Frost or an completly unknown person

with OPN they made a great decision and look what awesome stuff we got

Holly Herndon, MNLTH, Fuck Buttons, Dalhous, Ben Frost or an completly unknown person

I'd love to see Dalhous get signed to Warp, those guys are very underrated.

I love all you guys seriously, but I think a lot of WATMMers would benefit from taking these words to heart: https://youtu.be/QEF_7ROoNeo?t=59s

I wouldn't quite apply it to this thread personally, but yes, this is something the whole forum could take to heart. For me it's usually the film threads, I'll be smitten with a show or movie, want to see who else oves it, then start skimming a thread on watmm and then I'm all like

wsod.gif

/critiques conan's speech about his 'working really hard and things will happen'. yeah, keep flipping those burgers with extra relish kids, things will happen, the manager will notice, maybe you'll get a raise (of your arm whilst you flip yet another burger). He was just having a cry cry cause his thing didn't work on a wider demo, so those knocking him were labelled 'cynics'. It didn't work out, you went somewhere else and that worked out with the smaller audience you took with you, it's all cool, but never call a sceptic a cynic, I hate that, it's one of the things in life i can't stand, uber positive people using their success as a way to bludgeon anyone with a point of view that in anyway impedes on their perfect little cheery lifestate. It's cool conan, you won the lottery and got and kept a talk show, wicked, the second one din work out, ahh well, whatever, and i've seen your show, it involves a lot of irreverent tea bagging of other people's perfect little flower gardens with that snarky laugh immelodiously bopping along to it, so yep.

/has nothing against conan, but you know, schmack down placement when given low hanging piñata fruit. Clearly Conan's state of mind at that particular juncture in his life was not the most together, so quoting his statements from that period will not leave you with the most convincing point or counterpunch.

I'd love to see Dalhous get signed to Warp, those guys are very underrated.

I love Rustie and HudMo is still cool in my eyes altho I haven't listened to Lantern yet. How can yall hate someone who created jams like this?

I love all you guys seriously, but I think a lot of WATMMers would benefit from taking these words to heart: https://youtu.be/QEF_7ROoNeo?t=59s

I wouldn't quite apply it to this thread personally, but yes, this is something the whole forum could take to heart. For me it's usually the film threads, I'll be smitten with a show or movie, want to see who else oves it, then start skimming a thread on watmm and then I'm all like

wsod.gif

lol @ that gif

/critiques conan's speech about his 'working really hard and things will happen'. yeah, keep flipping those burgers with extra relish kids, things will happen, the manager will notice, maybe you'll get a raise (of your arm whilst you flip yet another burger). He was just having a cry cry cause his thing didn't work on a wider demo, so those knocking him were labelled 'cynics'. It didn't work out, you went somewhere else and that worked out with the smaller audience you took with you, it's all cool, but never call a sceptic a cynic, I hate that, it's one of the things in life i can't stand, uber positive people using their success as a way to bludgeon anyone with a point of view that in anyway impedes on their perfect little cheery lifestate. It's cool conan, you won the lottery and got and kept a talk show, wicked, the second one din work out, ahh well, whatever, and i've seen your show, it involves a lot of irreverent tea bagging of other people's perfect little flower gardens with that snarky laugh immelodiously bopping along to it, so yep.

/has nothing against conan, but you know, schmack down placement when given low hanging piñata fruit. Clearly Conan's state of mind at that particular juncture in his life was not the most together, so quoting his statements from that period will not leave you with the most convincing point or counterpunch.

Wtf... I didn't watch the vid now, but I watched it before and others... Point is, he- and many other comedians who've worked their way up the latter- worked their asses off to get where they are. He's not talking about working hard pointlessly-- he means working hard with direction. And much like making choonz, it's about following your dreams and putting hard work in the direction you most desire. In either case, despite seemingly being about having fun, the only way to "get there" is hard work. It's the difference between being able to bust out tons of almost-finished tracks and actually completing full albums. Other comedians have stated the same-- writing standup, film scripts, shooting self-financed TV pilots, etc.-- it all takes a mad amount of work, and it is the main difference between successful comedians and some random dude who is funny but can't live off of it. It's the main difference between prolific basement musicians, and prolific basement musicians who people have heard of.

Before he wrote for The Simpsons or Saturday Night Live, he was in university and used to post caricatures of himself around campus, telling people that it was advertisement for a show he'd one day host. He was that "delusional" and that confident, that he put all his effort into following his one dream. And after years of hard work, he fucking made it. There are tons of skilled people on Earth, but skill without direction or discipline is basically worthless- it results in nothing being accomplished. That is what he was talking about.

His anti-cynicism views are essentially anti-negativity views. Because cynicism gets to a point of being cynical of one's own abilities, which is ultimately finding comfort in lack of confidence, as opposed to living in strength by letting go and naively giving it all.

So the main point is that it's important that we believe in ourselves, for without that belief, we cannot work hard to make things happen. Cynicism often supports the idea that our efforts are worthless, and that just isn't true.

Didn’t read you guys’ massive posts, but I just wanted to say, my opinion of some musicians (not sure about EC because I haven’t heard it) is that they are the ones being cynical—callously exploiting flavor-of-the-moment musical styles to gain popularity is an extremely cynical thing to do, in my opinion.

I’m not saying that’s what’s happening here or not, but just wanted to make the point that “don’t be cynical” cuts both ways. The musician also has an obligation to work in good faith.

Wtf... I didn't watch the vid now, but I watched it before and others... Point is, he- and many other comedians who've worked their way up the latter- worked their asses off to get where they are. He's not talking about working hard pointlessly-- he means working hard with direction. And much like making choonz, it's about following your dreams and putting hard work in the direction you most desire. In either case, despite seemingly being about having fun, the only way to "get there" is hard work. It's the difference between being able to bust out tons of almost-finished tracks and actually completing full albums. Other comedians have stated the same-- writing standup, film scripts, shooting self-financed TV pilots, etc.-- it all takes a mad amount of work, and it is the main difference between successful comedians and some random dude who is funny but can't live off of it. It's the main difference between prolific basement musicians, and prolific basement musicians who people have heard of.

Before he wrote for The Simpsons or Saturday Night Live, he was in university and used to post caricatures of himself around campus, telling people that it was advertisement for a show he'd one day host. He was that "delusional" and that confident, that he put all his effort into following his one dream. And after years of hard work, he fucking made it. There are tons of skilled people on Earth, but skill without direction or discipline is basically worthless- it results in nothing being accomplished. That is what he was talking about.

His anti-cynicism views are essentially anti-negativity views. Because cynicism gets to a point of being cynical of one's own abilities, which is ultimately finding comfort in lack of confidence, as opposed to living in strength by letting go and naively giving it all.

So the main point is that it's important that we believe in ourselves, for without that belief, we cannot work hard to make things happen. Cynicism often supports the idea that our efforts are worthless, and that just isn't true.

My point was that conan was not is his normal state of mind and feeling accusatory against detractors of his show. And secondly that he himself is a cynical dude as much as anyone when he wants to be. Paying shit out contains cynicism peace, it's in the comedy toolbox, and he has used it as much as anyone out there So to then have a cry when other people do it to you, well .... . So everything you said in defence of conan's point makes no sense in the context of my post.

heh.

And yes, bandwagon jumping cause it's more likely to get you noticed, not because it's what you're naturally inclined to do could be seen as a cynical business decision.

I think by cynicism, Conan meant having a defeatist attitude, or even jealousy over someone else's success when you should be focusing on working hard yourself. Doing that and having a bit of personal integrity go along way. That's all.

I think by cynicism, Conan meant having a defeatist attitude, or even jealousy over someone else's success when you should be focusing on working hard yourself. Doing that and having a bit of personal integrity go along way. That's all.

Yes.

It's really not all that terrible, and Warp needs something to cover the health goth segment.

Archived