IGNORED

[Star Trek: Discovery] New Star Trek Series 2017

Nebraska

I like the unis too. Like Enterprise + The Cage. Which makes perfect sense if this is set in the Prime timeline (as has been alleged).

Trek dialogue has always been pretty stilted, even at its best.

Also even DS9 took 18 episodes before it had a home run, as much as I love Emissary it's not a great pilot.

Basically what I'm saying is if Trek is back on TV I'm there. Oh well~

just curious: how many people (in the united states) are going to be paying cbs all access to watch this? i already know i won't 

just from the presentation it's obvious this is for people that came into trek from the jj abrams films not long-term trek fans

Edited by Nebraska

@doublename: i don't think so. i read the online subscription service is different from the tv/cable subscription because it mainly offers original content and some newly aired cbs shows. 

i know for people in europe, they will be able to watch star trek discovery the next day after it airs on netflix, but not in north america.

Edited by Nebraska

• 1 month later...

Yeah, CBS is really shooting themselves (and the potential success of this series) in the foot if they think the majority of folks will cough up a subscription for essentially one show - this isn't Star Wars, FFS.

It will get the crap pirated out of it, and when CBS sees the low viewing figures from their streaming service, they'll cite that as the reason to not do another season or even the second half (apparently we're only getting episodes 1-8, with the remaining 7 sometime next year).

• 2 weeks later...

i read an article yesterday where they were trying to drum up some hype by claiming this series will do something that roddenberry never allowed by making some of the starfleet officers not always morally correct. they gave an example that in VOY, kathryn janeway insisted on being called ma'am (another thing that roddenberry insisted should never happen and that all captains should be addressed as "sir" regardless of gender).

actually, in episode 1 of season 1 of VOY, harry kim calls janeway "ma'am" then "sir" to which she replies "i prefer to be called captain"

https://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2017/06/new-star-trek-series-will-abandon-gene-roddenberrys-cardinal-rule/

I'm going to assume that they're going full BSG/HBO drama style bullshit with this series. It's going to be so fucking bad.

Also, one of the rules that was almost immediately ignored after his death was to never have character driven story arcs...

https://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2017/06/new-star-trek-series-will-abandon-gene-roddenberrys-cardinal-rule/

I'm going to assume that they're going full BSG/HBO drama style bullshit with this series. It's going to be so fucking bad.

Also, one of the rules that was almost immediately ignored after his death was to never have character driven story arcs...

well, i can see them killing that idea because in all honesty, roddenberry wasn't the greatest storyteller. if it wasn't for theodore sturgen, harlan ellison, norman spinrad and dc fontana (all of whom he edited anyway) most of star trek would be pretty cliched and cheesy with it's optimism about the future. those writers contributed to all the rich mythos and character development that made it more believable whereas roddenberry set it in stone that all character disputes had to be resolved by the end of each episode.

as an example: roddenberry created the ferengi whereas coon created the klingon. that should tell you enough

well, i can see them killing that idea because in all honesty, roddenberry wasn't the greatest storyteller. if it wasn't for theodore sturgen, harlan ellison, norman spinrad and dc fontana (all of whom he edited anyway) most of star trek would be pretty cliched and cheesy with it's optimism about the future. those writers contributed to all the rich mythos and character development that made it more believable whereas roddenberry set it in stone that all character disputes had to be resolved by the end of each episode.

as an example: roddenberry created the ferengi whereas coon created the klingon. that should tell you enough

Both of those species are pretty one dimensional. I'm really confused as to how Klingons have space flight with all of the in-fighting. Where the hell are the scientists and engineers that built their ships?

I'm going back through TNG right now and just rewatched the episodes with Picard and the Borg. It's interesting to watch the strong shift in tone and the way the episodes are shot between seasons 3 and 4. They also have much more character development compared to previous episodes and the original series. This was around the time that Gene Roddenberry died.

• 4 weeks later...

This looks like the most generic sci-fi action show imaginable. Like an early-2000s sci-fi channel original series.

Edited by doublename

This looks like the most generic sci-fi action show imaginable. Like an early-2000s sci-fi channel original series.

sold. please make me not think.