IGNORED

Deftones - Gore

Bechuga

Quite a strong soft-rock vibe off of this record.

Vinyl sounds nice.

i don't think i'd call it "soft-rock" but i think it makes a nice A/B with the angrier sound of Koi No Yokan, it's definitely warmer and more mellow (with the exception of the title track... that shit is H E A V Y!)

Only had one listen so far but sounding v nice! Understand what you mean with the soft rock though.. the solo on the 2nd to last track really surprised me

Vinyl sounds nice.

i don't think i'd call it "soft-rock" but i think it makes a nice A/B with the angrier sound of Koi No Yokan, it's definitely warmer and more mellow (with the exception of the title track... that shit is H E A V Y!)

There's plenty of heavy moments on this record as well though, I'd say it's about as equally heavy as it is mellow... There's definitely the laid-back vibes but there's plenty of heavy and noisy moments as well. It strikes me as a pretty dynamic album overall.

I'm really loving this record, can't get enough this week, it gets better with every listen.

First listen to it, out of order on Spotify...this might just be their weakest album since Adrenaline. The few tracks that are instantly good aren't even that good, and the others weren't just not catching my attention, they actually made me feel bad at how weak they came across. Could just be my first impressions and that'll change after a few more listens (most of their recent albums have taken some time to sink in), but I don't remember being this initially put off by a Deftones record, like, ever. Holding out hope...

sent using magic space waves

yea it is sneaky heavy. I like what they did with it. very dynamic

Yeah agree with this. Noticing more of the heaviness on repeated listens. Think this one will be a grower but my initial impressions are pretty good anyway

There's certainly a lot of depth to it, it's well sequenced too. Still prefer Diamond Eyes out of last 3 but all great albums.

Their only bad one is Saturday Night Wrist for me, I don't include Adrenaline because I'm not 14 anymore.

Nice Quietus article:

http://thequietus.com/articles/20026-deftones-interview

Took me a while to get into Saturday but I love it just as much as the others now. The most inconsistent is the self-titled imo, but I love plenty about it too.

The production on Adrenaline pisses me off more than the music really.

Acid Hologram is stuck in my head and I don't want it to leave.

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoying this album so far, only a few listens in though. Between this and the new Filter being released on the same day (also a damn good album btw), it feels like it's the 90s again lol

Does anyone else hear some Faith No More influence in a few tracks? Specifically, Doomed User and Pittura Infamante?

I turned it off after 3 tracks. Couldn't handle it.

Which means either 1) I've lost my nerve for new metal and passed into the realm of Stereotypical Metal Nostalgia Dude, which is not good and something I always feared would never happen, or 2) It's terrible and it's the Deftones who have passed into the realm of Stereotypical Metal Nostalgia Dudes which is not good and something I always feared would never happen.

Have to be honest when I clicked onto The Needledrop and watched the review I felt a bit more assured it wasn't just me.

Not sure you should be you using Fantanos opinion to justify you not liking it.. just man up and listen to it all a few times and make your own mind up!

It took a few listens for me to fall in love with but fall in love with it I did.. their not really breaking any new ground but it's a fantastic album

Vinyl sounds nice.

I've seen the butcher vinyl and I am tempted. Which colour do you have? Is it a proper master for vinyl or one of those harsh digital presses I sometimes hear from metal albums pressed to vinyl?

That said, the production on the album itself is so soft I think it would sound majestic on vinyl without much need for change.

i've always been amused by this phenomena of how some alternative butt-metal bands from the 90's like tool, papa roach, system of a down(?), rage against the machine(?), that judging by all parameters should have been trashed and discarded by watmmers, somehow passed the threshold of acceptance and new digital cool in the idm world and achieved a respectable status.

Well, Papa Roach is the only wack band you named there.

• 3 months later...

Archived