IGNORED

The Orb - Alpine

zkom

Didn't see a topic on this? A new Orb EP is out.

Judging by the massive success of THE ORB's latest longplayer MOONBUILDING 2703 AD (KOMPAKT 330 CD 124) with critics and fans alike, we're not the only ones who can't get enough of the trippy electronica from pioneers Alex Paterson and Thomas Fehlmann - which is why we were truly thrilled to welcome the duo on the 2016 instalment of our POP AMBIENT compilation series with the joyously meandering cut ALPINE DAWN. However, this was only one piece of a psychedelic puzzle, with the full ALPINE trilogy now getting the attention it deserves. Spiritually and texturally akin to ALPINE DAWN, ALPINE MORNING starts off with actual cowbells and looping synth pads, changing lanes several times and introducing a relaxed downbeat flavor mid-track. This serves as an ideal primer for centerpiece ALPINE EVENING, which comes comfortably grounded in a heavy-duty rhythm section reminiscent of classic Kompakt stomp.

kompakt339-alpine.jpg

http://www.kompakt.fm/releases/alpine

Oh yeah, I have to remember to check that Pop Ambient 2016 also.

Just played it for the first time at work and found it rather underwhelming. Admittedly it was playing in the background but nothing grabbed my attention, will have to give it a few more spins.

Just played it for the first time at work and found it rather underwhelming. Admittedly it was playing in the background but nothing grabbed my attention, will have to give it a few more spins.

the orb really needs to be listened eye closed with full attention.

incredible album imo

incredible album imo

maybe you're right, I quite like the alpine theme (yodeling techno is fun;) and somehow focusing on german background and (music) history is what i always liked about kompakt, but wasnt as impressed as with "Moonbuilding 2703"

incredible album imo

maybe you're right, I quite like the alpine theme (yodeling techno is fun;) and somehow focusing on german background and (music) history is what i always liked about kompakt, but wasnt as impressed as with "Moonbuilding 2703"

yes, imo the orb needs full attention to fully understand how masterful they are.

at first, wasnt impress by moonbuilding but it grew on me and absolutely love it now.

Of course, nothing will ever reach Orbus terrarum (one of the best, if not the best, electronic album of all time).

Orbus is fucking insane. In some senses it's even more impressive than Tri Rep given the technology available in 95. I am utterly flabbergasted as to how they pulled off plateau with no software DAWs or anything. I cant even begin to work it out in my head. very few pieces of music actually feel "alive" .... but i suppose that's for a different thread

I am utterly flabbergasted as to how they pulled off plateau with no software DAWs or anything.

Really?! Is there an interview somewhere online where they talk about that - would've thought in that era it'd be an early Cubase build or at the very least some Atari ST sequencer....

EDIT: Seemed they had ProTools for the album, sorry to have broken the illusion el Lopez!

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_articles/jul95/orb.html

Another important piece of sound processing software featured on Orbvs Terrarvm was GRM Tools [reviewed last month]. This is a digital signal processor plug-in for Digidesign's ProTools system. Andy: "You put in a stereo sample and it gives you loads of different effects like stuttering and phasing, flanging and amazing pitch-shifts. There's a doppler effect on the vocal in 'Plateau' that was done on four channels. We got this loop that was in time, put in this doppler effect from GRM Tools that slowed down and sped up again as it came around, and when it looped it was still in time with the track. It was just fantastic!

ORBVS TERRARVM -- TRACK GUIDE

• PLATEAU

Written by Weston, Fehlmann & Paterson. Mixed by Hughes, Fehlmann & Paterson.

Beginning with a radio announcer, this quickly turns into the "squishy bass run" that Thrash was working on two years ago. According to him the bass sound was altered using a Marshall Time Modulator [a type of digital delay]. Over this is heard a grandiose synthesized string melody, before the dub beats kick in. A perfect example of the effects which can be achieved with GRM Tools comes as sounds and noises of all descriptions are fired into the mix and then stretched until they just dissolve into the background.

What's really surprising to me regarding that fact is that GRM Tools has been around for so long and yet is still only on version 3 .... At least it'll be a while before I have to pay for an upgrade to v4 !

Guest Low Rez

Didn't see a topic on this? A new Orb EP is out.

ALPINE MORNING starts off with actual cowbells

Actual cowbells ! Must be good then. The number of times I've been enjoying a piece of music only for it to be ruined by some virtual cowbells is too damn high.

Took a listen to the ep (I always listen on headphones) and it was pleasant enough. But I'm just glad to see Orbus Terrarum get some appreciation. Also funny how GRM tools still are awesomesauce 20 years later.

Archived