IGNORED

Monolake - VLSI

ventolin68

Out on Imbalance Computer Music 7 Oct 2016.

https://soundcloud.com/monolake/vlsi-teaser

Scheduled to arrive in October, the first Monolake LP in more than four years was initially hinted at in late 2014, when the German producer started a series of vinyl EPs with the ultimate goal of working the material into a proper full-length. There have since been five of those records, with one more to come following the release of VLSI.
The album features "re-arranged and augmented" tracks from those EPs alongside previously unreleased cuts. Mixing was handled by Henke and Mark Ernestus, continuing a shared history that dates back more than two decades.

I really dislike Robert Henke - just looking at the cover art it's like a bad spinoff of TDR's exai / l-event artwork. Haven't listened to the track but to me most of his music sounds like a really shallow version of ae. /imhotbqh

I really dislike Robert Henke - just looking at the cover art it's like a bad spinoff of TDR's exai / l-event artwork. Haven't listened to the track but to me most of his music sounds like a really shallow version of ae. /imhotbqh

monolake sounds nothing like AE to me. 

I do think there is a slight similarity in some of the sound design but other than that there are very different.

This coming out made me go back and listen to Ghosts last night sounded even more awesome than I remembered! Polygon Cities is still my fav Monolake though

lol uhhhhhh listen to Hong Kong, then interstate and then momentum and get back to us

lol uhhhhhh listen to Hong Kong, then interstate and then momentum and get back to us
This. Years ago I tried listening to some random monolake track on a compilation and wasn't too taken by it, but one day took the time to listen to those very 3 albums and was blown away. Very little relation to Autechre (whom I love dearly), very different vibe.

yeah dunno, not trying to say you should dislike him too, the music is not my cup of tea, it's ok. I like some of the older monolake stuff when it wasn't only Henke...

But, I think he's a total dickwad. Spoken to him several times and he's so full of himself it's unbelievable. Got an entourage of professional asslickers surrounding him 24/7. Not my finest post, but there.

• 2 weeks later...

Monolake always delivers. It seems to be mastered much quieter than the EPs that led up to it, but the production is great, especially on Unit.

yeah dunno, not trying to say you should dislike him too, the music is not my cup of tea, it's ok. I like some of the older monolake stuff when it wasn't only Henke...

But, I think he's a total dickwad. Spoken to him several times and he's so full of himself it's unbelievable. Got an entourage of professional asslickers surrounding him 24/7. Not my finest post, but there.

Maybe his narcissm empowers him to make good music, who knows?

It's a solid and coherent album with some interesting sound design, recommenable I think

Avoided the ep's in the wait for the album. Are they worth getting as well?

There are some exclusive tracks that are not on the album and the album tracks are slightly different and mastered louder. Worth listening to the samples and seeing what you think at least.

i find thm / him bit clinical, antiseptic, cold.. lifeless at times. other ear-fulls can be warm, fuzzy, almost playful (almost). i've always been harppy with th ml music exactly fr what they are. his attention to details is quite awe inspiring. ml is many different types of things and sounds, it is difficult to generalize. this and that and intergnat opinions and whatnot..

I know what you mean about the cold & clinical thing but that's a vibe I enjoy and he does it so well

Also am finding this album quite a bit warmer and more colourful then the past few monolake albums

Archived