IGNORED

t e l e p a t h - A

Rubin Farr

w h y  i s  t h e  a r t i s t  n a m e  t y p e d  l i k e  t h a t    ?

s o   w a v y

cuz  dem  aesthetics  man

dem  aesthetics

イースセティックス

it doesn't matter anyway

w h y  i s  t h e  a r t i s t  n a m e  t y p e d  l i k e  t h a t    ?

s o   w a v y

cuz  dem  aesthetics  man

dem  aesthetics

イースセティックス

it doesn't matter anyway

Meh. I think there's a difference between a design aesthetic (which I wholeheartedly encourage and agree with; artwork is important) and descriptive text on third-party sites or publications being required to have a certain kerning, spacing, font, etc.

Meh. I think there's a difference between a design aesthetic (which I wholeheartedly encourage and agree with; artwork is important) and descriptive text on third-party sites or publications being required to have a certain kerning, spacing, font, etc.

I totally agree.

I'm always ready to rant about my gripes of "aesthetics", goofy naming and spelling of monikers, spacing conventions and a plethora of other nonsense out there right now. If you were to glance at say, an EDM playlist on Spotify, actual names spelled correctly and normally capitalized would be in the minority.

Likewise on reddit, which used to be a good resource for digging up cool designs and influences, there's now this militant mob rule on what accounts as "aesthetics" in vaporwave and synthwave right now, to the point where it's a joke on reddit that if it's got pink and cyan tones it's "aesthetic." The more subtle nuances of late 80s / early 90s retro and vintage design and ethos, especially obscure or near forgotten stuff, has been completely shouted down by dumb meme loving kids who post and upvote shitty sunset pics they took.

Damn it I ranted anyway :/

I enjoy this release a lot as with 99% of Telepath releases, but somehow this album doesn't feel as cohesive to me, like it's a collection of tracks that sound kinda unrelated. If there's a narrative thread in the music, I'm not seeing it (despite the writeup on the dream catalogue bandcamp page).

All 4 tracks are good though, at least.

I thought it was previously a cassette? My bad

Nope, this is his first solo full length to not have a title in Asian lettering for a start!

And yeah, it's a bit of a weird one. Over the last year he's moved away from sample-based stuff (Gateway, his recent self-released singles and a lot of the newer Virtual Dream Plaza tracks), but this album sort of feels like a combination of those styles without any single idea running throughout. All the tracks are great, but it feels oddly disjointed, which is something I've never come across with his music before...

Archived