IGNORED

The Psychology Thread, I Guess...

LimpyLoo

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I just 'remembered' that, according to the gnostic alchemists:

polymathic 'kids' have a...what's the word...a 'gemini' personality

(If you will...totally cool if you won't, though)

And white cyclosas do some weird stuff...

(e.g.) They create fake spiders to catch real spiders...

But this stuff is probably a dead end...

(If you will...totally cool if you won't, though)

Limpy, I'm encouraging you to take your psycho[_____] studies and apply them to a 2 or 3 volume ~3000 page, Robert Caro style biography of a world-historical figure. Too many major Hitler bios right now, but perhaps a Mao, Pol Pot, Idi Amin or George W Bush.

I'll be available during regular office hours, if you need help choosing a topic.

You genuinely wanna help me do a big ambitious project?

That'd be awesome, I love stuff like that

Where to dig in, though?

(p.s. What's your subdiscipline-of-obsession?

you already know mine lol)

I'm often tempted to pursue a PhD or something, so I'll have an excuse to quit my job and do something like this. I'm reading Rick Perlstein's trilogy on the evolution of the American [far-]right after WWII, and it's making me v jealous.

Anyway, I studied (and now teach) history, so I guess that's my obsession. Currently dealing with unhealthy fixations on: Clinton-era White Nationalism and Richard M. Nixon . 

Limpy, I'm encouraging you to take your psycho[_____] studies and apply them to a 2 or 3 volume ~3000 page, Robert Caro style biography of a world-historical figure. Too many major Hitler bios right now, but perhaps a Mao, Pol Pot, Idi Amin or George W Bush.

I'll be available during regular office hours, if you need help choosing a topic.

Where to dig in, though?

I'm often tempted to pursue a PhD or something, so I'll have an excuse to quit my job and do something like this. I'm reading Rick Perlstein's trilogy on the evolution of the American [far-]right after WWII, and it's making me v jealous.

Anyway, I studied (and now teach) history, so I guess that's my obsession. Currently dealing with unhealthy fixations on: Clinton-era White Nationalism and Richard M. Nixon .

Lemme track down some Rick Perlstein

And also start resharpening my general world history-fu

(It is not good atm)

And then start zooming in as much as I can

And see how far I get, ya?

(Mao was as broken as they come,

And I know almost nothing about his bio

So that'd be interesting, for damn sure...)

Where to dig in, though?

Anyway, I studied (and now teach) history, so I guess that's my obsession. Currently dealing with unhealthy fixations on: Clinton-era White Nationalism and Richard M. Nixon .

Lemme track down some Rick Perlstein

And also start resharpening my general world history-fu

(It is not good atm)

And then start zooming in as much as I can

And see how far I get, ya?

(Mao was as broken as they come,

And I know almost nothing about his bio

So that'd be interesting, for damn sure...)

Let's see... My fav books on Mao (and his time) are (not necessarily the be-all-end-all, of course):  

Mao: A Life by Philip Short

Hungry Ghosts by Jasper Becker

and Tombstone: The Great Chinese Famine, 1958-1962 by Yang Jisheng (bonus points for being banned in China)

You need to get some sleep and maybe some help man. Your posts have stopped making sense over the past couple of days.

You don't like psychedelic metaphors?

Do they look too much like literal superstitious claims or something?

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong...

(And turns out I've looked into psychotherapy

For about 10+ years, non-stop

And I would feel rather bad saying you might need some therapy yourself, my friend.

But what exact form of therapy should I get?

(Since you seem to know way more about it than I do)

You like Susan Murphy's idea, my friend?

I've heard it works wonders

But you tell me what I need, my friend.

Is this your form of therapy or something?

Why do you ask?

Well, all of us humans have psychological stresses. We all need to learn how to cope with it and vent those frustrations. Every one of us find their own way of doing this. Some do alcohol or drugs, some have sex, some write diaries or music, some out their bereavements on the internet and some even have healthy coping mechanisms (yah, i know right)

This thread, which you made and make up 80% of the posts of, is about psychology. I think this thread is a way for you to vent your frustrations and find ways of coping with this.

*edit : wording

Is this your form of therapy or something?

Why do you ask?

Well, most of us humans have psychological stresses in one way or another. We all need to learn how to cope with it and vent those frustrations. Every one of us find their own way of doing this. Some do alcohol or drugs, some have sex, some write diaries or music, some out their bereavements on the internet and some even have healthy coping mechanisms (yah, i know right)

This thread, which you made and make up 80% of the posts of, is about psychology. I think this thread is a way for you to vent your frustrations and find ways of coping with this.

Why are you mocking me?

I'm probably crazy, but you almost seem to enjoy it or something..

(Or do I just, y'know, deserve your mockery?)

I wasn't out to mock you. If you are experiencing stresses, I am certainly not enjoying it.
You are displaying some behaviour, which most of us have outed our worries about. Isn't that a sign that we care for you?

You need to give yourself rest, both physically and mentally.

(Is mockery a coping mechanism?)

I don't know that much about psychology, so please teach me, my friend.

Like, you know more about this than me: what did Freud, Jung, and Rogers think about mockery? I'm sure it's gotta be totally healthy, right? Since you're here teaching me about mental health and all...)

Mockery definitely is a coping mechanism. I.e. i am better than you, so that makes my life better.

I don't know what the pioneers of psychology thought about it. I just have my own observations in life.
Having stood on the edge of "it" (i..e almost losing it two or three times), this is my advice: Rest.

some out their bereavements on the internet and some even have healthy coping mechanisms (yah, i know right)

I must be paranoid/neurotic, but I keep mistaking this healing you're up to as some kind of mockery.

But look, you know what the psychometrics folks think about neuroticism vs conscientiousness, right?

Where exactly on that spectrum do I fall, my healing friend?

limpy idk if you are aware but for some your posts come off as aggressively telling people how they should behave and think. both 'old' limpy and 'new' limpy did this. maybe you think the 'new' limpy is more benign or benevolent because you are preaching love and understanding, but the method is the same and it can be very grating.

a lot of people are resentful i think bc you've inserted yourself into so many discussions in that manner and you are incredibly verbose, which is exhausting. it's very hard to feel conversational with you because of the sheer volume of posts you make and because you always come from a very rigid ideological stand point, which ends up drawing all the energy out of discussions and gives the impression you want everything to revolve around you.

i dont think you are a bad person and i think that some of what you say is certainly insightful. it's just frustrating to watch a place you enjoy spending time in become someones soapbox and it's difficult to feel comfortable having conversations when you can rightly anticipate someone constantly interjecting and trying to steer the narrative to an ideology they have seemingly created to validate themselves.

limpy idk if you are aware but for some your posts come off as aggressively telling people how they should behave and think. both 'old' limpy and 'new' limpy did this. maybe you think the 'new' limpy is more benign or benevolent because you are preaching love and understanding, but the method is the same and it can be very grating.a lot of people are resentful i think bc you've inserted yourself into so many discussions in that manner and you are incredibly verbose, which is exhausting. it's very hard to feel conversational with you because of the sheer volume of posts you make and because you always come from a very rigid ideological stand point, which ends up drawing all the energy out of discussions and gives the impression you want everything to revolve around you.i dont think you are a bad person and i think that some of what you say is certainly insightful. it's just frustrating to watch a place you enjoy spending time in become someones soapbox and it's difficult to feel comfortable having conversations when you can rightly anticipate someone constantly interjecting and trying to steer the narrative to an ideology they have seemingly created to validate themselves.

Yes, I like point out when people are mocking me, and then ask them if it's meant to pull me up or tear me down, because I'm so high in neuroticism (Phoenix knows!) that sometimes I can't tell who my friends are anymore.

I am not going to continue this conversation with you.

Please help yourself. I am not your therapist.

Which kind of therapy should I seek out?

(toss a mate some helpful information so they can get better, please...)

I wasn't out to mock you. If you are experiencing stresses, I am certainly not enjoying it.

You are displaying some behaviour, which most of us have outed our worries about. Isn't that a sign that we care for you?

You need to give yourself rest, both physically and mentally.

...actually I was gonna say that too lol

I also think you better get rest - not to say that throwing honest thoughts out to the world isn't healthy because that'd contradict what I said! But I do agree with Phoenix that you sound really tired and quite unhinged, just judging from your previous posts - they seem quite detached and now you're on a bit of a loop that you think you're being mocked, which you clearly aren't! Like it's just advice, srsly rest is perfect because you wake up with a fresh mind and it's the best thing ever, and what's great about that is the fact that you're able to process your thoughts better and reconstruct them in a way that's coherent. You've been at this thread for AGES and now it's like you're trying to pull things from your head as much as you can, so maybe your brain needs a bit of timeout from all of this...

Yes my brain definitely needs a bit of a timeout from "all of this".

The amount of sincerity and humanism being thrown my way, it's almost too much to handle, y'know?

it seems like you dont really have any consideration for how your posts make other people feel and if you do you completely invalidate those feelings by explaining them as part of the philosophical package deal you are constantly trying to sell. do you feel you do not have any role in the negativity that surrounds you?

if you constantly dismiss others feelings as invalid how can you expect other people to respect your own feelings?

Archived