IGNORED

The Psychology Thread, I Guess...

LimpyLoo

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh dude totally

I guess the whole 'lead by example' thing must mean 'be the sort of person that people will want to ask for ideas'

(Or something...I have no idea because I'm under-construction myself)

But Carl Rogers thought mere *listening* was the pre-condition for all of this stuff to work

Listening...and no paddles.

If it's worth anything to you, Peace:

A couple days ago I made a huge (and painfully sincere) list of people I admire and aspire to be like.

And you'll never guess who was on that list...

One Love, baby... One Love.
Dude, your use of psychedelic metaphors is one of my favorite things about watmm. Truly.

(I've kinda borrowed it--if that's cool--but I kinda think everyone should speak in psychedelic metaphors (if they want, to of course)...imagine *that* world, yo...sign me up for that!)

Consciousness, love, self-understanding, sincerity, harmony, balance, respect, forgiveness, mindfulness, focus, sharing, assistance, peace, happiness, contentment, fearlessness, intention, effort, action- etc.-- these are the types of things I've been working on living through and strengthening for ages.  I'm glad you get it.  I've learnt that freeing everyone (helping everyone find their highest path) is not necessary or even immediately feasible, but if we each strive to be our strongest selves, everyone and everything we interact with benefits.  In this sense, refining and living through one's highest ideals is the most efficient way to make the world a better place.  Every step we take is a ripple in the pond, and every ripple carries our vibez.

I just want the best life for myself and everyone I interact with.

How to overcome internet addiction?

(and addiction in general)

Classical Conditioning, cognitive-behavioral-therapy (CBT) and (behavioral) 'extinction'

('extinguish' that thing, yo

piece 'o cake once you know the 'dance moves')

Also Susan Murphy recently won a MacArthur grant

for her idea of 'adaptive intervention'

TL;DR = stare at your current maladaptive 'dance moves',

one by one, in as high a resolution as you can possibly notice,

and re-jigger them as you notice them

Cheers

(and you know where to find me if you need an idea or two)

-brandon

Oh also:

The idea of 'bio-feedback' took me awhile to understand

But I think it tends sometimes to get presented vaguely

Well like, what is feeding back into what?

a) your (observed) bodily micro-sensations, and

b) your cognitive system/'attention and thoughts'

(not all Psychologists are wild about Phenomenology/Philosophy of Mind,

so these ideas aren't always presented in the most-useful ways)

If your internet over-usage is an obstacle to your goals/dreams/hopes/etc

Then that's the way to do it

(I try to put aside the very-slippery word 'addiction' when I'm looking at my habits

Like right now with my cigarette-smoking habit

I found I would crave a cigarette every time I walked by my cigarette pack

The exact same way my cat meows for food literally every time I stand by the sink

('highly suspect', ya feel me?)

P.S. I do not mean 'get off the internet right now, yo'

I mean 'pay close attention to your behavioral micro-routines and how they relate to the information you are (perpetually) being fed from your environment'

(Bah, sorry about the unwieldy sentence, but there are always a million hidden assumptions in our language, as per Frege and Kripkenstein)

Well, actually without my internet usage I wouldn't know about my favourite music and my favourite hobbies. Also I never cancel dates or anything because of internet - so probably false alarm. It's society that's dependent on internet, not me personally, but I don't know

Now I have to smoke a cigarette ;D

Well, actually without my internet usage I wouldn't know about my favourite music and my favourite hobbies. Also I never cancel dates or anything because of internet - so probably false alarm. It's society that's dependent on internet, not me personally, but I don't know

It's people! The Internet is people!

+ language!

Therefor I at least try to pay my phone/internet bill on time

And I tend to fail quite often at *that* habit lol

(What to do, what to do...)

It's people! The Internet is people!

+ language!

Therefor I at least try to pay my phone/internet bill on time

And I tend to fail quite often at *that* habit lol

(What to do, what to do...)

What to do? You can make your bank do it automatically for you

Yeah definitely

But also on top of that I might try to focus my attention on my 'perception/action/environment' loop-cycle

So my cognitive system can correct my automatic/'autonomic' routines

...Which usually remain hidden from us

But Maslowe had a cool learning theory

(with a terrible, misleading name: the '(4) stages of conscious competence', iirc)

And the also-terribly-named stages:

1) unconscious 'incompetence'

2) conscious 'incompetence'

3) conscious 'competence'

4) unconscious 'competence'

(Sorry, lotta moving parts that need emphasizing a la spoken language)

(imo) the vaguest-ever description of CBT + 'cognitive/autonomic' biofeedback-loops

I have ever heard

(I think i've only heard 2 though lol)

Limpy, I'm encouraging you to take your psycho[_____] studies and apply them to a 2 or 3 volume ~3000 page, Robert Caro style biography of a world-historical figure. Too many major Hitler bios right now, but perhaps a Mao, Pol Pot, Idi Amin or George W Bush.

I'll be available during regular office hours, if you need help choosing a topic.

Limpy, I'm encouraging you to take your psycho[_____] studies and apply them to a 2 or 3 volume ~3000 page, Robert Caro style biography of a world-historical figure. Too many major Hitler bios right now, but perhaps a Mao, Pol Pot, Idi Amin or George W Bush.

I'll be available during regular office hours, if you need help choosing a topic.

You genuinely wanna help me do a big ambitious project?

That'd be awesome, I love stuff like that

Where to dig in, though?

(p.s. What's your subdiscipline-of-obsession?

you already know mine lol)

How come you have the energy to write so freaking much? I've had that when I quit smoking weed regularly. It's not documented because I did it in real life but I had the urge to talk my face off to all the people around me until they were annoyed.- It took a week or so to wear off. Not saying that all of what you say is nonsense or redundant it's just conspicuously much. No offense!

And I was thinking we could all do some silly related-to-post

playlist-y stuff again ...

(Sorry about the annoying 'lyrics vid' lol)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=q2AEYf5TB9o

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2cOYzDtpEmI

@darre

Except for the smoking (which I can't seem to shake atm)

I have become slightly-obsessive about which food I categorize as 'medicine', and which as 'poison'.

And a lot of exercise wherever possible (imo it's free oxygen for my frontal lobe...and my toes, so I can be 'quick on my feet' in both senses.)

And also I learned some cool typing-shorthand tricks, which made the Internet like 100x easier (basically just Maslowe + some (also newly-acquired) Google-fu whenever I encounter 'goal-related obstacles' of any sort)

p.s. Why the hell would a bunch of children wanna fight monsters from a place called the "upside-down world"?

(What kind of sceenwriter would think up such a thing?)

What a bizarre conceit for a show lol

Archived