IGNORED

The Psychology Thread, I Guess...

LimpyLoo

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we could always tell the other person they're mentally ill

And to change their behavior accordingly

And tell them exactly what they need: therapy, cleaner apartment, better sleep schedule, better accupuncture...

Or...something else?

That may very well work. It's important that it keeps a feeling of personal dominance over the other person, for both people. It's a 0 sum game. We both will go on believing whatever the hell we believed before, and not have to pay attention to anyone else's thoughts/beliefs.

You have your lawyer write up a contract, and mine will mull it over.

That may very well work. It's important that it keeps a feeling of personal dominance over the other person, for both people. It's a 0 sum game. We both will go on believing whatever the hell we believed before, and not have to pay attention to anyone else's thoughts/beliefs.

You have your lawyer write up a contract, and mine will mull it over.

So here's *exactly* what's wrong with you, btw:

Nothing, my brother.

Can we all go do something fun, now?

I haven't been reading the latest pages very closely, but come on, get the fuck out with your misplaced, passive-aggressive phony support. You spend a large amount of time typing with strangers on an Internet shithole, which precludes your right to take some moral or mental high ground. Limpys posts are just curious navel-gazing for all I care, and even if it's not to my taste I certainly wouldn't have the audacity to make rash judgments about his health. Do you have any idea how insulting that sounds?

I haven't been reading the latest pages very closely, but come on, get the fuck out with your misplaced, passive-aggressive phony support. You spend a large amount of time typing with strangers on an Internet shithole, which precludes your right to take some moral or mental high ground. Limpys posts are just curious navel-gazing for all I care, and even if it's not to my taste I certainly wouldn't have the audacity to make rash judgments about his health. Do you have any idea how insulting that sounds?

If you think I'm currently an insincere person

Then it might sound insulting, I don't know

Why, does it look like I'm out to attack?

I put the paddle down and then wrote 3 painfully-honest pages about my vulnerabilities and flaws and how I'm trying to become a good person

Turns out sincerity is pre-required for credibility and mutual respect, and I guess I'm learning that the hard way

But based on how much you seem to feel justified in mocking me,

I must've been quite an insincere jerk for quite some time,

And I don't always know the best way to repair that

But I am trying

Hey, I was writing that to your defense. Do you even read posts before replying? Maybe you do need a break?

Your post is a little confusing. I had to read it a few times to realize that. The first half of the post sounds like you're attacking him, then the second half sounds like a defense.

p.s. Where'd you get the idea that this is a zero-sum game?

For what it's worth:

I think that's the ugliest idea that currently exists in the entire universe, btw 

It's just a joke. I've heard that phrase thrown around so much that I decided to throw it around.

Hey, I was writing that to your defense. Do you even read posts before replying? Maybe you do need a break?

Your post is a little confusing. I had to read it a few times to realize that. The first half of the post sounds like you're attacking him, then the second half sounds like a defense.

I totally forgot about Limpys recent shotgun barrage of self-help posts before everybody jumped in, which could lead to confusion since I didn't adress anyone in particular. Me type more good from now on.

I totally forgot about Limpys recent shotgun barrage of self-help posts before everybody jumped in, which could lead to confusion since I didn't adress anyone in particular. Me type more good from now on.

yeah it just needed clarification.

chim's adressing the people who tell you that you're ill, Limpy, or am I getting that wrong?

And he's telling you that you think about yourself too much for his taste. Or did I read this completely wrong?

Dude you're right

Chim my bad man

I just automatically assumed I was being paddled so...

..self-help..

I think you might be on to something worth discussing here when you use that term - I really think can be something narcissistic and sociopathic in the culture of self-help, and even more so 'life hacking'

It might be interesting to think about where self-help and psychology overlap, and where they deviate

As a side note, I love Maria Bamford, and anyone interested in self-help and mental health should get into her stuff, she's amazing

It might be interesting

haha look I'm laughing at me
Is this directed at me?

Do you know my thoughts on the stuff you're talking about right now?

Because I wrote down roughly everything I know about psychotherapy and psychology to try to help the people listening to me

(I mean, you read my big life story post, right? Because I was not telling that story to hear myself talk about myself, that's for sure

I don't often humiliate myself and reveal all my flaws for the narcissistic thrill,

that doesn't sound like narcissism to me one bit

Do you know what symptom cluster that word refers to?

Because it sure ain't that afaik

Limpy's not ill, he's just needs something more productive to do than post on a forum. (I personally avoid hanging around too much, it's a time sink, used to post too much on other places, bad memories...)

With all this writing you do, could you not apply this to a compilation of essays, or even a book of your thoughts / theories? I mean, you can post here all you want, you paid up your members fees, but gotta be more satisfaction in producing a neat collection of work than posting limpy lumps throughout the day on a forum that will (eventually) disappear.

You've got plenty of ideas. Gotta be better ways to put them to use (imo).

edit: of course, perhaps Limpy is hella productive when not on the forum, and posting here is his down time from having been productive. Wouldn't want to assume you're not.

Limpy's not ill, he's just needs something more productive to do than post on a forum. (I personally avoid hanging around too much, it's a time sink, used to post too much on other places, bad memories...)

With all this writing you do, could you not apply this to a compilation of essays, or even a book of your thoughts / theories? I mean, you can post here all you want, you paid up your members fees, but gotta be more satisfaction in producing a neat collection of work than posting limpy lumps throughout the day on a forum that will (eventually) disappear.

Great advice

..self-help..

I think you might be on to something worth discussing here when you use that term - I really think can be something narcissistic and sociopathic in the culture of self-help, and even more so 'life hacking'

It might be interesting to think about where self-help and psychology overlap, and where they deviate

As a side note, I love Maria Bamford, and anyone interested in self-help and mental health should get into her stuff, she's amazing

It might be interesting

haha look I'm laughing at me

You're definitely touching on an important subject here. I am so conflicted about all this self-help stuff. Self-help material has been instrumental in my dealing with past anxiety issues (medication didn't work and I wasn't open to two-party counseling), and I think it's important to have goals and work for them and all, but constantly trying to actualize this nebulous idea of potential, and the way a lot of this material is presented, feels so shallow and pretentious. It's presented as this magnanimous important thing while it's really a luxurious pastime. I meet people every day whose hearts are in the right places but really don't have room or time for that sort of thing, that implicit judgement that they're not "striving in the right way". it's like an affront to their existence and the sacrifices they need to make for family and their livelihood. we're all just a big mess trying to survive and get through the day. It's like, what are you trying to prove?

edit: of course, perhaps Limpy is hella productive when not on the forum, and posting here is his down time from having been productive. Wouldn't want to assume you're not.

Do you know what I'm doing while I'm sitting here typing?

Because it sounds like you're certain that you do

Like my sleep schedule (hey btw: what time did I wake up and how long have I been awake? You guys seem certain about that, too)

and my filthy apartment

The problem is probably LimpyLoo, right?

There must be some narcissistic arrogant game he's up to...

You're definitely touching on an important subject here. I am so conflicted about all this self-help stuff. Self-help material has been instrumental in my dealing with past anxiety issues (medication didn't work and I wasn't open to two-party counseling), and I think it's important to have goals and work for them and all, but constantly trying to actualize this nebulous idea of potential, and the way a lot of this material is presented, feels so shallow and pretentious. It's presented as this magnanimous important thing while it's really a luxurious pastime. I meet people every day whose hearts are in the right places but really don't have room or time for self-help bullshit, it's like an affront to their existence and the sacrifices they need to make for family and their livelihood. we're all just a big mess trying to survive and get through the day. It's like, what are you trying to prove? 

There's this book called 'The Power of Habit' by Charles Duhigg that I'm reading. It's basically a kind of self help book, but it's pretty good and has helped me kickstart good habits, routines, goals to help me get to where I wanna be. It basically teaches you what a habit is, outlines lots of research, statistics, and personal anecdotes from different areas of life that helps paint a picture of what a habit is, and how to change it, and kind of teaches you how to manipulate your current habits, create new ones, etc.

Self-help books as a whole have a bad reputation, but as with anything if the book is good, the book is good. 

Do you know what I'm doing while I'm sitting here typing?

Because it sounds like you're certain that you do

Like my sleep schedule (hey btw: what time did I wake up and how long have I been awake? You guys seem certain about that, too)

and my filthy apartment

The problem is probably LimpyLoo, right?

There must be some narcissistic arrogant game he's up to...

He said he doesn't know what you're doing and if you are productive.

He only said that you could use some of the effort you put into writing long posts on WATMM   and put it into making a book or essays.

Which is great advice in my opinion because you seem to have fun writing down your ideas and some of your ideas are probably worth writing down.

It was a very friendly post actually, maybe slightly patronizing but friendly

Archived