IGNORED

The Psychology Thread, I Guess...

LimpyLoo

..teaches you how to manipulate your current habits..

This is a worrying phrase

I see what you mean.

Well in a habit you have a Cue-> Routine-> Reward. You just have to change the routine to be more positive. Er, You don't have to manipulate them, it's just that it's the easiest thing to do verses totally stopping the habit/making a new one. Requires the less willpower/effort/ whatever you wanna call it.

For example, I changed my morning habit of sleeping in on days I don't have work, to getting up immediately and making my bed. I've been doing it for a month now and it's finally becoming second nature.

An example the book gave is for people who bite their nails. First you have to pay attention to the various cues that get you to bite them in the first place. Write them down. Then after a week you become conscious of them. Then you work on changing the routine. You receive the cue, then you immediately start taping your knuckles on your leg (the book gave this example) the person who did this successfully quit biting her nails however. It took a few weeks for it to click. It's just how our brains work.

I also changed my habit of getting on watmm so much. I used to just automatically click on watmm, but now I automatically click on my DAW :) If I'm on this forum, it's because I thought: I should get on WATMM.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Limpy's not ill, he's just needs something more productive to do than post on a forum. (I personally avoid hanging around too much, it's a time sink, used to post too much on other places, bad memories...)

With all this writing you do, could you not apply this to a compilation of essays, or even a book of your thoughts / theories? I mean, you can post here all you want, you paid up your members fees, but gotta be more satisfaction in producing a neat collection of work than posting limpy lumps throughout the day on a forum that will (eventually) disappear.

You've got plenty of ideas. Gotta be better ways to put them to use (imo).

edit: of course, perhaps Limpy is hella productive when not on the forum, and posting here is his down time from having been productive. Wouldn't want to assume you're not.

Do you know what I'm doing while I'm sitting here typing?

Because it sounds like you're certain that you do

Like my sleep schedule (hey btw: what time did I wake up and how long have I been awake? You guys seem certain about that, too)

and my filthy apartment

The problem is probably LimpyLoo, right?

There must be some narcissistic arrogant game he's up to...

He said he doesn't know what you're doing and if you are productive.

He only said that you could use some of the effort you put into writing long posts on WATMM   and put it into making a book or essays.

Which is great advice in my opinion because you seem to have fun writing down your ideas and some of your ideas are probably worth writing down.

It was a very friendly post actually, maybe slightly patronizing but friendly

For all I know, what he posts are in fact entries in a book, and we're getting first dibs. Again, Limpy can post all he wants, not a disguised 'write elsewhere so you're not posting here' comment. If I thought that, I'd just say it.

Also the post wasn't meant to be patronizing but I rescind any offense if considered so. It simply comes from someone who regrets spending a lot of time on forums is all.

Book? Essays?

What do you think I'm up to these days?

I guess there's no need to ask, if you already know everything about me

p.s. Anyone looking for a massive list of my flaws and how I'm deeply imperfect

I already made it, and it hurt to make it...because turns out taking a deep deep look at yourself is painful and hard, but Carl Rogers thought that offering your own personal scars and ugliness is the best way to heal everyone involved

(Did you read my life story? It's actually super short, but everything you could ever need to attack my character is right there waiting for you, my friends)

That's your most defensive post yet.

Also Brisbot, You are sounding a bit like him now. Self congratulatory without hinting at the benefits from the changes your making. What do you do with those extra hours in the morning?

Book? Essays?

I already made it, and it hurt to make it...because turns out taking a deep deep look at yourself is painful and hard, but Carl Rogers thought that offering your own personal scars and ugliness is the best way to heal everyone involved

(Did you read my life story? It's actually super short, but everything you could ever need to attack my character is right there waiting for you, my friends)

I clearly don't, and I haven't read properly. Apologies.

That's your most defensive post yet.

Also Brisbot, You are sounding a bit like him now. Self congratulatory without hinting at the benefits from the changes your making. What do you do with those extra hours in the morning?

Have I attacked your character once, schlitze?

(Should I start, to even things out a bit?)

Book? Essays?

Why do you keep assuming that everyone wants to attack you?

Some people probably want to do that and did do that,

but you seem to be generally distrustful towards any type of (benign) suggestion

(and I don't mean to hurt you by saying this)

Book? Essays?

Why do you keep assuming that everyone wants to attack you?

Some people probably want to do that and did do that,

but you seem to be generally distrustful towards any type of (benign) suggestion

(and I don't mean to hurt you by saying this)

I made a new thread about this very topic!

But it sounds like you got me pegged, so no need to read it

Long reply:

Look. It's just something I'm currently into. It's up to you to check the book out or not. I'm just suggesting it as a conversational thing, and I enjoy writing down my thoughts on watmm, I'm not uncomfortable writing some minor details of my life on this forum. I didn't really explain any further since I am still in the beginning stages of this as I have a long ways to go, and it would be a much longer post. And honestly, it was just a book recommendation to Chim vs 'general advice' for others. I

I don't see the problem with being self congratulatory as you put it. I just think of it as being proud of your progress, like when people trying to lose weight check the scale every monday.

I do see the problem with holding your own progress over other people. I'm not doing that, I'm just happy with my current progress, and I'm not saying "you should do what I'm doing or else you're inferior". I don't FEEL that way.

I'm still in the process of changing habits, honestly not even at the halfway point yet but I feel like I'm making progress. I haven't reaped the full benefits, whatever they are.

So far, I've been eating somewhat healthier, fewer cokes, more vegetables, less sugar. More time spent working on hobbies that are important to me like music, less time spent mindlessly browsing the web. Much less time. Today is an exception since this thread is uh... engaging. Well I'm twerking on music right now and keep looking at this thread.

Brisbot, that's awesome, my friend!

If I can every help in any way, lemme know.

I'm somewhat familiar with the CBT/adaptive intervention/psychotherapy/predictive coding literature,

And those ideas helped me massively...

(e.g. kicking heroin, anxiety, diabetic gout, and a bunch of other un-fun stuff)

Cheers,

-brandon

I'm somewhat familiar with the CBT/adaptive intervention/psychotherapy/predictive coding literature,

(e.g. kicking heroin, anxiety, diabetic gout, and a bunch of other un-fun stuff)

If you can either post here or message me literature, videos, etc. that helped you basically take control of your life. 'The power of habit' is an idea, that you can control what you do by being conscious of your habits, making new ones, changing them, etc. And it's working so far.

So anything like that, new ideas/things to think about that can potentially help me. I guess just stuff that helped you. Just give me a few prominent ones and I'll check them out.

this thread is uh... engaging

Yes! I'm fascinated

Have you considered the interesting stuff happened long ago in this thread?

Like pages 13-15, for instance?

Because the thread you are currently posting in had some interesting conversations about psychology, if you're actually here for that. (I'm assuming that's why you're here, in this psychology thread)

Cheers

If you can either post here or message me literature, videos, etc. that helped you basically take control of your life. 'The power of habit' is an idea, that you can control what you do by being conscious of your habits, making new ones, changing them, etc. And it's working so far.

So anything like that, new ideas/things to think about that can potentially help me. I guess just stuff that helped you. Just give me a few prominent ones and I'll check them out.

My friend, I spent 6-7 pages in this thread spewing nearly everything I've ever learned in my life.

I don't know what else I can offer but a link to (I think) page 13-ish.

So sorry, way off: page 18

Post #346 (I can't figure out how to grab link in tapatalk)

But post starts "this...this is the best I am capable of"

And then I tried to TL;DR every important thing I've ever learned about this world

In the post called "(/thread) TL;DR"

(But then later I made a new thread

And it got locked and Squee told me to just keep my big ideas to this thread

So here we are in here, again...)

Not really

I'm not a Christian and I am not a fan of the Bible...one single bit

I do like some of the stories it borrowed from, though

(Imo it's just some mixtape of the previous 10,000 years worth of ancestral (metaphorical) wisdom)

But nobody wants to hear what I actually think

Why? Because Wittgenstein and (gnostic) Babel, that's why

If you wanna understand me, it's all in this thread

I promise

I can't explain Wittgenstein right here any better than I already have

He's a linguistic philosopher, and Babel is a story about language

(Like what you and I are trading right now)

So if that's a helpful clue, then cool

If not, then maybe check out the 2-3 pages leading up to it

And I can't TL;DR the other stuff any better either

If you think I'm some Jesus freak like Mesh Gear etc.

Then nothing to see here

But I genuinely tried to connect every single possible dot in this thread

But nobody heard me...

(Why? Because Wittgenstein and the Tower of Babel...)

you have this daaaaaangerous disease of thinking that you're the only one who has taken intro psych and philosophy in college. which is of course a completely ludicrous and idiotic thing to think. you act as an enlightened evangelist preaching to the unclean hoi polloi of watmm. you mask this one-way thought with the classic "i'm just here to have a discussion; I want to share ideas" but the second anyone criticizes you and your incredibly sophomoric attempts at "thinking" you then double down and behave like a petulant child. It's pathetic. All of this has made so many excellent, intelligent, funny, friendly people stop posting on this board. A loss of quality for all - due almost exclusively to your gross narcissism. Please: do us a favor and take a break, kick the habit, stop chasing the dragon - it's doing nothing but harm, to yourself, to other's opinion of you, and to our nice little beach community here. Come back when you are ready to behave like an adult.

PS. a small aside: there have always been posters on watmm with substance abuse issues. they've come and gone, but they all shared a characteristic of being unable to see their presence on this board as another form of addiction - ranting and raving on posting sprees, yelling at anyone who will listen and enable, and then completely blind to any sort of critical attempts at intervention. Posters and mods of watmm, the only way to get through is to be firm and fair and force them to rehab (temporary banning)

you have this daaaaaangerous disease of thinking that you're the only one who has taken intro psych and philosophy in college. which is of course a completely ludicrous and idiotic thing to think. you act as an enlightened evangelist preaching to the unclean hoi polloi of watmm. you mask this one-way thought with the classic "i'm just here to have a discussion; I want to share ideas" but the second anyone criticizes you and your incredibly sophomoric attempts at "thinking" you then double down and behave like a petulant child. It's pathetic. All of this has made so many excellent, intelligent, funny, friendly people stop posting on this board. A loss of quality for all - due almost exclusively to your gross narcissism. Please: do us a favor and take a break, kick the habit, stop chasing the dragon - it's doing nothing but harm, to yourself, to other's opinion of you, and to our nice little beach community here. Come back when you are ready to behave like an adult.

PS. a small aside: there have always been posters on watmm with substance abuse issues. they've come and gone, but they all shared a characteristic of being unable to see their presence on this board as another form of addiction - ranting and raving on posting sprees, yelling at anyone who will listen and enable, and then completely blind to any sort of critical attempts at intervention. Posters and mods of watmm, the only way to get through is to be firm and fair and force them to rehab (temporary banning)

I'm sorry you feel that way, I guess.

Are you really trying to understand what I think?

Because I think you don't actually care what I think.

I think you scan my posts for the first mock-worthy thing you can find

And let 'er rip, cause LimpyLoo is fair game, haven't you heard

(I hope I never treat you that way, because that does not sound like a good time to me)

Lopez

Next time you make a post

I'll be sure to track it down and mock it mercilessly

(Because hey it's not *my* fault you deserve mockery!)

Yeah sounds fun mate

Turns out I hate insincerity and mockery

But of course you would know that if you lent me a single drop of goodwill, even once

But nope, just the mockery I guess

Cheers "mate"

I follow the motto of live and let live.  Don't enter a thread if you don't want to, it's not a big deal at all unless you choose to get involved, and you have the choice not to

That being said, this thread and other threads started off as genuinely entertaining discussions of interesting topics.  The most recent thread devolved into a heap of ridiculously loose associations, the type of nonsense I write when I'm high as fuck and think my every thought is worth writing

With all due respect, legitimately 100% respect and care, I personally suspect you've come off medication or something limpy and should probably get back on it, or you might just need to quit the psychs including weed.  No malice in this post whatsoever and I acknowledge I may be 100% wrong about this but yeah

im out

Archived