IGNORED

Online music magazines?

Auditor

Does anyone know of any good online magazines/platforms focused on experimental electronic music? I'm already aware of The wire, The Quietus, and Truantsblog, but I need more shit to read to pass the time! 

Looking for something with interviews, reviews, essays, trippy shit, what-have-you's. The more left-field the better!

Tiny Mix Tapes reviews a lot of avant-garde, experimental music, and a good amount of it is electronic.

Yes they do! I haven't checked the site in a while, need to get on that. 

A few sites I've found scouring the web tonight: 

http://www.attnmagazine.co.uk/

http://disquiet.com/

https://touchingextremes.wordpress.com/

http://olewnick.blogspot.com/

since subscribing with Spotify, I've become a fan of rateyourmusic.com

If I'm gonna have a few hours spotifying unheard albums I'll read along with the reviews on here, I find them more entertaining and agreeable as they are written by fans not pretentious journalists. I've read some cool and funny yarns and tales on there. Maybe not highbrow stuff but I like it anyway (the website itself looks a bit dated but the content is better)

Depending on what you are looking for depends on the amount of reviews, it seems good for all genres.

Headphone Commute. It's basically my musical taste put into a website. They mainly do reviews but it's the artist interviews/in the studio stuff that I love.

CDM is also nice. It's more of a geek site about music technology.

since subscribing with Spotify, I've become a fan of rateyourmusic.com

If I'm gonna have a few hours spotifying unheard albums I'll read along with the reviews on here, I find them more entertaining and agreeable as they are written by fans not pretentious journalists. I've read some cool and funny yarns and tales on there. Maybe not highbrow stuff but I like it anyway (the website itself looks a bit dated but the content is better)

Depending on what you are looking for depends on the amount of reviews, it seems good for all genres.

I used to frequent that site until I got fed up with all the shit 5 paragraph reviews about how Autechre is annoying noise, Burial is boring Dubstep with no drops, etc.

Weren't they doing like a revamp of the site a while ago? They were supposed to have a site for video games and movies as well but it looks like it's not there yet. I stopped going there around the time they announced that.

If you're using rym solely for reviews you are using the site wrong. The lists are the main function of the site. Lists and the user charts which can be narrowed by genre and sub genre. Coupled with spotify and youtube and some rym users with good taste (they do exist) and you have the most powerful tool for music discovery available.

I never bothered with the lists for some reason but yes, they're actually pretty cool now that I'm checking them out, though I don't know about charts. It's kind of hard to tell how good something is with such a shit rating system where literally everything is a 3/5 and the highest rated album of all time is a 4, but I don't really bother with ratings that much.

Yeah if (like me) your a fanboy of Aphex you might get a bit miffed at his masterpieces rated at 3.60 out of 5.00, but that's why I like it as it gives a more rounded view. I enjoy reading the reasons why people don't like an album just as much as the positive reasons.

I get bored when everybody is just high-fiving each other.

Fosho. I also forgot about a real classic: http://mutant-sounds.blogspot.com/

Now defunct, but they used to be the shit 

fmshades was great too. wmfu beware the blog was a goldmine at the same. shit that was like 10 years ago, good times

I can't stand tinymixtapes for the most part

i mean; http://www.tinymixtapes.com/music-review/xiu-xiu-forget

and sure I hunted for the worst recent example, but there's heaps of this kind of thing - reviews which are more about the reviewer than what is being reviewed

I don't get it

and sure I hunted for the worst recent example, but there's heaps of this kind of thing - reviews which are more about the reviewer than what is being reviewed

I don't get it

Haha I didn't see that one! Classic. Yeah they can be pretty insufferable sometimes, I usually just read their newswire + features.

I don't get it

Haha I didn't see that one! Classic. Yeah they can be pretty insufferable sometimes, I usually just read their newswire + features.
I like that about the site, that's why pfork used to be notable, for better or worse the reviews were entertaining. They still have the balls to be contrarian and critical unlike the other tastemaker sites.

TMT has a pretty wide scope of coverage and the feature underground stuff A LOT. Like the Wired but without the high brow vibe.

i'm trying to remember an old mp3 blog that went away and i can't remember the name and it's driving me crazy. mostly focused on obscure psych and noise, some ambient, some live recordings of more famous legacy rock acts. anyone have a list of every music blog from the mid to late 2000s lol?

Peter Kirn's writing gets on my tits though. I can't decide whether he's really enthusiastic about the 9999th iPhone sequencer app with a pretty UI or if he's super thirsty for content. He also loves to go really in-depth about wanky art projects that sound depressingly dull. About 1 out of 10 times, there will be a decent article on the front page, often not written by him. I'll read it if I'm super bored, basically.

Peter Kirn's writing gets on my tits though. I can't decide whether he's really enthusiastic about the 9999th iPhone sequencer app with a pretty UI or if he's super thirsty for content. He also loves to go really in-depth about wanky art projects that sound depressingly dull. About 1 out of 10 times, there will be a decent article on the front page, often not written by him. I'll read it if I'm super bored, basically.

True. I've noticed a lot of pointless articles on there. I mainly just judge by the headline and read it if I'm interested but yeah. "I'm here to tell you I've got nothing to tell you".

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the (drunken) bump, but you know I love rateyourmusic, many, many times I've read so many great reviews/stories on there explaining peoples opinions on an album. It's really great. Anyway I just clicked on Panteras Cowboys From Hell, and I read this and it made my day, and just perfectly proves how this shits over mainstream commercial music reviews. I thought I'd share with you

This is one of the best metal records of the 90s. You know the world is totally fucked when Dimebag and John Lennon get murdered but people like Axl Rose, P Diddy and Britney Spears are allowed to live.

Love it.

Archived