IGNORED

Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross - The Vietnam War (Original Score)

Rubin Farr

I had no idea they were scoring that. Neat that they were involved instead of just sticking to pop music of the era. Speaking of surprised there's only on Creedence song on there. Even though it's a documentary about 'Nam as soon as I see Ken Burns I hear old sad fiddle music.

Look forward to watching this as a war history buff, Vietnam in HD back in 2011 was excellent (especially for a History channel series) in balancing interviews with raw footage and blunt narration and I hope this achieves the same. It's was such a long, complicated, and brutal conflict.

• 1 month later...

I haven't been a fan of most of NIN's stuff post 2002, but this soundtrack is ace along with most of the scores by TR & AR. I'd say that the soundtracks have been the best thing to come out of Trent since the TDS era.

I haven't been a fan of most of NIN's stuff post 2002, but this soundtrack is ace along with most of the scores by TR & AR. I'd say that the soundtracks have been the best thing to come out of Trent since the TDS era.

I second this post. I long maintained that Trent is at his best when he keeps his cliche, whiny lyrics out of this music. That's what led me to Warp records, actually: reading the liner notes of "Further Down the Spiral" upon being mesmerized by "At the Heart of it All" and reading "created by the Aphex Twin", and then immediately tracking down a copy of "...I Care Because You Do". Now that he's doing soundtrack work, he's making the music I long hoped he would make. 

I second this post. I long maintained that Trent is at his best when he keeps his cliche, whiny lyrics out of this music. That's what led me to Warp records, actually: reading the liner notes of "Further Down the Spiral" upon being mesmerized by "At the Heart of it All" and reading "created by the Aphex Twin", and then immediately tracking down a copy of "...I Care Because You Do". Now that he's doing soundtrack work, he's making the music I long hoped he would make.
Same. Also from the same EP, "The Bottom," which was basically the first Coil track I ever heard, has always mesmerized me with its lushness.

This soundtrack and the documentary are an incredibly potent combination that dredges up tangible misery and fear. I think this is his best, most haunting OST but I'm really a big fan of all his stuff. I put it on when doing design work and then just melt away. Also very excited about the Quake soundtrack release. 

Archived