IGNORED

Day For Night 2017

BaxOutTheBox

I was there last year. Had a blast. Wasn't willing to spend the money on the blind buy, though.

Walking through the desolate areas on the second or third floor was surreal.

Not sure if I enjoyed Anklepants' performance, but I'm definitely glad I caught it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone on here going this year? Went last year?

Yes and yes

Walking through the desolate areas on the second or third floor was surreal.

Was totally unreal

Same here, yes and yes. Actually, the DEFUNKT afterparties was what changed my no to a yes.

I'm going, i'm far more excited about the Defunkt afterparties than the festival itself at this point. When i saw Bogdan AND Ceephax were playing i could hardly believe my eyes.

I have no idea how my body and mind are going to manage all this activity though, 3 days of festival and 2 afterparties. Didn't Defunkt basically go until sunrise last year?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going, i'm far more excited about the Defunkt afterparties than the festival itself at this point. When i saw Bogdan AND Ceephax were playing i could hardly believe my eyes.

I have no idea how my body and mind are going to manage all this activity though, 3 days of festival and 2 afterparties. Didn't Defunkt basically go until sunrise last year?

Start sleeping now, omnii. Bank that shit. And hit us up on the discord XD

Clashfinder is a super useful festival resource! If you're going to the fest this year, check it out/make your own timetable.

https://clashfinder.com/s/dayfornight2017/

Several of us will be heading to DEFUNKT Prefix and Afterparties Fri-Sun, so if you'll be around, make sure to say hi.  :nyan:

Really excited for the festivities to entail. My week leading up has been unfathomably difficult but also triumphant. Even though i'm travelling alone, i wanna have a nice, warm, personal experience this weekend

That being said, can we get other DFN folks on the Discord Thing™?

Doing soundchecks now; I can hear them from my 39th floor office window in Downtown Houston (I can see the venue from my office window).

I won't be there this year, but everyone have a good time!

P.S.: you might want to bring a raincoat Saturday, as the weather forecast for Houston is predicting heavy downpours Saturday evening.

Doing soundchecks now; I can hear them from my 39th floor office window in Downtown Houston (I can see the venue from my office window).

I won't be there this year, but everyone have a good time!

P.S.: you might want to bring a raincoat Saturday, as the weather forecast for Houston is predicting heavy downpours Saturday evening.

So great meeting you last year Joyrex randomly near the Bjork installation (good thing I wore my 'Quite Good' t-shirt), and all the WATMMers I met were just awesome!

Man what a weekend. Recap imminent:

Friday: I checked out the defunkt party with Kattin, xxx, Nirinien, and a few others. Otto Von Schirach, Venetian Snares and his lady we’re walking around - tried to make conversation but he just didn’t give a fuck what I had to say. The music was excellent, Gareth Clarke’s set I think was the highlight. Finally met Cygnus and we talked Autechre and Crypto for a bit. Nicest dude ever. And his hair is some of the best I’ve ever seen.

Saturday: Woke up with Nirinien and his friends to go to the Rothko Chapel. It’s this beautiful chapel with minimalistic paintings on the wall. The light that enters the building makes it seem like it’s half day and half night. We went to DFN after to see the light installations and artists like Fateen Kanaan, Lil B, Demdike Stare, James Blake, Laurie Anderson talking for 30 minutes about NASA, Venetian, and Jlin. Spent the later part of the night suffocating in cigarette smoke at Defunkt. It was in this warehouse in the middle of a residential neighborhood. Saw Bogdan, Cygnus and Ceephax. Ceephax played for only about a half hour until cops came and shut us down. Managed to get a picture with Andy and Otto. Super nice guys. We talked about about him coming to New York for a gig so fingers crossed on that one.

Sunday: got food, went to Dfn, saw Kona FM, (who Omnii recommended check her out) Rabit X House of Kenzo, Ryoji Ikeda, Godspeed, Mount KIMBIE, Justice with the whole crew (shoutout to the girl who was on the guys shoulders and hit the ground hard next to me, I literally almost broke my skull) Tim Hecker, and Nina Kraviz. Missed Thom Yorkers set but everyone told me it was almost as good as AFX’s set from last year. Still wasn’t a huge priority for me to see because of the defunkt Richard Devine collision.

Went to defunkt early this morning and saw Richard Devine perform an unbelievable set. Managed to take a great picture with him, super nice guy. His hands are so tiny - It’s so ironic. Otto played an amazing set, didn’t expect it to be a mix of dubstep, House, breakcore, and techno. Ceephax performed AGAIN to make up last night. The guy has great energy, complete opposite from his reclusive brother. After his set I went straight home to get enough energy for the flight home. I think the place got shut down again right after Ceephax. Can’t confirm that just yet.

Thank you Boomtssphace, xxx and sister S, Kattin, Omnii, Cygnus, M&L, Nirinien, Extralife, MAFGAR. Shoutout to Noah, Scott & Ashley from Venetian (had no idea what type of music Aaron played. Talked to them quite a bit before the show) and everyone else I met that made this weekend just as memorable as last years.

Every single one of you that I met were the dopest kind of people. Great vibes going around. I hope i get to talk to all of you more next year, i feel like i didn't have enough time with anyone.

I heard a lot of mixed reactions to the Venetian Snares set but i thought it was fantastic. I was really impressed with how well the collaboration worked with live guitar involved, it was unique but still distinctly Venetian Snares. 

Who said Thom Yorke was as good as Aphex Twin? I absolutely adored Thom Yorke's set, i'm surprised to say it was a highlight of the Day for Night lineup alongside Tim Hecker and Jlin. To compare it to the Aphex revelation last year though makes me wildly uncomfortable. Ceephax on the other hand, due to the circumstances and intimacy of it, is another story. That was the clear highlight of the weekend and possibly my life in general.

He shut down AGAIN the second night, he was about 40 minutes in, same scenario. I'm completely satisfied though, we got over an hour of Ceephax both nights combined. That man was a complete joy to watch in person. He said he is coming back next year too so everyone has time to plan their trips :)

I was able to stand inches away from his gear the second time he performed, it was in an incredibly tiny little spot. This was my view, it was too dark for me to catch any pictures of his actual set so i snapped this as soon as he walked away.

post-18248-0-58023500-1513650386_thumb.jpg

Wasn’t me that said Yorke was as good as Aphex (apples and oranges between those two sets), but I will say that set and Snares/Lanois were two very very special live experiences to me. I’m not even that big of a Radiohead fanboy - but I will say I plan on reassessing Thoms solo work after that.

Highlights similar to those above - but will also throw in how much I loved Bjarki’s set. One stomping banger after another.

Demdike was absolutely killer. Ikeda was ripping the walls apart w/light and sound.

Also, cheers again to striber, omnii, katten, boomtss, nirinien, xxx, and all others I met. Everyone so down to earth—with heads in space.

Hope to see you all next year!

Archived