IGNORED

Interesting things

may be rude

When Do We Stop Finding New Music? A Statistical Analysis (Stat Significant)

Open-earedness refers to an individual's desire and ability to listen and consider different sounds and musical styling. Research has shown that adolescents exhibit higher levels of open-earedness, with a greater willingness to explore and appreciate diverse musical genres. During these years of sonic exploration, music gets wrapped up in the emotion and identity formation of youth; as a result, the songs of our childhood prove wildly influential over our lifelong music tastes.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2024 at 5:53 PM, dcom said:

I find it so interesting- many people stop finding new music at a certain age but for me it’s exactly the opposite. I never discovered so much great music after the pandemic then ever before and it keeps coming 

• Like 1

https://everynoise.com/

:music:

click on genre to play example. When playing click red arrows to open a ton of artists of that genre. Click artist to hear their music, click red arrows to see a bunch of info on artist. You can click on different tracks and it will open spotify for you. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Nikon Small World Competition first began in 1975 as a means to recognize and applaud the efforts of those involved with photography through the light microscope. Since then, Small World has become a leading showcase for photomicrographers from the widest array of scientific disciplines.

https://www.nikonsmallworld.com/galleries/photomicrography-competition

https://www.nikonsmallworld.com/galleries/small-world-in-motion

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

story of a plane wherein the pilots went the wrong way and had to crash land in the amazon jungle

Edited by may be rude
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

i might have posted this already... but.. it was on the other day and i watched again and was reminded how amazing the story is and where this guy ended up and what they're accomplishing with better amputations and artificial motorized limbs.  if you're not in USA you might have to fudge your location w/a vpn or something.. it's not on youtube.. only snippets are on youtube. 

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/video/augmented/

• Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 1:35 PM, YEK said:

https://everynoise.com/

:music:

click on genre to play example. When playing click red arrows to open a ton of artists of that genre. Click artist to hear their music, click red arrows to see a bunch of info on artist. You can click on different tracks and it will open spotify for you. 

Fucking dope really!

Very nice way to explore new stuff! I like everything with the word "Experimental" lol

• 1 month later...

Watch until the end, it brought me great insight.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Farnsworth 1
  • Big Brain 1

• 2 weeks later...

landslide blocked a river in  BC canada. creating a lake and eventually the pressure will cause the landslide to give way and there will be a wall of water rushing down river.. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Six months after bringing the crocodile home, Chito released Pocho at a nearby river to return to his own life as a wild crocodile. Unbeknownst to Chito, though, the crocodile followed him home, sleeping on his veranda just so that he could be close to his best friend. After discovering Pocho the next morning, Chito knew that he would never be able to say goodbye to his scaly compadre, so he welcomed Pocho once again into his home to be part of his family. This was too much to bear for Chito’s first wife, and she left him for spending too much time with Pocho. For his part, Pocho was able to find a new wife and daughter, remarking: 
Another wife I could get. A crocodile behaving like Pocho was one in a million

https://www.npr.org/2014/02/28/283934611/chito-and-pocho

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some retired academic has a new theory on where MH370 may have entered the ocean.

You can read his paper here.  I read it and while I am certainly no expert in Doppler shifts and burst frequency offsets, it seems he makes a decent case. However, he comes off to me like a bit of a weirdo (the academic loner weirdo is a strange but not unfamiliar type to those who regularly read academic literature in any field).  Seems to me in my somewhat naive analysis of his paper that he puts a lot of weight on assumptions that the pilot chose the "PL hole" deliberately as an extremely difficult-to-search resting place. While that does fit the narrative of the widely-accepted theory that Zaharie was responsible and had deftly evaded detection to the best of his ability, it's something that simply cannot ever be proven.

It's unclear whether or not this dude's paper will undergo peer-review and be published, but we'll see.

For anyone interested, here's a nice, fairly objective article from 3.5 years ago on the consensus at the time.

Edited by EdamAnchorman
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...