IGNORED

Post-Rock thread

amad

post some recommendations on post-rock/math-rock stuff

i would like to know if there's anything similar to these guys, i'm really into their sound

the music you posted reminded me of the first few Modest Mouse LPs, used to like them a lot when I was younger. As far as post-rock goes, I've often felt like stuff like this was the source:

Math-rock-wise you might like this:

i remember being addicted to some post-rocky bands back in the day but right now i can't recall anything, guess it was all forgettable... but i've been hooked to this song which i think might fit the post-rock genre and definitely it's worth mentioning...

i remember being addicted to some post-rocky bands back in the day but right now i can't recall anything, guess it was all forgettable... 

A lot of it is. Maybe it's kind of the point, but to my mind the original wave of post rock bands were at least original and interesting.

A lot of the newer bands, like Explosions in the Sky, Do Make Say Think and everything that came after, were derivate and formulaic. To my ears, at least.

When this came out in 1994 it sounded really fresh and new (and boring, to me, but then I was in my punk rock phase. It took a few years before I could appreciate music that wasn't just loud and fast).

Slint is math rock?

It's really good, though.

Also, and a bit more recent, there's a collaboration between a former member of Grails and Slint drummer Britt Walford called Watter which is really, really lush:

Math Rock is probably the best it's ever been. Post-Rock is stronger than it's been for a long time, too. i go to a festival every year called ArcTanGent which hosts tons of math rock and post-rock/post-metal bands. check out any of their lineup posters from the past few years and you're bound to find a ton of great new stuff to listen to.

And So I Watch You From Afar are probably the best current band under the 'post-rock' banner, and they'll appeal to math rock dudes too. surprisingly anthemic and have a wide range of appeal all round, from my experience.

this is one of his best primers / guides

here's the spotify link

I love old classics like Mogwai, Slint, GSYBE, early Mono and Sigur Ros, etc. but lately I've been more into the murkier proto-post-rock / early post-rock that bleeds over to dream pop, 'math' rock, shoegaze, drone etc.

Stuff like Seefeel, Duster, Bowery Electric, Tarentel, earlier Earth, early "blackgaze" / droney black metal via Angelic Process or Boris' song "Farewell"

surprisingly anthemic and have a wide range of appeal all round, from my experience.

No offense, but "anthemic" does not sound very appealing to me at all.

To my ears post rock started to become boring when it became more rock than post. Fist pumping just doesn't do it for me. Too easy.

YMMV, of course.

na i'm with you, not usually an adjective that would make something appeal to me either, thus the 'surprisingly.' but it's a word i'd use to describe them after seeing them live, where the crowds sing along to the riffs, which is obviously pretty unusual and fun and uh 'anthemic' for instrumental music.

if you like something more on the ambient side of post-rock then yeah, they aren't going to be your thing.

• 1 month later...

Archived