IGNORED

Concepts/things that should have word representation in English.

Zephyr_Nova

For me one of the tricks to enjoy my vaporizer was to breathe in (gently) rather than taking hits like I would off a joint or cigarette. Perhaps you're already doing this but for me it took some getting used to but once I got the hang of it I didn't want to go back to smoking weed.

• Like 1

toke hard.

Wow I missed a lot of replies between what I was actually responding to and here.

But still, toke hard.  Just in general.

PS I don't even toke soft.

But even if I did, I wouldn't, because I'd toke hard.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

Yeah, that works for me.

Making a concentrated effort to stay awake despite feeling physically and mentally exhausted - to overwake oneself.  I am overwaking after a long weekend of next to no sleep so that I may still go to bed at a reasonable hour and wake up fresh tomorrow.  I overwoke yesterday and am too tired to hardtoke today.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova
  • Like 1

Two Japanese words/concepts that don't have a direct English translation:

1. tatemae - stated reason

2. honne - actual intention

This is supposedly a core principle in most business negotiations.

• 4 weeks later...

"Oblivitence" - The state of having walked into a room for a specific purpose and completely forgotten what that purpose was.

Edited by willochill

50 minutes ago, willochill said:

"Oblivitence" - The state of having walked into a room for a specific purpose and completely forgotten what that purpose was.

Covered that one already:

I was going to add a word for that thing where you enter a room to retrieve/do something, but upon entering the room completely forget what that thing was.  This is a daily occurrence for me and a lot of people I'm sure.  But I looked it up, and apparently it's referred to as both "location updating effect" and "doorway effect", both extremely awkward phrases for it imo.  Someone suggested "destinesia" which I think is far more elegant.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

13 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Covered that one already:

Dammit

Destinesia is way better too

Also has it been said, that English lacks a word, which exists in many languages, which is a word to say "yes" in contradiction to a negative statement? This has always been a cause of confusion among English speakers, for example: "You didn't go to the movies did you?" How do you contradict that and say "On the contrary, I did go to the movies!" I know in French the word is "si." I nominate any of the following for English: "Yee", "Yo", "Yay", "Yot", "Yop", or "Yeet".

• Like 1

In Norwegian/Danish/Swedish the word would be Jo, so if you pick that it would make things easier for all the Scandinavians.

• Like 1