IGNORED

Concepts/things that should have word representation in English.

Zephyr_Nova

8 hours ago, Gocab said:

In Norwegian/Danish/Swedish the word would be Jo, so if you pick that it would make things easier for all the Scandinavians.

Yeah I remember learning that. Also "Yo" is a nice combo of "Yes" and "No"

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

The ironic anti-vanity vanity wherein one is overly self-conscious about not looking vain, and puts in effort to make oneself look less fashionable/attractive because of it.  First logical phrase to come to mind was "hipster vanity".

On 6/20/2020 at 8:44 PM, willochill said:

Also has it been said, that English lacks a word, which exists in many languages, which is a word to say "yes" in contradiction to a negative statement? This has always been a cause of confusion among English speakers, for example: "You didn't go to the movies did you?" How do you contradict that and say "On the contrary, I did go to the movies!" I know in French the word is "si." I nominate any of the following for English: "Yee", "Yo", "Yay", "Yot", "Yop", or "Yeet".

In German it's "doch", the English cognate to that is "though". So the answer is "though", even if it seems counter intuitive to you right now. Just accept it.

On 6/21/2020 at 11:16 AM, Gocab said:

In Norwegian/Danish/Swedish the word would be Jo, so if you pick that it would make things easier for all the Scandinavians.

But you don't want to introduce North Germanic words into a West Germanic language, that would just be gross.

Edited by dingformung

On 5/19/2020 at 6:24 PM, user said:

You'd say the joint is overdrawn imho.

On 5/19/2020 at 7:27 PM, user said:

For me one of the tricks to enjoy my vaporizer was to breathe in (gently) rather than taking hits like I would off a joint or cigarette. Perhaps you're already doing this but for me it took some getting used to but once I got the hang of it I didn't want to go back to smoking weed.

On 5/19/2020 at 9:20 PM, Zephyr_Nova said:

toke hard.

Wow I missed a lot of replies between what I was actually responding to and here.

But still, toke hard.  Just in general.

PS I don't even toke soft.

But even if I did, I wouldn't, because I'd toke hard.

On 5/19/2020 at 9:26 PM, dingformung said:

but isn't this thread about making up new words? how about to hardtoke? l hardtoked the joint hard

improved airflow, or get looser draws, cause the original pax3 draws are too tight...

so i found this, still haven't bought it yet but by the reviews i've read hopefully it's gonna solve my problem...

Edited by Tim_J
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
19 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Sarcgasm:

1. when one cums while listening to Sarcophagus.  2. when one cums from listening to Sarcophagus. 3. when one cums in/on an Egyptian sarcophagus.

FTFY

7206_photo.jpg

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 1

On 5/5/2020 at 8:03 PM, Zephyr_Nova said:

There should be a word for when someone commits an act of kindness that has the unintended consequence of hurting its recipient(s).  I'm going to go with "committing an act of goodill"; an example of goodillness.

This is called a "bjørnetjeneste" in Norwegian, literally meaning a "bear favour" or a "bear's favour". Probably stems from some folklore or whatever. 

Of course, the stupid youth of today think it means a "huge favour". 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, psn said:

This is called a "bjørnetjeneste" in Norwegian, literally meaning a "bear favour" or a "bear's favour". Probably stems from some folklore or whatever. 

A bear hug.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, psn said:

This is called a "Bärendienst" in German, literally meaning a "bear service" or a "bear's service". Probably stems from some folklore or whatever.

Luckily, the stupid youth of today still thinks it means what it originally meant.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 5:06 PM, Tim_J said:

What's the term for when you inhale/exhale but trough your mouth instead trough the nose? 

Like, when you inhale from a joint? 

In Portuguese we use the verb puxar which means to pull... 

When you accidentally press a joint too hard so that it gets too tight and you have to pull with a lot of strength when you inhale from it... Strongly pull from it? 

I've only ever heard people say "drag" or "rip."

"I took a deep drag from this cigarette."

"I ripped the bong."

On 5/19/2020 at 5:59 PM, Tim_J said:

Ok so how do u say when u have to toke too strongly because the joint feels like it's clogged up? 

Choke

3 hours ago, luke viia said:

apologies if jazz but perhaps the dictionary of obscure sorrows could be helpful here?

Yo, that lilo is one of the weirdest parts of life.  I just reconnected with a friend I haven't seen in years and it was all cool like it was back in the day.  Crazy shit, man.

The weirdest thing was that I didn't even plan to see him.  I was meeting another friend of mine and he happened to be hanging out with my mans who moved to San Diego and was visiting for holiday.

On 7/15/2020 at 8:21 PM, Zephyr_Nova said:

The ironic anti-vanity vanity wherein one is overly self-conscious about not looking vain, and puts in effort to make oneself look less fashionable/attractive because of it.  First logical phrase to come to mind was "hipster vanity".

lol this is so watmm

• Like 2
  • Farnsworth 1

On 7/15/2020 at 3:21 PM, Zephyr_Nova said:

There's already a term for that, it's called false humility.

• 2 months later...

just saw a new word. Straggot. 

i guess "stop being such a straggot" sort of adopting the word faggot and removing association from gayness... unique meaning word.. like asshole, douchebag, shit head etc. ?? or am i getting it wrong. 

i learned of this word in this tiktok

When you do things to mitigate the negative effects of something you don't have to do but don't want to stop.  Like drinking a lot of coffee and then taking an acid relief tablet.  I do that all the time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ignatius said:

I guess "stop being such a straggot" sort of adopting the word [ ... ] and removing association from gayness... unique meaning word.. like asshole, douchebag, shit head etc. ?? or am i getting it wrong. 

The "str-" most likely indicates straight. So it's a counter-insult aimed at straight people I guess :nelson: 

• Farnsworth 1

21 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

The "str-" most likely indicates straight. So it's a counter-insult aimed at straight people I guess :nelson: 

that's what i think. it's a way to call someone a faggot but have it not be about being gay. so, more like the way young kids use the word. 

it would be good if it caught on because then there would be clarification when used. 

Edited by ignatius

the process by which a concept is formalized by a series of terms which become increasingly technical over time, increasing generic, stripped of any particular emotional or qualitative weight. ex.: the term "content creator" coming to replace "artist". kind of like an inversion of the process by which something initially clothed in very formal/technical terms gradually gains character & a sense of familiarity, as it comes to be referred to by increasingly slangy or "cute" terms

• Like 2

I suggest corpopriation.

I regret my suggestion, I should do better.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Like 2