IGNORED

Concepts/things that should have word representation in English.

Zephyr_Nova

10 hours ago, Cryptowen said:

the process by which a concept is formalized by a series of terms which become increasingly technical over time, increasing generic, stripped of any particular emotional or qualitative weight. ex.: the term "content creator" coming to replace "artist". kind of like an inversion of the process by which something initially clothed in very formal/technical terms gradually gains character & a sense of familiarity, as it comes to be referred to by increasingly slangy or "cute" terms

The one that irritates me is when people say "partner" instead of "lover."

Most people I know say number one fuck hole/pole.

Sorry, this is a lie.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Thanks 1
  • Burger 2
  • Farnsworth 1

8 hours ago, drillkicker said:

The one that irritates me is when people say "partner" instead of "lover."

ooh yah "partner" is a pretty bad one. of all the terms they could have went with, they went with the one that makes it sound like you're going to open a used car business with the person (and, more specifically, that said business is your primary interest in being with them).

• Like 2

"Partner" is technically very useful tho. "Boyfriend" or "girlfriend" makes you sound like a child, but grown adults don't have a better term for a committed partner they're not bound to by marriage - other than partner. It's also gender neutral which is important. 

The issue I guess is that it sounds clinical, and also can't be immediately distinguished from other meanings of the word?

Another issue is what do you call someone you're seeing but not totally committed to or emotionally involved with? Friend? Again, too broad. And yeah there's FWB or fuckbuddy but that's a bit personal, and one friend referred to theirs as a "playmate", which sounds grossly childish to me. And then there's "lover" hahah which to me just sounds dated and weirdly pretentious, I imagine it being said by a middle aged European woman. "Zis is my lovér, Maurice"...

So we're stuck with partner and friend I guess? Those are the ones I use. 

7 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

So we're stuck with partner and friend I guess? Those are the ones I use. 

"Partner" sounds very stuck-up, as if you are trying to be super adult and mature. Other ones that sound as terrible as "partner" are:

• life companion
  • significant other

Why not "cohabitant"? It's the most beautiful one.