IGNORED

Israeli-Palestinian conflict

via the UN regarding mass graves

https://news.un.org/en/story/2024/04/1148876

The development follows the recovery of hundreds of bodies “buried deep in the ground and covered with waste” over the weekend at Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis, central Gaza, and at Al-Shifa Hospital in Gaza City in the north. A total of 283 bodies were recovered at Nasser Hospital, of which 42 were identified. 

Among the deceased were allegedly older people, women and wounded, while others were found tied with their hands…tied and stripped of their clothes,” said Ravina Shamdasani, spokesperson for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Sad 2

i just heard on the radio that us senate ratified a bill to fund israel, but also humanitarian aid for gaza.

this actually made me feel terrible, it's such a fucking sick world, with sick minds running it

• Like 2

slick and well done video about why evangelicals are fucking crazy and how they're funding settlers in west bank etc. 

there's a part two

Edited by ignatius
  • Thanks 1

https://www.axios.com/2024/04/26/antisemitism-monitor-colleges-columbia-israel?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=social

Why it matters: It's the first bill introduced in Congress as a direct response to the pro-Palestinian protests that have rocked Columbia University and other colleges in recent days.

Driving the news: Reps. Ritchie Torres (D-N.Y.) and Mike Lawler (R-N.Y.) are introducing the College Oversight and Legal Updates Mandating Bias Investigations and Accountability Act – or COLUMBIA Act.

• The bill would allow the Department of Education to send a "third-party antisemitism monitor" to any college that receives federal funding — and to revoke that funding for colleges that don't comply.

Feel like this bullshit is bound to backfire and to work toward actually making some Americans become legit anti-Semitic, especially younger people, which is not good for anybody. Still kind of shocking to me that a foreign government seems to have such a stranglehold over American representative democracy.

interesting interview from diplomat who resigned. once she gets going.. some interesting facts about the system at work.. probably obvious or implied from a system like this but interesting to hear 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Had a friend from way back got indoctrinated into Stand with Us https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StandWithUs...used to post straight hasbara shit on fb and twitter....then in 2018 was like okay guys maybe we have taken this too far...now hes calling himself some kind of peacenik....and ignoring everything....hands over ears...lalalalala

Edited by Crazing
repetition

6 minutes ago, ignatius said:

interesting interview from diplomat who resigned. once she gets going.. some interesting facts about the system at work.. probably obvious or implied from a system like this but interesting to hear 

Watched this yesterday, definitely learned some new things about the state department. Democracy Now has had good coverage on the people who resigned publicly, like Annelle Sheline and Josh Paul too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

THE HAGUE, May 20 (Reuters) - The International Criminal Court's prosecutor said on Monday he had requested arrest warrants for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, his defence chief (Yoav Gallant) and three Hamas leaders (Yahya Sinwar; Mohammed Al-Masri and Ismail Haniyeh) over alleged war crimes.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/icc-prosecutor-seeks-arrest-warrants-israeli-prime-minister-netanyahu-defense-2024-05-20/

lol yahu is now a wanted man

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

On 5/21/2024 at 5:43 AM, Nebraska said:

THE HAGUE, May 20 (Reuters) - The International Criminal Court's prosecutor said on Monday he had requested arrest warrants for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, his defence chief (Yoav Gallant) and three Hamas leaders (Yahya Sinwar; Mohammed Al-Masri and Ismail Haniyeh) over alleged war crimes.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/icc-prosecutor-seeks-arrest-warrants-israeli-prime-minister-netanyahu-defense-2024-05-20/

lol yahu is now a wanted man

The Guardian had a decent editorial on the topic here: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/may/21/the-guardian-view-on-the-icc-undermining-this-court-undermines-international-standards

One thing that stands out to me is this argument here (in the fourth paragraph of the article): "Many in Israel – including staunch critics of Mr Netanyahu – are outraged by what they see as a false equivalence between a terrorist organisation and a democratically elected government."

I thought one of the constant justifications that I've read for Israel invading Palestine is that Hamas was elected by the Palestinians, thus Hamas represents the will of the people. So either Hamas is a democratically elected and they are equivalent to the Israeli government, or they aren't and don't represent the will of the Palestinian people. Either way - war crimes. Or of course - the third alternative - the Israeli government is actually the terrorist organization :duckhunt:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ignatius said:

objective talk about israel, the region, USA/Iran/Russia/China as relates to it etc. listening now to the QA portion... "500,000 israelis left israel after october 7th."   wasn't aware of that. and more are applying for passports in other european countries like poland etc. 

it's weird to hear people talk like this about such a dark situation but that's the kind of detachment that is required i think when in that world of policy issues and what it all means to different players. so, be prepared for that if you listen to this talk.  it's an interesting dynamic w/how fucking fuckt various agendas have changed since oct 7th. 

Posted (edited)
On 1/5/2024 at 5:47 PM, decibal cooper said:

Looks like from this Guardian article that the government of South Africa has brought formal charges to the Hague (through International Court of Justice) against Israel for committing genocide.

I truly believe they only did this to win over some voters. the ANC is acting like they are taking such a brave stance against Israel to get points from the people bc otherwhise they wont get a majority this time. All just to divert the attention away from the fact that SA itself is in decay because of them. Blegh. We all know these charges werent gonna amount to anything

Edited by thumbass

On 5/23/2024 at 11:36 AM, ignatius said:

"500,000 israelis left israel after october 7th."  

For me, having feet in both Palestinian and Ukrainian communities has been nuts this last year, not just seeing geopolitical hot takes but also the bonkers personal stories. There are Palestinians who moved to Ukraine to escape previous rounds of Israeli bullshit (there is a big Levantine community there) who then came to Canada under CUAET. There are Ukrainians who went to Palestine with their spouses after the Russian invasion. I heard of at least one Ukrainian who's in Gaza (as of a month ago, anyway). Palestinians who moved to Syria only to get bombed by Russia there. Ukrainians who fled to Israel in 2022 and then fled to Russia in 2023 (!). Holocaust survivors using their moral gravity to support every conceivable stance, including advocating genocide. 

Then of course you get the nauseating geopolitical takes. It's staggering how few people are able to unequivocally make a common sense statement like "all invasions and occupations are bad". One of them just has to be good somehow. It just has to be the victims' fault otherwise my team would look bad!

Also, fuck these "realist" talking heads. They can make worthy points but their starting point is essentially imperialist apologia. A "sphere of influence" IS an empire.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Walter Ostanek said:

For me, having feet in both Palestinian and Ukrainian communities has been nuts this last year, not just seeing geopolitical hot takes but also the bonkers personal stories. There are Palestinians who moved to Ukraine to escape previous rounds of Israeli bullshit (there is a big Levantine community there) who then came to Canada under CUAET. There are Ukrainians who went to Palestine with their spouses after the Russian invasion. I heard of at least one Ukrainian who's in Gaza (as of a month ago, anyway). Palestinians who moved to Syria only to get bombed by Russia there. Ukrainians who fled to Israel in 2022 and then fled to Russia in 2023 (!). Holocaust survivors using their moral gravity to support every conceivable stance, including advocating genocide. 

Then of course you get the nauseating geopolitical takes. It's staggering how few people are able to unequivocally make a common sense statement like "all invasions and occupations are bad". One of them just has to be good somehow. It just has to be the victims' fault otherwise my team would look bad!

Also, fuck these "realist" talking heads. They can make worthy points but their starting point is essentially imperialist apologia. A "sphere of influence" IS an empire.

there's an absurdity to it all and constant cruelty.  ceaseless cruelty.  and i agree about the realist talking heads. the way they talk about things so detached makes my skin crawl a bit but in those circles people tend to talk about the nuts and bolts of agendas and how one thing might effect/or not effect some chess piece on the board. it's a bizarre thing and i think removal of language that embraces humanity and stays rooted in the fact that human beings are involved ultimately benefits the occupying forces in whatever scenario they're talking about. 

i mentioned the number of people who left israel just to reinforce the point that all this shit has only made israel less safe in the eyes of people who live there and the idea of new settlers and migration of americans there is something netanyahu depends on in order to have a viable country with a future.. that realist talking head is arguing that israel is fucked because of what israel is doing. which, again, is fucking awful to think about it that way because there's millions of people way more fucked because of what israel is doing and that's where the focus should be. 

• Like 1