IGNORED

Israeli-Palestinian conflict

zlemflolia

One of my rellies is convinced that israel pursues a 20x death toll whenever anything kicks off, e.g. if 50 israelis get killed, the IDF will go schizo until 1,000 palestinians are lying in the rubble, then get bored of the brutality and go home. The 2021 strikes on Gaza backed it up quite creepily. So if true, they're nearing that milestone this time round.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Walter Ostanek said:

One of my rellies is convinced that israel pursues a 20x death toll whenever anything kicks off, e.g. if 50 israelis get killed, the IDF will go schizo until 1,000 palestinians are lying in the rubble, then get bored of the brutality and go home. The 2021 strikes on Gaza backed it up quite creepily. So if true, they're nearing that milestone this time round.

have seen that idea echoed from other people. i'd be surprised if it didn't add up over time. 

Iran, Russia, and China on some joint naval exercise shit out there in the Middle East:

The commander of Iran's Navy, Shahram Irani, announced that other countries have also been invited to participate, although did not specify beyond China and Russia.

Irani emphasized that “the primary strategy of the Iranian Army Navy in the current situation is to safeguard the interests and economic resources of the Islamic system and its people,” referring to growing tensions in the Middle East sparked by Iran-backed militia Hamas's invasion of Israel on October 7.

Biden’s national security adviser John Kirby has said the US would not be in favor of any assault on Rafah without due consideration of civilians.

That kind of military operation “would be a disaster”, Kirby has said, “and it’s not something that we would support”.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/feb/11/biden-netanyahu-rafah-military-operation-safety-plan

i’m not sure i’ve heard the Biden administration define anything resembling a red line but this is at least leaning towards that. if they don’t back it up it’s pointless of course, we’ll see, but it’s some kind of possible end towards the US stopping this insane blank check shit to Israel with all the horrible shit they continue to do.

Edited by auxien
wording
  • Like 1

ethnic cleansing/genocide except for a small amount of palestinians to serve as workers to the israeli population. this has always been the goal. kill the people and take the land. let most leave or die and a few stay to clean homes and be gardeners. 

Opinion: I’m an American doctor who went to Gaza. What I saw wasn’t war — it was annihilation

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2024-02-16/rafah-gaza-hospitals-surgery-israel-bombing-ground-offensive-children

On one occasion, a handful of children, all about ages 5 to 8, were carried to the emergency room by their parents. All had single sniper shots to the head. These families were returning to their homes in Khan Yunis, about 2.5 miles away from the hospital, after Israeli tanks had withdrawn. But the snipers apparently stayed behind. None of these children survived.

• Sad 5

"I think sometimes we underestimate just how vulnerable Israel is on the public-relations front. That's why they spend so much money on propaganda. And that's why they panic every time they feel like they're losing the propaganda war." NF

• Confused 2

will Ai scrub everything from the internet some day? 

i'm sure it'll be fine. cleansing fire or something will sort it out. jebus will come down and go Hulk on the baddies. Marvel 2025 line up gonna be sick!

https://www.newsweek.com/marvel-israeli-superhero-disney-sabra-captain-america-shira-haas-1839083

joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe—Israeli superhero Sabra.

Debuting in 2024's Captain America: New World Order alongside Anthony Mackie, Sabra's inclusion has been divisive from the start. However, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict has deepened the issue and created more potential pitfalls for the studio.

oof. everything is enshitified long before it is enshitified. 

• Like 1

Protestor at the Israeli consulate in DC really out here self-immolating 

https://abcnews.go.com/US/man-critical-condition-after-setting-fire-israeli-embassy/story?id=107531773

It was not immediately clear why the man set himself ablaze.

Apparently this happened at the Israeli consulate in Atlanta, Georgia too back in December: 

22 minutes ago, ignatius said:

will Ai scrub everything from the internet some day? 

No, but real information will be so utterly drowned in a tsunami of deepfakes that the internet will become impossible to use

Hard-hitting Owen Jones vid. Thing is, he argues from the perspective that what is happening in Gaza is unusually horrific, but really it isn't. Even just in my lifetime, all of this stuff already happened in Bosnia, and most of the outside world only gave a shit if it impacted their strategic interests - and if it didn't, well: "it didn't happen, and if it did, they deserved it". Ditto Palestine half a dozen other times, Chechnya, Yemen, Syria, Ukraine (not least Mariupol). Etc etc etc.

This utterly horrific dehumanisation, apathy and hypocrisy is actually the norm, right across the geopolitical chessboard.

My wife is of Palestinian background, and consequently so are lots of my family, and one of my in-laws is an activist who's prominent enough to have been the target of shit stirring articles in the rightwing blogosphere. Obviously we were out at protests a bunch over the last few months. But even they, in a moment like this, where some of their (my!) extended family have been killed and they appreciate every scrap of support - they're still seriously weirded out by a fair number of the others who they march alongside at protests. Because they know that these people are campists, supporting Palestine not for innate humanitarianism but because it tickles their geopolitical fancy, and if the geopolitical winds were blowing a different way, they'd be totally fine with this.

There has never been a time when any world power, or "the international community" at large, has cared about the value of human life. Only the life of those humans whose suffering impacts their power 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Walter Ostanek said:

No, but real information will be so utterly drowned in a tsunami of deepfakes that the internet will become impossible to use

Hard-hitting Owen Jones vid. Thing is, he argues from the perspective that what is happening in Gaza is unusually horrific, but really it isn't. Even just in my lifetime, all of this stuff already happened in Bosnia, and most of the outside world only gave a shit if it impacted their strategic interests - and if it didn't, well: "it didn't happen, and if it did, they deserved it". Ditto Palestine half a dozen other times, Chechnya, Yemen, Syria, Ukraine (not least Mariupol). Etc etc etc.

This utterly horrific dehumanisation, apathy and hypocrisy is actually the norm, right across the geopolitical chessboard.

My wife is of Palestinian background, and consequently so are lots of my family, and one of my in-laws is an activist who's prominent enough to have been the target of shit stirring articles in the rightwing blogosphere. Obviously we were out at protests a bunch over the last few months. But even they, in a moment like this, where some of their (my!) extended family have been killed and they appreciate every scrap of support - they're still seriously weirded out by a fair number of the others who they march alongside at protests. Because they know that these people are campists, supporting Palestine not for innate humanitarianism but because it tickles their geopolitical fancy, and if the geopolitical winds were blowing a different way, they'd be totally fine with this.

There has never been a time when any world power, or "the international community" at large, has cared about the value of human life. Only the life of those humans whose suffering impacts their power 

i get what you're saying no doubt that's part of it and always is.. people hitching their wagon to things for reasons other than what seems most prescient.. 

i do think in a few ways this is different. the internet of things. that side of it is laying it out pretty clearly for a generation that hasn't experienced this before. it's new to them. as much as they're tuned in to historical injustices and the scope of horrors that predate their existence.. this is one thing they haven't lived through in real time. they haven't experienced the facts in the light of day type of a situation absolutely married to the indifference of global powers and business as usual daily life.. not to mention the perceived hypocrisy of so many people/institutions. i do think some older people are having that moment too.. "oh, this is who we are and who we've always been so of course this is how it will go.. because it's supposed to go this way. this isn't new." [are we the baddies?] and i think a lot of that is via the internet as well. some people getting a big wake up after having their heads deeply into normal media channels of the big 3 or 4 news agencies/TV networks etc.

so, i'm guessing for a lot of younger people it's going to be traumatic and a sort of end of innocence about where the world comes down on things like genocide when it seems so obvious to them.  but it's hard to say.. so many young people have been onto doomer dark meme feeds for ages now.. 

also, there's a pretty solid core wave of people who line up on the side of atrocities and see every single complex issue as binary and the answer to these inconvenient troubles to be "just get rid of them all". they stick to the easily debunked narratives of "well, they voted for hamas so it's what they get" or whatever absolutely lazy fucking don't give a shit thing keeps the trajectory of the 'normal' on lock so they can focus on being american and getting butthurt whenever anyone says anything bad about the thing/person/place they hold so dear for whatever reasons... 

but i hear ya.. it's always been this way.. anyone who's followed US foreign policy even a little and maybe read history book outside the normie circles has some idea of how it all goes and what messages we're told and all that deep shit filled trench of propaganda piped into people's homes. 

and before all that humans did the things endlessly. power is typically wielded by psychopaths. it is depressing though. 

edit: and endlessly frustrating. just typing out the thoughts.. ugh. 

edit edit:

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/man-sets-self-fire-israeli-embassy-air-force/

An active-duty airman set himself on fire outside the Israeli embassy in Washington, D.C. today, in uniform. 

The District of Columbia Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department confirmed to Task & Purpose that they received a report about a man on fire outside the embassy just before 1 p.m. Eastern Time and dispatched emergency services. The fire had been extinguished by uniformed members of the Secret Service. EMS took the man to an area hospital, saying he was suffering from “critical life threatening injuries.”

The incident appears to be in protest of Israel’s war in Gaza. Independent journalist Talia Jane obtained video of the self-immolation, although it has not been posted online beyond accounts that are quickly taken down. On X, former known as Twitter, Jane reports that the man in Air Force uniform said he was “an active duty member of the U.S. Air Force and I will no longer be complicit in genocide.” Filming himself walking, he said that what he was going to do would be minimal compared to what is happening to Palestinians. He then set himself on fire and repeatedly shouted “Free Palestine.”

Screenshot-2024-02-25-at-13-08-54-GHNPZ6

Edited by ignatius
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

An Israeli official told CNN IDF troops did use live fire on people surrounding aid truck as "the crowd approached the forces in a manner that posed a threat to the troops, who responded to the threat with live fire. The incident is under review."

The aid trucks tried to escape the area, accidentally ramming others and causing further deaths and injuries, the eyewitnesses added to CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/israel-hamas-war-gaza-news-02-29-24/h_c09b6821c90a21b059bc5baf5622b28c

IDF opened fire on Palestinians trying to get food from an aid truck.

Protestors holding Israeli flags at the Kerem Shalom border crossing between Israel and Gaza Strip appear to have blocked aid shipments into Gaza on Thursday, videos obtained by CNN show. 

Videos show a line of aid trucks reversing away from the crossing, obstructing the deliverance of humanitarian shipments to the territory.

Dozens of people stand by the lorries, surrounded by Israeli flags, with some holding placards demanding the release of hostages. The extent of the disruption is unclear. 

https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/israel-hamas-war-gaza-news-02-29-24/h_212836734d72ca9b4d2604f208f928c4

Israeli citizens actively blocking aid trucks trying to get into Gaza. "Tsav 9" is the group, actively trying to starve out all 2+ mil left in Gaza to get the hostages back.

massacres and active starvation attempts, all ongoing. fucking terrifying shit. and America keeps up with only the very lightest hints of any changes here from the Biden admin. good on that Aaron kid for standing up for something, but unfortunately (as i'm sure he knew) it was a 30 second blip on most news shows, has done nothing to sway anything in America. preaching to the choir sort of shit.

• Sad 3

Absolutely fucking disgusting this war.

An atrocity.

How can humans be so full of hatred and utter apathy.

And none of our leaders dare to stand up and put a stop to this madness.

This world is going down the shitter, isn't it. All downhill from here. A sad fucking shitshow.

I'm really losing my belief in humanity...

Or maybe I'm just concerning myself to much with all the bad things happening in the world. Just take it as it is maybe. Do small good things. Gotta keep sane and stay happy in daily life in this clusterfuck. I don't know.

Edited by MaartenVC
  • Like 2

On 2/29/2024 at 12:35 PM, MaartenVC said:

How can humans be so full of hatred and utter apathy.

a lot of it stems from judgmental belief systems forced into their heads by their parents since they were kids. once those beliefs are baked in and turned into undeniable truths, it's really hard to ever see things in a different light. and I mean not just these humans in the middle east, but all over.

This world is going down the shitter, isn't it. All downhill from here. A sad fucking shitshow.

it's been going down the shitter for thousands of years because of humans. a quick browse through history shows how horrible groups of people have been to each other when they don't agree on something. now we have the unfortunate luxury of witnessing it all in real time thanks to internet / phones / media.

Just take it as it is maybe. Do small good things. Gotta keep sane and stay happy in daily life in this clusterfuck. I don't know.

that's it man. try and spread positivity in your daily interactions and relationships. helps to keep in mind there's a lot of stuff in the world you can't control. a lot of bad out there, this is fact. but you can control your own head space and actions. best to focus on that before trying to throw the weight of the world on your shoulders.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, decibal cooper said:

each plane load of aid is like half the amount a truck can deliver... 

• Like 1

https://www.axios.com/2024/03/12/biden-netanyahu-clash-us-intelligence-report

Catch up quick: A top U.S. intelligence agency in its annual threat assessment released Monday cited deepening "distrust of Netanyahu's ability to rule" since the Israel-Hamas war began in October.

• "Netanyahu's viability as leader as well as his governing coalition of far-right and ultra orthodox parties that pursued hardline policies on Palestinian and security issues may be in jeopardy," the Office of the Director of National Intelligence report said.

• Like 1

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, the top-ranking Jewish elected official in U.S. history and a top advocate for Israel in Congress, announced that he sees Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as an obstacle to peace in the country's war with Hamas. He said it was time for the country to hold new elections.

"Prime Minister Netanyahu has lost his way by allowing his political survival to take precedence over the best interests of Israel," Schumer said.

https://www.npr.org/2024/03/14/1238555789/chuck-schumer-calls-for-new-elections-in-israel-breaking-with-benjamin-netanyahu?utm_medium=JSONFeed&utm_campaign=news&utm_source=press.coop

America making a play for the Israeli throne. his ‘ ‘ ‘“”potential”” ‘ ‘ ‘ successor already met with some top US pols a week or so back. v curious (re:scared) to see if this sends Netanyahu/his friendlies into a rage or what. 

tinfoil hat theory perhaps.. but saw this kicking up in instagram... 

regarding tiktok.. the israel lobby put in writing in a meeting with congress that "tiktok is propelling negative narratives about israel and there is a generational problem we need to deal with".. in a nutshell people saying recent meetings by the lobby throw shade on tiktok and blame the viral nature of videos about the israel/hamas war as causing them to lose younger generations' support. 

tinfoil hat stuff is saying these meetings are what's behind the proposed tiktok ban voted on by congress just days ago. 

• Like 3