IGNORED

Which is your favourite sampler???

TheBro

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OT sounds fine, if it's sounding terrible you might be gainstaging it weird or leaving timestretch on when you don't need it.

My interface, which is pretty nice but not world class (Q3 2012 BLA signature mod Digi002), sounds better but not better enough that I don't keep going back to a workflow where I mix everything OTB and the whole mix goes through the OT on the way in, because I usually end up with better music that still sounds good if I do that than if I multitrack everything and obsess over the mix.  Both have their advantages and disadvantages and I'll probably go back to a lot of multitracking pretty soon, but my point is that the difference in quality between recording something direct vs recording it through the OT isn't even close to big enough to make it not worth doing when you need what the OT can do. It definitely sounds better than an MBox and I've heard some pretty good sounding stuff recorded with just an MBox.

I kind of want an Alesis Samplerack just to have a convenient no-frills MIDI one-shot sample player to stick in an extra rack space I've got and load with original drum sounds.  They were a huge failure and too new to be "cool" so a used one should be cheap but they actually seem hard to find, and I don't care enough to pay the $125 or so they go for new-in-box (seems like they only ever show up new in box because nobody bought them). $50 would be pretty tempting.

EDIT: that $50 would be better spent on the parts to rackmount the Axoloti, though. Not that I'm going to do either any time soon, I'm broke and have more important stuff to spend money on when I do get some to spare.

I'm gonna put a vote in for the Model:Samples, since I don't think it's been mentioned yet.

It's not a true sampler in that it only plays back samples you load into it and doesn't record them, but it is one of the quickest and most fun devices I own. Its sample playback is pretty transparent in that it doesn't appear to colour the samples at all, which means it's not going to become a classic due to that, but the filters, distortion and effects make up for that imo. 

I love the Octatrack, and still consider it my #1 electronic instrument, but sometimes I just want to sit down with a nice, light groovebox and jam out some fun patterns. I made everything in this video in less than an hour the other day:

(it's also a bit of a plug for my new sample pack ?)

I'm totally an Elektron fanboy as a lot of people already know, but hey, it's for a reason.

On 7/12/2020 at 8:17 AM, modey said:

(it's also a bit of a plug for my new sample pack ?)

And what a nice sample pack iot is too! Itching to get it loaded onto my Digitakt this weekend. I'm also an elektron fanboy, I love the fact you could do a whole live set on any one of their devices, and the parameter locking system lets you get so much more variety going on

On 7/13/2020 at 10:29 AM, thawkins said:

All synths are samplers, because eventually what you do is manipulate a rapidly repeating sample of one sine-saw-tri-square-whatever waveform anyway. :catrecline:

image.png.34a1e672ba6fcdfaab82dc5ae36f9eaa.png
The waveforms in synthesizers are generated, not sampled. 

1 hour ago, user said:

image.png.34a1e672ba6fcdfaab82dc5ae36f9eaa.png
The waveforms in synthesizers are generated, not sampled. 

06f0dc6bcf03999069e1a5f61bd5cb55.jpg

(except sample based synthesizers like a PPG Wave or every ROMpler ever or a D-50 that does both)

I think it's more interesting to look at sample playback/recording as a sawtooth (or triangle or ramp or whatever) wave looking up a position in contiguous memory. Then you can start to break those components apart and do more interesting things.

18 hours ago, sweepstakes said:

I think it's more interesting to look at sample playback/recording as a sawtooth (or triangle or ramp or whatever) wave looking up a position in contiguous memory. Then you can start to break those components apart and do more interesting things.

It's quite easy to use Pure Data to set up a position look up that starts linear (start to end), but where you can warp the look up function to be gradually different.

IT'S MATH, YOU SHOULD CHECK IT OUT SOMETIME...

:catrecline:

5 hours ago, thawkins said:

It's quite easy to use Pure Data to set up a position look up that starts linear (start to end), but where you can warp the look up function to be gradually different.

That's exactly the kind of stuff I'm talking about! I like doing that stuff in SuperCollider as well, you can do this kind of wrapping but you can also create an envelope and control the times, levels, and curves. When you get modulo and addition/subtraction involved it gets pretty interesting.

Archived