IGNORED

black dresses

zlemflolia

1 hour ago, cyanobacteria said:

black dresses is a band built partially around the pains of being a transgender person.  100gecs is a band built around a combination of the overuse of modern shit tier pop cliches and early 2000s emo tropes. while im not a big fan of the latter and not that familiar with them, to say there's no depth to the former is disingenuous

BelovedEsteemedFrilledlizard-size_restri

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cyanobacteria said:

to say there's no depth to the former is disingenuous

Not disingenuous at all. I am being completely sincere when I say that I find no depth to their music or art. Depth is not imbued to their art simply by virtue of them being trans persons, or any related trauma. Recognizing that art and appreciation of it is inherently subjective, I find nothing novel nor striking in their art, nor anything of particular beauty. I think their pastiche approach of combining noise, spoken word, and other genres trite and lazy, and I think artists like Genesis P-Orridge explored issues around gender in a manner much more in depth and thought-provoking.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

Not disingenuous at all. I am being completely sincere when I say that I find no depth to their music or art. Depth is not imbued to their art simply by virtue of them being trans persons, or any related trauma. Recognizing that art and appreciation of it is inherently subjective, I find nothing novel nor striking in their art, nor anything of particular beauty. I think their pastiche approach of combining noise, spoken word, and other genres trite and lazy, and I think artists like Genesis P-Orridge explored issues around gender in a manner much more in depth and thought-provoking.

sorry its not big brain enough for you.  miserable screaming is compelling enough

On 8/20/2020 at 1:51 PM, cyanobacteria said:

sorry its not big brain enough for you.  miserable screaming is compelling enough

What a lazy and sophomoric response to a thoughtful post. Grow some self awareness plz.

1 hour ago, sweepstakes said:

What a lazy and sophomoric response to a thoughtful post. Grow some self awareness plz.

im sorry my response to someone saying there is no depth or artistic value to someone else's art that they clearly put a lot of musical skill and emotional value into isnt something i take seriously or respond to

Sounds like they knock these out in about an hour at most tbh, but hey art

• Like 2

Do you really expect me to spend my weekend making weak amnesia scanner knock offs?

well, I take that back, they're probably not trying to emulate AS. I don't think I have it in me to write Emo tunes, even with synths and drum machines. I'll try to make you an album of cummies next weekend if I can get my lappy up and running.

nah, I probably wont.

Edited by Gocab

"The music and ideas I compose come from a female heart, whatever that means, and I don't want to partially distort the transmission through an 'effeminate male' mask any longer. I don't fully understand what I mean, or why it is true, but I experience it with lived certainty, and say it with sincerity."

Edited by Tim_J
  • Like 1

I'm suspicous of art that requires so much exposition. I'm also afraid that many younger audiences expect this, and in fact appreciate art more for the exposition and social cachet it suggests than the art itself. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, sweepstakes said:

I'm suspicous of art that requires so much exposition. I'm also afraid that many younger audiences expect this, and in fact appreciate art more for the exposition and social cachet it suggests than the art itself. 

That’s a bingo. 

19 hours ago, sweepstakes said:

i dont really see how it applies to any of the music posted in this thread, it seems like a contrived response meant to fit a narrative

6 minutes ago, cyanobacteria said:

i dont really see how it applies to any of the music posted in this thread, it seems like a contrived response meant to fit a narrative

Low-effort, otherwise unremarkable art made by someone who uses her identity to explain and perhaps boost its relevance.

There's plenty of excellent art made by folks, who happen to be non-cis, that stands on its own without subtext. See Wendy Carlos, Catherine Christer-Hennix, Émilie Gillet, the aforementioned Genesis Porridge, some folks on this forum, etc.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, sweepstakes said:

I think you're saying  that it's the social media performative aspect that appeals more. Is that right?

Imagine Aphex jumping on whatever platform to defend and explain his music in terms of relation to transgender theory and social constructivism, as opposed to discussing, you know, the actual music.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sweepstakes said:

It's not about young/old audiences or age, though. These are phenomena that spread through all generations.

5 minutes ago, dingformung said:

It's not about young/old audiences or age, though. These are phenomena that spread through all generations.

While it is true that it's not necessarily restricted to younger audiences, older listeners never grew up with social media as part of the performative aspect of art, and so might not necessarily expect the exposition that sweepstakes is discussing.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

I think you're saying  that it's the social media performative aspect that appeals more. Is that right?

I think that's about right.

FWIW when I mentioned Carlos I had this in mind - IDM AF ?

@dingformung you are absolutely right, it's just something that seems particularly true for the (very connected) 18-25 crowd as of late. I don't remember that being such a big deal when I was college age but it could just be that I'm getting old.

• Like 2